Golden Boy has a big day

When we're putting up 17 against ball state and Iowa state, give me a holler. Until then, keep bragging up your boys 5 wins against the weakest schedule in my lifetime. I'm not expecting we set the world on fire with our total lack of overall talent but at least we'll go down swinging this year. Remember the two minute dump off drill against Maryland down two scores? Or remember the 3 points we had with ten minutes left against ball state? It's called quicksand. That's how captain Kirk coaches qb's. We need a guy that says **** you Kirk. I ain't going out like that.

To be fair, wasn't it prior to the season he was also told he was going to get a fair shot at the starting QB job, which became pretty apparent as the year went on that was not the case.

Let's make it more plain... the fans were told that CJ was going to play some, more, a few series, in games and he was never seen.

Coaches either shouldnt say stuff like that or build it into their game plan.

And as others have said, the hawk offense took whole halves of games off during about 5 games where CJ might and probably would have added a spark.

He does have a point. Jakes numbers were pointed out, same here. Only exception is that it was the spring game.

But, also point out it wasn't just that his receivers didn't catch, Goldie also over threw some. Also... Jakes receivers didn't catch them all.

so at the end of the day...my spring ball take is that Goldie will not be the Namath most all thought/think he is...

So judging by your last sentence, you think Joe Namath is the very next step up from Jake Rudock? In my opinion there is a big window between the 2 and CJ more than likely falls somewhere in that window. Maybe you are a huge Colts fan and i mistook your Namath analogy though.

Zeroes like ICHawk24 don't know where their tongue ends and Kirk's @ss begins. It would be nice if nancy boys like him could pick a board and stick to it instead of cross posting their drivel across multiple boards.

Lost in the back and forth about Beathard and Rudock is the simple realization of the following.........

Almost no one has claimed they are hyped up for Iowa Football this year because Beathard will be the QB instead of Rudock. Whoever QB's this year is irrelevant as this team is pure dog crap. The difference between Beathard and Rudock this year at best would be 5-6 wins if Rudock started and 6 or 7 if Beathard QB's.

The - lost - opportunity came last year when Iowa had the right schedule and just enough talent for 10 wins to be on the table and a West Division Title had Kirk not once again handicapped the team with his moron personnel decisions. The 10 wins would have made us a paper tiger and we would have gotten destroyed vs. OSU and probably in our bowl against an even better opponent than Tennessee but at the end of the day 10 wins on paper looks the same.

Now, with 10 wins maybe we get some momentum going in this program, maybe we are able to fill holes with some JC recruits for this year, maybe we get a better response on the recruiting trail from high school recruits. A lot of maybes but they are all possibilities with 10 wins but Kirk ****** that down his leg sticking with a QB who led us to a whole 3 points at home in over 50 minutes of play vs. a MAC team, 17 against one of the worst D's in all of D1 and then started him the following week and every week after that he wasn't injured.

Rudock had a MUCH better Offensive line and receiving corps than Beathard will have this year so let little worms like ICHawk24 think he's proving some point by pointing out Beathard's performance in a spring game or even this year when the games start.

Anyone not trying to permanently suckle at the teet of Ferentz knows the opportunity and benefit of making the QB change was last year.

-------Rudock had a MUCH better Offensive line and receiving corps than Beathard will have this year so let little worms like ICHawk24 think he's proving some point by pointing out Beathard's performance in a spring game or even this year when the games start.

That is the genius of Kurt. First season starting QB = built in excuses. Don't worry about that Buckeye QB thingy....just dumb luck. Kurt knows what he is doing....just look at all the talent he has landed the last 3-4 years. In the words of John Winger to Sgt. Hulka...."NOW GET OFF MY BACK!!!"

Joe Namath once had a beer in my little home town with a local Hollywood actress back when he was playing. True story. Joe Namath is garbage though so I don't care. @random awesome facts for the people

Last edited:
He does somewhat have a point. I was very disappointed by the amount of short throws to the running back in the spring game. Obviously though, CJ threw the ball down field, his receivers just did not catch it. That is a change from last year.

Only saw the highlights but from them the RB dump off was successful, sometimes getting 9-15 yards a pop-not bad plays at all. And most likely it was due to the DBs respecting CJ's ability to throw it deep, something that wasn't the case with Jake.

Throwing short passes to runningbacks that have the ability to make someone miss will help a ton. I remember Bullock putting a move on a guy last year and picking up extra yards and thinking it was the first time (and only time) all year i saw a it from him.

QB bashing, regardless of who it is, is kinda pointless. The problems with the offense are much deeper and I assume everyone knows this. In my humble opinion, the offense has a chance to perform better with CJB, but that doesn't mean JR is a bad QB, heck or even a better QB. To me, it simply means that with this offense, the only flippin chance to be successful will come from some ad lib and CJB probably has more of this in him than JR. That being said, I fully expect this to be coached out of him by September (unfortunately).

GD is absolutley attrocious and is the worst thing to happen to the Iowa football program in my 44 years on this earth. I certainly hope we aren't going to spend the next year or two spewing hatred towards each other every time a CJB ball hits the ground or goes in the endzone. It's pointless. It's so unbelieveably and frustratingly pointless.

QB bashing, regardless of who it is, is kinda pointless. The problems with the offense are much deeper and I assume everyone knows this. In my humble opinion, the offense has a chance to perform better with CJB, but that doesn't mean JR is a bad QB, heck or even a better QB. To me, it simply means that with this offense, the only flippin chance to be successful will come from some ad lib and CJB probably has more of this in him than JR. That being said, I fully expect this to be coached out of him by September (unfortunately).

GD is absolutley attrocious and is the worst thing to happen to the Iowa football program in my 44 years on this earth. I certainly hope we aren't going to spend the next year or two spewing hatred towards each other every time a CJB ball hits the ground or goes in the endzone. It's pointless. It's so unbelieveably and frustratingly pointless.

I agree, but sadly, I think this is inevitable. This thread is case in point. It's started already. Just wait until real games start.

James Vandenburg threw 25 TD passes his junior year (pre GD) and 7 his senior year. Let that sink in. It's not the QB's. Let's not eat our young over CJB and JR.

James Vandenburg threw 25 TD passes his junior year (pre GD) and 7 his senior year. Let that sink in. It's not the QB's. Let's not eat our young over CJB and JR.

I think JVB's totals in '12 were part new offense (I think the offense was a merging of what kirk wanted and what GD wanted and wasn't/isn't GD's offense), part not having personnel for the new offense and part not being the type of qb for the new offense.

What I feel the offense needed last season was a higher proportion of passing plays to open up the running lanes. This is why CJ was needed last season. JR isn't a bad qb, he is a really good qb, but was not at all good at mid-deep to deep passes.

I think JVB's totals in '12 were part new offense (I think the offense was a merging of what kirk wanted and what GD wanted and wasn't/isn't GD's offense), part not having personnel for the new offense and part not being the type of qb for the new offense.

What I feel the offense needed last season was a higher proportion of passing plays to open up the running lanes. This is why CJ was needed last season. JR isn't a bad qb, he is a really good qb, but was not at all good at mid-deep to deep passes.

Arvada, I agree with you to a point and there will always be adjustments when a new OC comes in, but man, there was some serious writing on the wall and the most glaring (in my mind) was the drop in JVB's numbers. That just doesn't happen. He was something like 14th in the conference in TD passes with only 12 teams. The offense saw a 40% decrease in points scored from 2011 to 2012. JVB became a huge whipping boy and while he had his deficiencies, his drop in productivity was a lot more than normal new scheme and personnel hiccups.

I am amazed that GD is still the OC. I simply cannot believe how bad his offense is. It's a true testament to KF's loyalty/stubborness. Unfortunatey, I don't see anything but a bad ending and my only point is that any QB put out there has a huge hurdle to climb.

Most people I know thought that last last year JR and CJB were pretty close to equal. Jake had more experience and was probably more comfortable with this god forsaken offense. CJB has more talent. Period. He has a better arm, he is more athletic, and he can make throws JR can't or at the very least wouldn't make. So if they were both close to even last year, why not give the guy with more physical upside more of a chance to get game experience? Not to mention he is younger, so you have time to develop him into something great. It's not a knock on JR, and nobody is saying CJB is going to save the program. It's just common sense. Play the guy who has more talent if it's not going to cost you any wins and it gives you a chance to be better in the future. Oh, but that might hurt somebody's feelings.

Just created a post on this.

GD is the nail in the coffin for this program. Though had we gotten a better OC, i'm not sure it makes up for crap coaches that were brought in later. While they may be good at teaching fundamentals (minus special teams), they cannot recruit, and in game adjustments have been really lacking.

and it goes back to when we let go of KOK, and we lost Norm. Both of those coaches were very good at making adjustments, usually after halftime. Now when we come out after half, we look exactly the same.

Arvada, I agree with you to a point and there will always be adjustments when a new OC comes in, but man, there was some serious writing on the wall and the most glaring (in my mind) was the drop in JVB's numbers. That just doesn't happen. He was something like 14th in the conference in TD passes with only 12 teams. The offense saw a 40% decrease in points scored from 2011 to 2012. JVB became a huge whipping boy and while he had his deficiencies, his drop in productivity was a lot more than normal new scheme and personnel hiccups.

I am amazed that GD is still the OC. I simply cannot believe how bad his offense is. It's a true testament to KF's loyalty/stubborness. Unfortunatey, I don't see anything but a bad ending and my only point is that any QB put out there has a huge hurdle to climb.

Bo, I am too, and it isn't so much whether GD is a good OC or not, but that his philosophy didn't work with the personnel and type of talent in 2012. I really believe that kfootball forced GD to make some philosophical changes and not the other way around. I also think GD was always going to be a stop-gap until BF could slide over. But when the results were so poor and fan sentiment (and attendance) reversed, kfootball was caught betwixt and between. Now that it is obvious the fans wouldn't allow BF as OC, and that kfootball needs at least 9 wins with a 6 or 7 win team, what's the point in changing OC's?

Latest posts