Get the Lowdown on a Big Recruiting Weekend for Hawkeyes

Mr. Howe, have you heard anything about Spencer Brown? I can't be the only one who thinks he would be a great developmental project like Croston and so many walk-ons or converted TE's etc. before them that have become outstanding tackles.
I mean let's be honest. Most of Iowa's best OT's weren't even linemen in H.S. Even Sherff wasn't a lineman until Iowa request him to be his senior year. So while it's important to try to recruit experienced H.S. linemen, I don't want them to get away from identifying and developing 'bodies' that fit their template.

Checked in with Spencer Brown because you made me curious. He committed to UNI this week and said he hasn't heard from Iowa in quite some time. Sounds like he's headed to Cedar Falls unless we come with an offer.

Checked in with Spencer Brown because you made me curious. He committed to UNI this week and said he hasn't heard from Iowa in quite some time. Sounds like he's headed to Cedar Falls unless we come with an offer.

thanks Mr. Howe. I think that's unfortunate, but there's no question that they know more than I do and I'm sure they have a plan for OT's for this class and next. It looks like there are quite a few good OT prospects in Iowa alone next year so that may have something to do with it. Let's hope this weekend goes well, because if they miss on everyone, ol' Spencer may just get a call yet....

As much as it would be nice to get one or both tackles, I think we saw in the Rosebowl that elite speed is what we lack. KF can manufacture a tackle if he needs to. I think Clayberg could be a part of making up some ground in the speed department. He can accelerate with the best of them, and has some nice moves. I know he is projected as a safety, but it would be wise to find a way to get him some touches. The kid will make some plays, and when he knows he's gonna be tackled, he will lower his shoulder and pop somebody...very physical, very strong. I'm shocked he hasn't had more offers.

Don't read too much into these crystal ball predictions from 247. They're nice to follow and make it seem like they have inside info. Sometimes they do. Most times they don't. They're speculating, at best.

I agree with you to not put too much stock into the crystal balls. But I wouldn't agree that they're wrong "most times" especially this late in the process. I use the 247sports recruiting service more than any other one and I'm shocked when the school with the leading % isn't picked by the recruit.

I agree with you to not put too much stock into the crystal balls. But I wouldn't agree that they're wrong "most times" especially this late in the process. I use the 247sports recruiting service more than any other one and I'm shocked when the school with the leading % isn't picked by the recruit.

Has Jackson already visited kNU? I think we also need to keep in mind that Jackson is tight with Lattimore. I've heard very tight. Jackson is here this weekend with both Lattimore and Golston. All three traveled together. I am not sure I see both Farniok and Jackson going to the same school unless one of them is willing to go there and know they won't be competing for the left tackle. They probably both RS regardless of which school they go to. Just trying to use some logic on this one.

I think the 247 crystal ball stuff is gimmicky. I mean they all switch their pick like a day before the kid announces after it has kind of slipped out there who they are going to pick. Any selection now for Alric is just based on a guess or a hunch, and no inside knowledge.

I think the 247 crystal ball stuff is gimmicky. I mean they all switch their pick like a day before the kid announces after it has kind of slipped out there who they are going to pick. Any selection now for Alric is just based on a guess or a hunch, and no inside knowledge.

This was point earlier. I'm not sure the percentage accuracy for the 247 crystal ball but it does seem like they switch their predictions on a semi-regular basis and, as dean said, like to change a few days before recruit announces. Admittedly, I don't follow as closely as others.

Has Jackson already visited kNU? I think we also need to keep in mind that Jackson is tight with Lattimore. I've heard very tight. Jackson is here this weekend with both Lattimore and Golston. All three traveled together. I am not sure I see both Farniok and Jackson going to the same school unless one of them is willing to go there and know they won't be competing for the left tackle. They probably both RS regardless of which school they go to. Just trying to use some logic on this one.

He's visiting NEB next weekend.....so they have the final visit

This was point earlier. I'm not sure the percentage accuracy for the 247 crystal ball but it does seem like they switch their predictions on a semi-regular basis and, as dean said, like to change a few days before recruit announces. Admittedly, I don't follow as closely as others.

Certainly happens a lot. But that's also kind of proving my point.....the predictions THIS LATE in the recruiting process (10 days before NSD) are going to be the ones that you should look at the most. These are probably the final predictions as signing date comes closer.

I don't know why I'm a VIP member on 247 though. Iowa has one writer. ONE. You maybe get an article every 2 days. Nebraska has 3. Wisconsin has 2. There are new articles on nebraska's site almost hourly. Badgers get posts regularly too. Would like it if I could get more Hawks recruiting news from actual recruiting services.....not that I don't like coming on HawkeyeNation....:p

Also, some of these recruiting analysts that make these picks have some crazy inside access to stuff no one else hears about, talks to the recruits regularly.

I totally get why people don't trust the crystal ball. Even I don't completely put all faith in it. Just pointing out that its a nice reference, and also telling. Especially when a team gets 6+ predictions in a row this late in the game.

That's the reason I'm concerned about Alaric Jackson and Farniok. Jackson's final visit is at Nebraska.

Last edited:
Certainly happens a lot. But that's also kind of proving my point.....the predictions THIS LATE in the recruiting process (10 days before NSD) are going to be the ones that you should look at the most. These are probably the final predictions as signing date comes closer.

I don't know why I'm a VIP member on 247 though. Iowa has one writer. ONE. You maybe get an article every 2 days. Nebraska has 3. Wisconsin has 2. There are new articles on nebraska's site every 3 hours. Badgers get posts regularly too. Would like it if I could get more Hawks recruiting news from actual recruiting services.....not that I don't like coming on HawkeyeNation....:p

Also, some of these recruiting analysts that make these picks have some crazy inside access to stuff no one else hears about, talks to the recruits regularly.

I totally get why people don't trust the crystal ball. Even I don't completely put all faith in it. Just pointing out that its a nice reference, and also telling. Especially when a team gets 6+ predictions in a row this late in the game.

That's the reason I'm concerned about Alaric Jackson and Farniok. Jackson's final visit is at Nebraska.

You do realize that this is what Rob does, and has done for what over a decade now Rob? He calls and talks to these kids, he follows them, so he completely understands this. I'm not sure why you think these guys at 247 are getting anything more or less from the kids than anyone else is from Rivals, Scout, or even from more independent guys like Rob.

They are giving their gut feels on things, and like I said most of the time they will change their picks on kids once it becomes clearly obvious on who they are selection. You example for instance that some Michigan 247 guy knows where Alric is going when Michigan isn't even recruiting him, how is this??

I'm not trying to start anything, just don't really agree with you on this. I think 247 is gimmicky with the Crystal ball deal, it is like Lunardi saying he is 99% accurate. Well yeah, there are about 8 teams for 6 spots each year, and that is really all they are trying to figure out.

Thanks for giving me the Lowdown Rob, I get the Down-Low on recruiting from the other sites buts its always nice to get it down low after getting it up high from the other guys.

Thanks for giving me the Lowdown Rob, I get the Down-Low on recruiting from the other sites buts its always nice to get it down low after getting it up high from the other guys.

The "lowdown" is code for "it's free" unlike other recruiting content sites. The plan is to keep it that way. :)

You do realize that this is what Rob does, and has done for what over a decade now Rob? He calls and talks to these kids, he follows them, so he completely understands this. I'm not sure why you think these guys at 247 are getting anything more or less from the kids than anyone else is from Rivals, Scout, or even from more independent guys like Rob.

They are giving their gut feels on things, and like I said most of the time they will change their picks on kids once it becomes clearly obvious on who they are selection. You example for instance that some Michigan 247 guy knows where Alric is going when Michigan isn't even recruiting him, how is this??

I'm not trying to start anything, just don't really agree with you on this. I think 247 is gimmicky with the Crystal ball deal, it is like Lunardi saying he is 99% accurate. Well yeah, there are about 8 teams for 6 spots each year, and that is really all they are trying to figure out.

I never said Rob doesn't know this stuff. I said that I disagreed with him on the fact that he thinks that 247 predictions are wrong "most of the time" when if you look at the actual statistics of the people that make predictions....they are very accurate. Then he admitted that he doesn't follow recruiting services closely....My point was by absolutely no mean to disrespect Rob or start anything with anyone on here. Rob does an awesome job and is a major reason why I come on here too. I was just making a claim that it's currently not looking all that great that a lot of people think these two Tackle recruits are going elsewhere. The recruiting service that I USE is 247 sports. I THINK the crystal ball is a useful tool and is right more often than not. Doesn't mean I don't think we have a chance with Farniok/Jackson.

I just put a certain amount of trust in recruiting services that actually study recruiting and recruiting analytics for a living. Correct me if I'm wrong, but Rob isn't strictly a recruiting analyst that talks to recruits and high school coaches and players every day.....correct? I have all the respect in the world for Rob Howe but I look at NATIONAL recruiting analysts from 247sports, Rivals, ESPN, and Scout first.

Best Hawkeye recruiting site, by a mile. You must be pinching the competitors. HUGE premium discounts.

No offense taken by me. I just appreciate the passion and discussion on recruiting. We're all here because we pull for the Hawks.

OmaHawk, do you know if the analytics for the crystal ball is based on their final predictions. If so, I do think that's a bit misleading. But I give them credit if their hitting a high percentage anyway because it's hard to figure out what's on the minds of teenagers.

Fwiw, my crystal ball is telling me I think we get Jackson. It's a little cloudy as I look for Farniok. I'm hoping it clears up soon. :)

As much as it would be nice to get one or both tackles, I think we saw in the Rosebowl that elite speed is what we lack. KF can manufacture a tackle if he needs to. I think Clayberg could be a part of making up some ground in the speed department. He can accelerate with the best of them, and has some nice moves. I know he is projected as a safety, but it would be wise to find a way to get him some touches. The kid will make some plays, and when he knows he's gonna be tackled, he will lower his shoulder and pop somebody...very physical, very strong. I'm shocked he hasn't had more offers.

were they faster than us? sure - i'd bet they were.

but from my seats in the rose bowl - it appeared to me that we also got beat on both sides of the ball - OL and DL. and no matter what, everything starts and ends on the line of scrimmage. stanford kicked the crap out of us in that department.

No offense taken by me. I just appreciate the passion and discussion on recruiting. We're all here because we pull for the Hawks.

OmaHawk, do you know if the analytics for the crystal ball is based on their final predictions. If so, I do think that's a bit misleading. But I give them credit if their hitting a high percentage anyway because it's hard to figure out what's on the minds of teenagers.

Fwiw, my crystal ball is telling me I think we get Jackson. It's a little cloudy as I look for Farniok. I'm hoping it clears up soon. :)

From my understanding there is a scoring system that ranks the recruiting analysts based on their predictions and if they're right or wrong. You get extra points for picking early and correctly. So, if you picked Alaric Jackson to go to Iowa 9 months ago, and that ends up happening, you'll get a significant boost in your "score". But yes, I believe the percentages are based on the final predictions, but 247 does do a good job of monitoring that and you basically get nothing added to your "score" if you switch your pick a day before the recruit's announcement. It's all very confusing, but exciting at the same time.

Hope you're right on Jackson. I personally think Farniok is gone and its been that way for awhile. He doesn't say much in interviews but you just get the impression he's Nebraska bound. If we could get Jackson to cancel his Nebraska visit next weekend that would be huge.

This was already discussed between Mr. Howe and myself on the first page of this thread. You should try to read more.

were they faster than us? sure - i'd bet they were.

but from my seats in the rose bowl - it appeared to me that we also got beat on both sides of the ball - OL and DL. and no matter what, everything starts and ends on the line of scrimmage. stanford kicked the crap out of us in that department.

I don't disagree that we got beat up front, but I also don't believe it was talent related, or measurable related (which is really what we are talking about with recruting). See 3-4 D problems with some games and a gimpy QB thrown in.

You can't teach speed and elusiveness, or straight toughness.

Latest posts