Giving vs Receivng Oral Game Thread

High points Nunge double double and Garza's 30. Everything else ... meh

Yah I saw those two scored the most points. Toussaint hardly scored but how did he move the ball around?

Last edited:
What I witnessed tonight was not easy to watch. Iowa did win, but ORU just kept hanging around waiting for one of those Iowa end of games collapses. I really can't say the play was an improvement over the DePaul game. Free throw shooting was abysmal. When you have to put your starters back in and they struggle it's not a positive. Some of the decisions were just dumb. Iowa needed to take time off the clock and Garza jacks up a three with at least 20 second on the shot clock.

The defense was suspect again. On a neutral floor Iowa would have to play better than they did to beat ORU. It's obvious that the quickness needed to keep the opponent out of the lane isn't there with Bohannen and McCaffery.

I hope I'm wrong but Joe W looks like he hit the Sophomore jinx. Shots not falling, free throws or otherwise. Unless he gets back on track it will not be good.

The team just seems out of whack as soon as the substituting starts. Fran needs to narrow the substituting down to about 8 players for a while and develop a rotation. As the season progresses he can bring in more of the bench.

Was Joe T really out of oontrol or is Fran trying to paint that picture so Conner continues to start ? Conner had no outside shot last year either and played. Did Joe T get any time with the first unit?

When you are blowing out Oral, is a 13 point win good enough at home? ;) I'm actually surprised they won as many were saying this was not a gimme. Sure would be nice to have games accessible to the viewing public instead of having to subscribe to all of these services to watch the games.

I miss the Raycom Days where you could see all of the games with Mac and Larry Morgan.

Iowa starters played really well, the 2nd unit kind of let OR back in the game, had to bring the starters back in the close it out and they had been sitting for 7 minutes. Look JT is going to get his chance to prove he’s capable of more PT with the 2nd team. At least in these early season games Iowa thinks they can win easily. That’s called developing and bringing a guy along. He’s got a lot work, mostly just playing under control. That would be the case with whoever else was on the court. He’s shown plenty of hope for me. I’m not shocked he’s not starting and winning starting spots in game 3. Seems reasonable to bring him along slowly.

Garza had a game
Nunge finally looked good
Jordan looked good and looks to be getting better and quicker
Iowa covered - I think most expected Iowa to struggle in this game, while the 2nd team didn’t close them out, they certainly didn’t struggle in any form. They dominated a lesser opponent like you’d hope

Iowa starters played really well, the 2nd unit kind of let OR back in the game, had to bring the starters back in the close it out and they had been sitting for 7 minutes. Look JT is going to get his chance to prove he’s capable of more PT with the 2nd team. At least in these early season games Iowa thinks they can win easily. That’s called developing and bringing a guy along. He’s got a lot work, mostly just playing under control. That would be the case with whoever else was on the court. He’s shown plenty of hope for me. I’m not shocked he’s not starting and winning starting spots in game 3. Seems reasonable to bring him along slowly.

Garza had a game
Iowa covered - I think most expected Iowa to struggle in this game, while the 2nd team didn’t close them out, they certainly didn’t struggle in any form. They dominated a lesser opponent like you’d hope

I agree. Iowa was up close to 20 for most of the 2nd half. Fran let the backups try to close it out and they had a bad stretch. Anyone who watched the last two games knows DePaul really beat us worse than 15 and we really beat Oral worse than 13.

Garza had a game
I’m watching now as I couldn’t last night, but I still don’t get the logic of JT only getting 6 minutes. He EARNED more than that being one of the only guys who played hard and played well against DePaul. Seems like Fran wants to let Connor accumulate stats against these inferior teams to prove he should be starting.

It’s hilarious how negative some of these guys are though for sure. Iowa controlled the game and if they make their free throws win by a wider margin. The highlights I did see though Iowa was still looked incredibly slow on defense and gave up way to many easy buckets.

The biggest issue I have seen from Iowa basketball over the last several years is they have some good "basketball players" but they lack "athletes that can play basketball". The lack of athleticism really hurts on creating their own shots and playing and recovering on defense.

While I like Garza and some of the big guy's games they are just sooo slow getting up the floor and their footwork is like watching them play in sand, absolutely no explosiveness. I can't remember how many times I watched the first game with guys deep in the paint under the rim trying to lay it up because they are not explosive and quick enough to finish with a purpose. I do like the direction Garza is moving to, he is getting physically stronger and plays smart Nunge I haven't seen a lot.

I haven't followed Iowa basketball very closely this year and am not super familiar with the roster but the only guy that even remotely jumps off the court for athleticism is Touissant and we will see how much Fran is willing to play him. I am NOT Impressed with either McCaffery. Nice role players off the bench but I don't really see them as starters at this point

I’m watching now as I couldn’t last night, but I still don’t get the logic of JT only getting 6 minutes. He EARNED more than that being one of the only guys who played hard and played well against DePaul. Seems like Fran wants to let Connor accumulate stats against these inferior teams to prove he should be starting.

It’s hilarious how negative some of these guys are though for sure. Iowa controlled the game and if they make their free throws win by a wider margin. The highlights I did see though Iowa was still looked incredibly slow on defense and gave up way to many easy buckets.
There are "constants" in Iowa athletics that give us a sense of stability in the world of chaos in which we live:

At Iowa, coaches and others in power provide choice playing opportunities for their children and extended family. Many also become quite wealthy as they are 'taken care of".

Fran's BB team will play little defense. Talk of a "new focus" on shutting down the other team will erode into reaching, running, shooting as the season progresses. As the season fritters away, a "defensive guru" will be invited in to coach the coaches.

Kirk will play an immobile QB every down during the season, barring injury.

Kirk will refuse to develop any depth at the QB position, and other positions by refusing playing time to future talent.

There will be little coaching pressure to "get to the next level." Mathusala Contracts will be the norm.

Assistants will rarely be snatched away by other programs, these assistants will remain where the grass is green, and rightly so, why blame them?

Am I crazy to want Trussant to get playing time with the first unit against teams like Oral so he gets ready for better competition. He is the x-factor like Moss was last year Why in the world recruit a guy like him and not play him. Pay now and let him make his mistakes and learn on the job. I know what the other guys can or can't do already.