Gettin' fired up!

While some have focused on what we lost and how the year ended, and that is somewhat fair, there is still a lot to get excited about in what is returning.

We have one forward who seems to currently be a consensus NBA first round pick. That's nuts. Oh, and he has a twin brother whom everyone says can be great too once given floor time. I think Patrick Mc. is going to have a break out year and prove that he is one of the better 3s in the league. We also return the greatest 3-point shooter in school history for his 14th year on campus. We have good depth and raw talent at the PG position. The 5 position is untested, but on paper we have options there.

This team is a tournament team on paper right now. Whether they develop into something special or fail to meet their potential remains to be seen. It is certainly much more of a crapshoot than last year.

Me too I'm ready. We may not have top 5 or top 10 team expectations this year but that's alright. I'm not any less excited. Lots of younger guys with potential that'll be fun to see how they develop. JBo is going to obliterate some records some of which he already has. He'll end up being the BIGs all time leader in 3pters made. So it'll be fun seeing how he does. JT running the show the Murray and McCaffery brothers along with the new big guys. I don't see any scrubs on this roster that make me think we can't compete. So let's go aleady!

Me too I'm ready. We may not have top 5 or top 10 team expectations this year but that's alright. I'm not any less excited. Lots of younger guys with potential that'll be fun to see how they develop. JBo is going to obliterate some records some of which he already has. He'll end up being the BIGs all time leader in 3pters made. So it'll be fun seeing how he does. JT running the show the Murray and McCaffery brothers along with the new big guys. I don't see any scrubs on this roster that make me think we can't compete. So let's go aleady!

We could be one of the only teams in NCAA history with 2 sets of twins on the team, on the floor, at the same time

We could be one of the only teams in NCAA history with 2 sets of twins on the team, on the floor, at the same time
Well the McCaffery bros aren't twins but never the less having two sets of brothers on a roster and playing at the same time can't be something that's been done either. That'd sure make for an interesting lineup. Do they put one of the bigs in to play with them 4 or a PG?

Well the McCaffery bros aren't twins but never the less having two sets of brothers on a roster and playing at the same time can't be something that's been done either. That'd sure make for an interesting lineup. Do they put one of the bigs in to play with them 4 or a PG?

Seinfeld Kramer GIF - Seinfeld Kramer Bail - Discover & Share GIFs |  Seinfeld, My ex girlfriend, Funny gif

That line-up could happen. The 5th guy would need to be a guard. I suspect if you throw in JBO you have a group that never has happened nor ever will.

Two sets of brothers and a player who played in 6 consecutive seasons all on the floor at one time. Also, two of the brothers are the head coach's sons and the other two brother's Dad was an all-conference player for that same team. Try to recreate that ensemble!!!!

That line-up could happen. The 5th guy would need to be a guard. I suspect if you throw in JBO you have a group that never has happened nor ever will.

Two sets of brothers and a player who played in 6 consecutive seasons all on the floor at one time. Also, two of the brothers are the head coach's sons and the other two brother's Dad was an all-conference player for that same team. Try to recreate that ensemble!!!!
Whens Kingsbury kid come is it this yr or the next? It's just crazy to see some of these former players now having kids playing for Iowa. JR Koch has a kid we are recruiting along with Jeff Moe has a kid that's pretty darn good. Major blast from the past kind of stuff

Connor is an excellent passer and would work quite nicely at the point

The Twins, Partick and Riley Mulvey on the floor would be one of the quickest
teams in the country

JBo at the point with Patrick and the Twins and Riley would make an interesting
combination

There are a lot of interesting lineups available on the team

This is going to be a fun ride

Conner and JBo on the court together for long stretches would mean bad things for Iowa and completely negate that speed people are excited about. Mixing those guys in as needed and playing the athletic players with a mix of pressure defense (again, neither of those guys are adept at this) is what I would be excited to see. If we walk the ball up the court with JBo or Conner at the point and settle for chucking up threes at the end of the shot clock I will be very sad.

Conner and JBo on the court together for long stretches would mean bad things for Iowa and completely negate that speed people are excited about. Mixing those guys in as needed and playing the athletic players with a mix of pressure defense (again, neither of those guys are adept at this) is what I would be excited to see. If we walk the ball up the court with JBo or Conner at the point and settle for chucking up threes at the end of the shot clock I will be very sad.
Yeah and I don't think we'll see that. Not without either JT or Ulis also being on the court with a small lineup. I mean we'll see CM and JBo on the floor together a lot don't get me wrong because they'll have to overlap some. But again they won't be the primary back court by any means because of what you just said.

I honest to god don't know where I would play Conner this year. He has proven he has a place on the floor. But, I would not start him. I would not play him at the point. I could see him as that veteran 6th man that comes in to play the 2 or the 3. Subbing him for either Patrick or JBO does not materially alter the athleticism on the floor. It trades offense for defense/passing.

Love Iowa basketball and optimism on the Board, BUT I am having a bit more trouble getting fired for the season. Guards win championships (used to be Big men) and I think we have average at best. I would say we are anywhere from 6 to 11 in Big Ten next year and probably closer to 11 than 6 when all said and done. Making the tournament which is what is all about will be difficult

Last year we had the player of the year and a second round draft choice and got bounced easily in the second round by a decent but not great team that got bounced themselves in the next game! I find it difficult to believe Fran will be able to get this next team to exceed that disappointing finish

I understand your concern, Longtimer. But, as I said above, if you only focus on what we lost and how last year ended, its pretty easy to be pessimistic.

I like what we have returning from a talent perspective. Its raw and untested, but there is more than enough basketball talent coming back to compete at a high level. And, I think we all agree that the team we put on the floor will be more athletic and better defensively than any squad that took the floor last season.

But, it could definitely go either way. It will be a fun season.

While some have focused on what we lost and how the year ended, and that is somewhat fair, there is still a lot to get excited about in what is returning.

We have one forward who seems to currently be a consensus NBA first round pick. That's nuts. Oh, and he has a twin brother whom everyone says can be great too once given floor time. I think Patrick Mc. is going to have a break out year and prove that he is one of the better 3s in the league. We also return the greatest 3-point shooter in school history for his 14th year on campus. We have good depth and raw talent at the PG position. The 5 position is untested, but on paper we have options there.

This team is a tournament team on paper right now. Whether they develop into something special or fail to meet their potential remains to be seen. It is certainly much more of a crapshoot than last year.
It's all going to come down to winning close games in league play. It's what has always separated the men from the boys, at least in the 40+ years I've watched college basketball.

Latest posts