Go Get Lovie Smith As An Assistant Right Now...

There are currently 5 NFL openings and he will be running someone's D if he chooses too. Highly respected in NFL circles not so much as a HC, but definitely as a DC

I would be down for it, maybe not HC, if we had an opening or if I thought anyone was underperformed on the staff - which I don't.

...and set him up for eventual HC.

And for you idiots who think it’s serious, I know that will never happen. It should, though.

I don't know if I would want him for head coach. He's a stand up guy though and I've always been a fan of his. I'd take Phil Parker as head coach. I'd take Matt Campbell as head coach. I'd take Chris Klieman as head coach. The last two have proven they can win at very difficult places in a short time.

I don't know if I would want him for head coach. He's a stand up guy though and I've always been a fan of his. I'd take Phil Parker as head coach. I'd take Matt Campbell as head coach. I'd take Chris Klieman as head coach. The last two have proven they can win at very difficult places in a short time.
Campbell and Klieman haven’t won anything in the Big Ten, the Big 8 is a JV conference and they’d be in for a damn big surprise playing varsity ball in the Upper Midwest.

Phil Parker already said he’d never take it.

Lovie has experience in the B1G, he’s had one of the highest pressure jobs in the NFL (no stranger to contentious fan bases), and his last two jobs were totally unwinnable situations. No one on earth could be blamed for losing at Illinois. Nick Saban would put up nothing but losing seasons there.

He’s got the type of character that fits at Iowa, and let’s be honest...nowadays a head coach in P5 football isn’t an X’s and O’s position. It’s a CEO, 30,000 feet-type job where their most important considerations are the people they bring on board and the overall direction of the company. Phil’s got the defense nailed down, Brian could be replaced, and I think Lovie has the most important thing, experience. Our fan base would love that dude, no pun intended.

Last edited:
If you think Kirk is cagey during interviews and gives nothing but coach speak well he's an open book compared to Lovie. Lovies pressers are nothing more than a game where the object is to say absolutely nothing about anything.

I do respect him as a coach, I thought the Bears made a mistake getting rid of him. I'd rather listen to nails run on a chalkboard than listen to him talk during a press conference.

If you think Kirk is cagey during interviews and gives nothing but coach speak well he's an open book compared to Lovie. Lovies pressers are nothing more than a game where the object is to say absolutely nothing about anything.

I do respect him as a coach, I thought the Bears made a mistake getting rid of him. I'd rather listen to nails run on a chalkboard than listen to him talk during a press conference.
I’d be ok with that. Especially as opposed to a talkative douche like Fleck.

Campbell and Klieman haven’t won anything in the Big Ten, the Big 8 is a JV conference and they’d be in for a damn big surprise playing varsity ball in the Upper Midwest.

Lovie has experience in the B1G, he’s had one of the highest pressure jobs in the NFL (no stranger to contentious fan bases), and his last two jobs were totally unwinnable situations. No one on earth could be blamed for losing at Illinois. Nick Saban would put up nothing but losing seasons there.

He’s got the type of character that fits at Iowa, and let’s be honest...nowadays a head coach in P5 football isn’t an X’s and O’s position. It’s a CEO, 30,000 feet-type job where their most important considerations are the people they bring on board and the overall direction of the company. Phil’s got the defense nailed down, Brian could be replaced, and I think Lovie has the most important thing, experience. Our fan base would love that dude, no pun intended.

Someone on here mentioned Lovie didnt like the rubber chicken circuit and all the schmozzing and glad handing. Doing the rubber chicken circuit is towards the top for the iowa HC.

...and set him up for eventual HC.

And for you idiots who think it’s serious, I know that will never happen. It should, though.
Lovie appears to be a GREAT guy with great character. That being said, KF has got a great staff and not looking. I think Lovie gets out of the meat-grinder and retires.

I think he's a helluva coach. The only problem I'd have with him as HC in waiting is that he's 62.

One article I read says Illinois wants Luke Fickell. Why not just flip a coin. Heads it's Saban, tails it's Urban. Everyone is itching to coach there. Get real.

No idea if there's interest anywhere if he'd be interested in leaving, but one that's going to get snatched up soon if he wants, is Lance Leipold from Buffalo. He's a winner. Don't want to see him in the Big Ten.

Still think you kick the tires with Klieman or Leonard first. You need someone that can put a staff together that can find those hidden gems. Don't out think the room here...Iowa has to be a developmental program. For the last 40 years Iowa has had those coaches....don't get it twisted because Lovie can grow a Jesus beard.

I am Lovie guy but I think he rides it out as a d-coordinator/assistant coach in the NFL. I like where your head is at, but it is not realistic.

Last edited:
Lovie is a loser....but he does have a super bowl appearance. Assistant coach ok go for him, head coach hard pass.

Lovie appears to be a GREAT guy with great character. That being said, KF has got a great staff and not looking. I think Lovie gets out of the meat-grinder and retires.
Lovie’s kid played for Lake Forest HS in the northern Chicago burbs at the same time my son was playing for another school in the same conference. Lovie came to a few of the area 7-7 no pad workouts in the summer. Talking to some of the LF parents, I never heard a bad comment from them about Lovie. Nice, decent guy, living in a nice community.

But he’s a middle of the road HC. I lived in the Chicago area for 35 years. That open-mouth, confused, what-the-f*ck look during games that were not going his way was maddening. Along with excessive loyalty to a certain QB from Florida. He wasn’t terrible; don’t get me wrong. He was 10-6 the year he got fired, though he didn’t make the playoffs (see Pellini, Bo for a similar situation that’s worked out about the same).

But based on his results at IL, he hasn’t gotten any better being the head man. And Phil ain’t going anywhere.

Still think you kick the tires with Klieman or Leonard first. You need someone that can put a staff together that can find those hidden gems. Don't out think the room here...Iowa has to be a developmental program. For the last 40 years Iowa has had those coaches....don't get it twisted because Lovie can grow a Jesus beard.

I am Lovie guy but I think he rides it out as a d-coordinator/assistant coach in the NFL. I like where your head is at, but it is not realistic.
I know very well Lovie wouldn’t come here and Iowa wouldn’t hire him.

But 1,000%, the Big 12 is NOT the place to get a coach. That style of play doesn’t work here, and you’re going to get your head kicked in if you try to do anything else. Hiring a guy whose QBs threw for 8,000 yards in their careers but never coached a down of smash mouth football on the ground is a recipe for disaster. Sure they look good and look flashy with 40 yd post routes every other play, but they’re completely fucked when they try and learn that lesson the hard way on the job. Scott Frost and Mike Riley should be the cautionary tale for every big ten AD as to what’s going to happen to their program if they do that.

If you don’t hire a coach that...

1) Puts defense first

2) Concentrates on running the ball over gimmicky air raid bs

3) Has a bunch of experience coaching against huge, lock down, physical defensive lines...

You will get absolutely destroyed in the Big Ten and you’ll run your program and recruiting into the ground permanently. I cannot fathom in my mind at all what would make anyone who even casually follows football think a Big 12 coach can fit in our league.

Klieman and Campbell (and any Big 8 coach) have none of those three things on their resumes whatsoever. I get it that Klieman is an FCS wonder boy, but he’s got zero experience with big boy football. Again, Nebraska has become an example screaming in our faces of what happens when you try to come in the B1G and do non-B1G things. Bad, bad, bad idea.

I can’t stand Brain Ferrets, but if it came down to him or some fake ass Big 12 coach who’s going to come in and try and run 5 wide outs and throw the ball 75% of the time from the wildcat, give me Brain.

Fair enough. I can grasp your points.

You talking about Lovie Smith or Paul Chryst? I may be confused.

Paul Chryst =

1607953651661.png

Lovie is almost certainly done as a college coach. 99% chance he's a DC in the NFL within two years. My guess is he won't miss the fund-raising and recruiting one iota.

I think Lovie is a solid X and O guy on the defensive side of the ball, but he ain't a HC and his weakness at the collegiate level is I don't think he is very good on fundamentals. He's used to NFL guys who already know how to tackle and how to clog their assigned gap and shit like that. He got 5 years at Illinois and the defense never got past about where Iowa's defense is in week 2 most seasons.

Latest posts