Giving vs Receivng Oral Game Thread

I’m watching now as I couldn’t last night, but I still don’t get the logic of JT only getting 6 minutes. He EARNED more than that being one of the only guys who played hard and played well against DePaul. Seems like Fran wants to let Connor accumulate stats against these inferior teams to prove he should be starting.

It’s hilarious how negative some of these guys are though for sure. Iowa controlled the game and if they make their free throws win by a wider margin. The highlights I did see though Iowa was still looked incredibly slow on defense and gave up way to many easy buckets.
Fran playing Connor more against inferior teams to pad his stats, think about that conspiracy theory for a second there tin hat. For all the smart shit you say on this site that’s a little left field. Any time Connor plays well I guess can probably be contributed to that theory now.

Last edited:
Fran playing Connor more against inferior teams to pad his stats, think about that conspiracy theory for a second there tin hat. For all the smart shit you say on this site that’s a little left field. Any time Connor plays well I guess can probably be contributed to that theory now.
Like I said I hadn’t watched the game yet. Toussaint got two fouls in the first half and we all know Fran will never play someone with two fouls in the first half.

Super funny though that Fran yanked Toussaint because of a bad shot. Out of all the guys that make errors and do dumb shit that’s what he makes his statement on.

Maybe my angle was a bit off. Anyway the point being do you think what Connor is doing is translatable into B1G play? Like I said last year in the non-conference he shot a ton of free throws as well. Majority of his assists the other night were post feeds to Garza, now don’t get me wrong Connor is good at feeding the post but it’s not exactly that impressive, Jbo did it a few times as well.

The bottom line is Fran wants Connor to be the PG of this team.

Like I said I hadn’t watched the game yet. Toussaint got two fouls in the first half and we all know Fran will never play someone with two fouls in the first half.

Super funny though that Fran yanked Toussaint because of a bad shot. Out of all the guys that make errors and do dumb shit that’s what he makes his statement on.

Maybe my angle was a bit off. Anyway the point being do you think what Connor is doing is translatable into B1G play? Like I said last year in the non-conference he shot a ton of free throws as well. Majority of his assists the other night were post feeds to Garza, now don’t get me wrong Connor is good at feeding the post but it’s not exactly that impressive, Jbo did it a few times as well.

The bottom line is Fran wants Connor to be the PG of this team.

Of course Fran wants his 3rd year in the program player to be the starting PG of the team. I don't know how it will transfer over. JT is a freshman, playing in his 3rd game of his career. Can we just let him develop a little? Or does he just have to play? No matter what. Just play him. Who cares about Fran wanting to teach him a few things... Coach can't use any real learning experience to coach him. Just ROLL him out there. GO.

That's silly...and he did have some foul trouble.

You're disdain for Connor McCaffery is trollish level.

Also, I want Joe T to play too. I would like to see him play more over CM....but I realize that he's played 3 games as a player so far. Let it happen folks. If he's the better option at PG, he's going to play so relax. Everyone is excited about him. I imagine so is the coaching staff. Can we let them coach him or nah? It doesn't surprise me one bit that players with more equity in the program get the lean over new guys. That's pretty much how it works in all walks of life....

Of course Fran wants his 3rd year in the program player to be the starting PG of the team. I don't know how it will transfer over. JT is a freshman, playing in his 3rd game of his career. Can we just let him develop a little? Or does he just have to play? No matter what. Just play him. Who cares about Fran wanting to teach him a few things... Coach can't use any real learning experience to coach him. Just ROLL him out there. GO.

That's silly...and he did have some foul trouble.

You're disdain for Connor McCaffery is trollish level.
I think you missed the mark. I have no problem with Fran yanking any player for making a bad play. Like I said Bo Ryan did that all the time especially early in the season regardless of the player. The FUNNY part about it is Fran never does that and on top of it he pulls Toussaint for a bad shot. A bad shot? An effing bad shot. Really. Out of all the bullshit we have seen with this team, horrible turnovers, lazy Ole’ defense time and time again he pulls him for a bad shot? It was a wide open mid range jump shot btw.

The second thing is though you yank them give them the lesson but then you get them back out there and let them improve on it. He never put him back out there.

Look It was one game and not nearly as big of a deal as I’ve already made it, and I think the second thing is they wanted to get Jbo some extended run. But yes I think in these non conference games we need to let Joe T go and see what he has. Let him play through some of these mistakes so he can learn from them. I’m not sitting here and saying he’s the second coming, or he’s for sure the answer for us, but I do think in these games against lessor opponents it would be a good time to figure it out.

My disdain for Connor as you call it is no different than my disdain for watching Pemsl and Kriener lug around at the 4 position. I just don’t feel it’s winning basketball. I don’t believe Connor McCaffery can be the starting point guard on a winning B1G basketball team. I simply don’t. I could absolutely be wrong in this take, I’ve been wrong before, but I just don’t see it. Also I believe even you in your slight turn to the dark side last week you even had a few posts where you were starting to regress on your opinion of Connor.

I think you missed the mark. I have no problem with Fran yanking any player for making a bad play. Like I said Bo Ryan did that all the time especially early in the season regardless of the player. The FUNNY part about it is Fran never does that and on top of it he pulls Toussaint for a bad shot. A bad shot? An effing bad shot. Really. Out of all the bullshit we have seen with this team, horrible turnovers, lazy Ole’ defense time and time again he pulls him for a bad shot? It was a wide open mid range jump shot btw.

The second thing is though you yank them give them the lesson but then you get them back out there and let them improve on it. He never put him back out there.

Look It was one game and not nearly as big of a deal as I’ve already made it, and I think the second thing is they wanted to get Jbo some extended run. But yes I think in these non conference games we need to let Joe T go and see what he has. Let him play through some of these mistakes so he can learn from them. I’m not sitting here and saying he’s the second coming, or he’s for sure the answer for us, but I do think in these games against lessor opponents it would be a good time to figure it out.

My disdain for Connor as you call it is no different than my disdain for watching Pemsl and Kriener lug around at the 4 position. I just don’t feel it’s winning basketball. I don’t believe Connor McCaffery can be the starting point guard on a winning B1G basketball team. I simply don’t. I could absolutely be wrong in this take, I’ve been wrong before, but I just don’t see it. Also I believe even you in your slight turn to the dark side last week you even had a few posts where you were starting to regress on your opinion of Connor.

I didn't miss any marks. Connor is going to be given the opportunity to run this team. He should be given it. He's going thru the process just like everyone else who plays and earns minutes. He's next in line. This is year 3 in the program. Doesn't he get a chance or nah? Doesn't mean he will ultimately be the guy, but at this point he is. You don't have to like it. You obviously don't, but your CM hate is trollish level. That's all. No one can have this much disdain for a kid who's a Hawkeye. He didn't play bad? He hasn't played bad. Why does he have to sit? Can't he play well and be given minutes or does he just need to sit? But now that's just dad padding the stats so he can justify playing him more. Tin hat.... how bout Connor is playing because he's worked in the program and has earned the minutes. If Joe T is going to play, he'll have to earn them too. I think he will. We just have to give it a minute.

Last edited:
and it's one game....but I kind of remember Connor got brought along slowly his first season too. He wasn't just thrust into PT. Thankfully we had someone in front of him that could usher his role into the team. It's kind of how climbs work for athletes. It's a natural scale and climb. Most of them just don't come in and start day 1 even if they are glaringly ready to be more from a "fans" prospective. There are exceptions too but there's a trust thing between coach and player. Especially at the position that sets up the offense. The coach wants them to learn how to do something a certain way they want to see it.

Everyone is screaming about why Iowa didn't start Goodson sooner in football. Why did it take so long to recognize it? I think a Freshman starting at the UofI in football by game 10 is pretty quick identification by the staff. They brought him along quicker then most. I applaud them for it. Not use it as an indictment for failure.

Fran has always played young guys. If Joe T is a difference maker - he is going to be given as much as he can handle and given the opportunity if he can help Iowa win basketball games. I really have no fear of that at all. Connor is low hanging fruit and a troll that people can use to discount the coach at this point. It's fair in my opinion because Fran made his bed, but I expect more from true Iowa fans.

Connor has limitations, I know it, you know it, we all know it. I think the staff knows it too and they are going to bring Joe along as quick as he can handle it. I hope he can.

I agree IGC. Connor had a good game, scoring, assist, and only 1 turnover. Jt will get his when he is ready. I would also say I would like him to get more time on the floor.

I didn't miss any marks. Connor is going to be given the opportunity to run this team. He should be given it. He's going thru the process just like everyone else who plays and earns minutes. He's next in line. This is year 3 in the program. Doesn't he get a chance or nah? Doesn't mean he will ultimately be the guy, but at this point he is. You don't have to like it. You obviously don't, but your CM hate is trollish level. That's all. No one can have this much disdain for a kid who's a Hawkeye. He didn't play bad? He hasn't played bad. Why does he have to sit? Can't he play well and be given minutes or does he just need to sit? But now that's just dad padding the stats so he can justify playing him more. Tin hat.... how bout Connor is playing because he's worked in the program and has earned the minutes. If Joe T is going to play, he'll have to earn them too. I think he will. We just have to give it a minute.
Jesus man. I’m doing my best to be non confrontational and you’re just jumping all over me. Whatever.

Honestly I’m not even trying to make this a Connor deal either. Connor played a solid game. Yes, I said based on the untrained eye before I had a chance to watch the game that it seemed like Fran was trying to pad Connor’s stats against inferior opponents. Again, probably a stupid comment which I admitted but you’re not going to let go so whatever. Before I watched I didn’t know Joe T had two fouls in the first half. Fran’s two foul rule is idiotic but that’s a story for another time.

Again I just find it funny that the one guy to get benched for a bad play is Joe T. Like I find that super effing funny. Fran doesn’t do that ever. Yes I feel in games like that one and these next two Joe T should get a lot more than 6 minutes, and it doesn’t have to be at the expense of Connor either.

I guess it’s just funny. We all saw on display the major issue this team has against DePaul. The announcers knew it, the fans knew it, and DePaul certainly knew it. Iowa is slow and unathletic. Heck you were well past halfway to throwing in the towel on the season and Fran as well.

So here is the situation. We have two players that can upgrade our athleticism and that’s Toussaint and Evelyn. They combined for 16 minutes Friday. We won the game but we were still a mess on the defensive end. Fran can bury his head in the sand and not see the problem all he wants, but I don’t think it’s going to make for a very fun season.

On Connor you can call me a troll all you want. I have nothing against the kid. I like that he doesn’t back down from anyone, I like that attitude. I like that he’s a quality passer and makes his free throws. I still think he has a role on this team and can be successful. The issue is this. He can’t defend point guards at this level, he simply can’t. His defensive position is defending opposing 3 men. So when he plays PG what ends up happening is we ask Fredrick to defend the PG, which isn’t the best option for Fredrick, we also will at times ask Wieskamp to guard more athletics guards so that Connor can guard the 3 spot. Now Jbo wasn’t much of a defender either, but he is such a high level offensive player it could make up for it. Connor does some nice things on offense but not nearly enough to overcome that defensive burden he’s putting on the others in my opinion.

I want Iowa to play smaller and more athletic. I think Connor can still carve out some minutes at the 3 spot.

If that makes me a tin hat wearing troll non iowa fan I guess I’ll have to wear it. Rock on brother.

Last edited:
Jesus man. I’m doing my best to be non confrontational and you’re just jumping all over me. Whatever.

Honestly I’m not even trying to make this a Connor deal either. Connor played a solid game. Yes, I said based on the untrained eye before I had a chance to watch the game that it seemed like Fran was trying to pad Connor’s stats against inferior opponents. Again, probably a stupid comment which I admitted but you’re not going to let go so whatever. Before I watched I didn’t know Joe T had two fouls in the first half. Fran’s two foul rule is idiotic but that’s a story for another time.

Again I just find it funny that the one guy to get benched for a bad play is Joe T. Like I find that super effing funny. Fran doesn’t do that ever. Yes I feel in games like that one and these next two Joe T should get a lot more than 6 minutes, and it doesn’t have to be at the expense of Connor either.

I guess it’s just funny. We all saw on display the major issue this team has against DePaul. The announcers knew it, the fans knew it, and DePaul certainly knew it. Iowa is slow and unathletic. Heck you were well past halfway to throwing in the towel on the season and Fran as well.

So here is the situation. We have two players that can upgrade our athleticism and that’s Toussaint and Evelyn. They combined for 16 minutes Friday. We won the game but we were still a mess on the defensive end. Fran can bury his head in the sand and not see the problem all he wants, but I don’t think it’s going to make for a very fun season.

On Connor you can call me a troll all you want. I have nothing against the kid. I like that he doesn’t back down from anyone, I like that attitude. I like that he’s a quality passer and makes his free throws. I still think he has a role on this team and can be successful. The issue is this. He can’t defend point guards at this level, he simply can’t. His defensive position is defending opposing 3 men. So when he plays PG what ends up happening is we ask Fredrick to defend the PG, which isn’t the best option for Fredrick, we also will at times ask Wieskamp to guard more athletics guards so that Connor can guard the 3 spot. Now Jbo wasn’t much of a defender either, but he is such a high level offensive player it could make up for it. Connor does some nice things on offense but not nearly enough to overcome that defensive burden he’s putting on the others in my opinion.

I want Iowa to play smaller and more athletic. I think Connor can still carve out some minutes at the 3 spot.

If that makes me a tin hat wearing troll non iowa fan I guess I’ll have to wear it. Rock on brother.

I honestly don't think I am coming at ya without reason or anything. I'd expect you'd call me on something I said if it were strange or outlandish.... you know how I have those expectations?... cause ya do call me on things, and it's all good. It was you that made the comment on Fran trying to pad his kids stats so I said, you're disdain for Connor is troll level. It is. That comment is. I know you actually watch the games so I probably hold you to a higher regard then that. I also know that you've watched a lot of basketball and sports in general..... it can't be a surprise to you at this point that a 3 year guy is playing over a 3 game guy. It's not surprising to me.

I wish Joe T had played more the other night. I think he was in line too - our 2nd wave of players came in and kind of let the game get a way from them. At that point, Fran just wanted to close them out and not get bit with a loss. These are the games you wanna see him play more then anything. Get him up to speed so he can be a more valuable asset when conference comes around.

I'm all for more Joe T and IMO, I would love that he took that spot right away from CM. I hope that he gets minutes over Connor in the near future. He's going to have to earn them tho and frankly, I doubt he has been there long enough to do that.

I honestly don't think I am coming at ya without reason or anything. I'd expect you'd call me on something I said if it were strange or outlandish.... you know how I have those expectations?... cause ya do call me on things, and it's all good. It was you that made the comment on Fran trying to pad his kids stats so I said, you're disdain for Connor is troll level. It is. That comment is. I know you actually watch the games so I probably hold you to a higher regard then that. I also know that you've watched a lot of basketball and sports in general..... it can't be a surprise to you at this point that a 3 year guy is playing over a 3 game guy. It's not surprising to me.

I wish Joe T had played more the other night. I think he was in line too - our 2nd wave of players came in and kind of let the game get a way from them. At that point, Fran just wanted to close them out and not get bit with a loss. These are the games you wanna see him play more then anything. Get him up to speed so he can be a more valuable asset when conference comes around.

I'm all for more Joe T and IMO, I would love that he took that spot right away from CM. I hope that he gets minutes over Connor in the near future. He's going to have to earn them tho and frankly, I doubt he has been there long enough to do that.
I’ve tried to back away and downplay that comment twice now and you won’t allow it, so whatever I said it. Keep on repeating it if it makes you feel better.

My post this morning was almost entirely about Joe T and Fran. I said things like I’ve already made this a bigger deal than it is it’s one game. I talked about how it appears they wanted to stretch Jbo out. Hardly anything about Connor. At the end I addressed your comment saying I have a troll disdain for Connor, basically saying it’s not personal, I feel the same about playing Kriener and Pemsl at the 4.

What do I get in response from you? “Connor Connor Connor. You hate Connor. Connor has earned his spot. You said three posts ago on Saturday morning that Fran is padding Connor’s stats in the non conference. Tin hat” It seems to me you’re the one who keeps wanting to have the Connor discussion, where I’m the troll.

I’ve talked enough about it. Kind of just over it. We will see how the season unfolds.

I’ve tried to back away and downplay that comment twice now and you won’t allow it, so whatever I said it. Keep on repeating it if it makes you feel better.

My post this morning was almost entirely about Joe T and Fran. I said things like I’ve already made this a bigger deal than it is it’s one game. I talked about how it appears they wanted to stretch Jbo out. Hardly anything about Connor. At the end I addressed your comment saying I have a troll disdain for Connor, basically saying it’s not personal, I feel the same about playing Kriener and Pemsl at the 4.

What do I get in response from you? “Connor Connor Connor. You hate Connor. Connor has earned his spot. You said three posts ago on Saturday morning that Fran is padding Connor’s stats in the non conference. Tin hat” It seems to me you’re the one who keeps wanting to have the Connor discussion, where I’m the troll.

I’ve talked enough about it. Kind of just over it. We will see how the season unfolds.

So it's actually me to blame ....???

perfect.

I am over it too. Let's move on.