Give Paterno family credit they are persistent

The Paterno family continue to fight the "good" fight -- now petitioning the NCAA Infractions Appeal Committee to hold open hearings on Penn States sanctions even thought the university has accepted the penalties.

Joe Paterno family sends letter demanding appeal of NCAA sanctions - ESPN

This is just a precursor to the Paternos suing the NCAA to get JoePa his wins back.

See also http://www.hawkeyenation.com/forum/big-10-sports/47998-alternate-take-freeh-report.html

The Freeh Report is flawed, but even if you believe JoePa's culpability was oversold, they have no chance of getting those wins back or reopening hearings. Courts give private organizations great leeway on internal punishments.

The Paterno family continue to fight the "good" fight -- now petitioning the NCAA Infractions Appeal Committee to hold open hearings on Penn States sanctions even thought the university has accepted the penalties.

Joe Paterno family sends letter demanding appeal of NCAA sanctions - ESPN

This is just a precursor to the Paternos suing the NCAA to get JoePa his wins back.

Maybe instead of sending a letter of demands to the NCAA they should instead send a letter of apology to all the victims and their families.

Just sayin'.

I think the Infractions Appeal Committee should agree to hold an open hearing. Then say they disagree with the NCAA president and give PSU a three year death penalty instead of the current sanctions.

Maybe, just maybe the PSU boosters would turn on the Paternos. That would be amusing, but would never happen.

I honestly think the culture isn't going to change with how so many PSU fans are acting as if they are victims. Death penalty would have worked better to get the point across.

See also http://www.hawkeyenation.com/forum/big-10-sports/47998-alternate-take-freeh-report.html

The Freeh Report is flawed, but even if you believe JoePa's culpability was oversold, they have no chance of getting those wins back or reopening hearings. Courts give private organizations great leeway on internal punishments.
This just a pr stunt. Those wins were never Paterno's, they belonged to PSU. Neither Joe or his family have been damaged. This will get tossed.

I honestly think the culture isn't going to change with how so many PSU fans are acting as if they are victims. Death penalty would have worked better to get the point across.

I'm beginning to think the same thing. Between the Paterno's acting as if they're the victims, the current coach saying that they are going to "punch back" (really? against whom?), the current players going off on those that are leaving, etc, I think it's painfully obvious that the sanctions did nothing more than cause them to dig their heels in further. Should have given them a nice dose of humble pie via a multi-year death penalty.

^ make that three of us thinking this way ^

way too much righteous indignation coming out of crappy valley
Real victims? Totally swept under the carpet and soon to be forgotten.

If they think the family of the dead, former football coach should be part of discussions with the NCAA, they have truly missed the point.

They are the family of the fired coach, as well as the family of one of the fired assistants. Move along. This isn't a monarchy or dictatorship any longer. They are nothing more than kin to former state employees. They should be so lucky, at this point, to be remembered as such.

Also, yes, tired of the punching back comments from players and staff. It'd be more helpful, if not annoying, to simply say they were playing in honor of the victims or dedicating the season to the victims and say they'd have no further comment this year unless it related directly to play on the field.

Maybe instead of sending a letter of demands to the NCAA they should instead send a letter of apology to all the victims and their families.

Just sayin'.

I agree and take another step and whatever money they are paying lawyers to push all this and donate it to the actual victims of Sandusky. Joe Paw and PSU are not victims in any way shape or form. Those kids are period.

The NCAA should indulge the Paterno family's request and then give them a massive dressing down in a public forum maybe then will STFU.

Joe wasn't involved, now his family says he was.
The school paid for the Freeh investigation.
The school accepted the Penalties.
Paterno was fired before he died and the season ended.
Yet these people feel they have the authority to appeal anything?

Why am I supposed to be giving them credit again? It's called being dense, not persistence.

This. Death penalty plus the sanctions already handed out. Otherwise what is really going to change there? Not a god-blessed thing.

What comes next from the Paterno's...a plea to Penn State to withdrawal from the NCAA and the Big Ten and create their own league? This is just a plea to create the sense of injustice within the fan base. "The overzealous NCAA won't even allow the Paterno family a hearing, they are hiding something, and they have wronged poor Joe".

All I can say is, the image of Jopa and his family continues to be tarnished long after the sanctions came out. This is pathetic.

Latest posts