Get the Lowdown on a Big Recruiting Weekend for Hawkeyes

Awesome work Rob! It's great to have you on here! What would you say our odds of getting either Alaric or Farnoik are?

Awesome work Rob! It's great to have you on here! What would you say our odds of getting either Alaric or Farnoik are?

I'm not Rob but if I had to give my prediction.....

1 chooses Iowa, 1 chooses Nebraska. If I had to say right now.....

Farniok to Nebraska
Alaric to Iowa

The only thing that worries me is Nebraska can take both

Agreed. From what I'm hearing they're trying to get multiple Tackles so they could take both if they really wanted to.

Crystal Balls on 247sports are a little concerning.....

Alaric Jackson - NEB with 4 most recent predictions (36%) / Iowa with no predictions / MSU still leading crystal ball but he seems like their backup option
http://247sports.com/Player/Alaric-Jackson-79463

Matt Farniok - NEB with 7 of 9 predictions (78%) / Iowa with 1 prediction (11%) from a guy with only a 55% success rate, 1 prediction "cloudy"
http://247sports.com/Player/Matt-Farniok-36817

Nebraska may have more of a need for 2 OL vs. Iowa at this stage but that doesn't mean Iowa wouldn't (or couldn't) take them both should that opportunity arise.

Lattimore will have to really sell him (Jackson) on the way here, and the coaches (salesmen) better close the deal before he gets off the lot. I predict they will, and he will cancel his visit to ISU. X (fingers crossed)

P.S. I'm also hopeful they will get Spencer Brown to walkon as a OT. He is the prototype developmental OT for Iowa (6'8, 240 with good speed/feet-plus he wants to be a Hawk and will play wherever they want him to). Since Myers and Boetg are only going to be jrs. and they brought in some good OT prospects last year, they have the time to beef him up and train him. If he does walk on, I predict him to be a starter by his jr. year.

The Lattimore connection to Jackson is significant, IMO. That's why I'd put the chances of landing him ahead of Farniok. I think those two being together all weekend here plays greatly in our favor.

Farniok hasn't shown his hand at all in interviews and his family has pretty much shut down interviews outside of the Army game. The speculation is that it's Nebraska but I've not heard him say that and I believed his coach when he told me he thinks the kid is undecided.

The Lattimore connection to Jackson is significant, IMO. That's why I'd put the chances of landing him ahead of Farniok. I think those two being together all weekend here plays greatly in our favor.

Farniok hasn't shown his hand at all in interviews and his family has pretty much shut down interviews outside of the Army game. The speculation is that it's Nebraska but I've not heard him say that and I believed his coach when he told me he thinks the kid is undecided.

Mr. Howe, have you heard anything about Spencer Brown? I can't be the only one who thinks he would be a great developmental project like Croston and so many walk-ons or converted TE's etc. before them that have become outstanding tackles.
I mean let's be honest. Most of Iowa's best OT's weren't even linemen in H.S. Even Sherff wasn't a lineman until Iowa request him to be his senior year. So while it's important to try to recruit experienced H.S. linemen, I don't want them to get away from identifying and developing 'bodies' that fit their template.

Last edited:
More crystal ball predictions for Nebraska overnight on Alaric Jackson......this time from a Michigan insider. NEB now leads the crystal ball with the last 6 predictions.

Looking more and more like they're going to go 2/2 on Farniok and Jackson. Hope they're wrong but do we have some backup plans?

Mr. Howe, have you heard anything about Spencer Brown? I can't be the only one who thinks he would be a great developmental project like Croston and so many walk-ons or converted TE's etc. before them that have become outstanding tackles.
I mean let's be honest. Most of Iowa's best OT's weren't even linemen in H.S. Even Sherff wasn't a lineman until Iowa request him to be his senior year. So while it's important to try to recruit experienced H.S. linemen, I don't want them to get away from identifying and developing 'bodies' that fit their template.

He's a preferred walk-on target. He's visited here before and has a good relationship with the staff. He does have a UNI offer so it would depend on how he views that compared to walking on at a higher level. I like him as a player.

More crystal ball predictions for Nebraska overnight on Alaric Jackson......this time from a Michigan insider. NEB now leads the crystal ball with the last 6 predictions.

Looking more and more like they're going to go 2/2 on Farniok and Jackson. Hope they're wrong but do we have some backup plans?

Don't read too much into these crystal ball predictions from 247. They're nice to follow and make it seem like they have inside info. Sometimes they do. Most times they don't. They're speculating, at best.

Seems to me a good weekend would be getting a verbal from Farniok or Jackson (which includes Jackson cancelling any upcoming scheduled visits) and convincing Fant to not take a trip to Minneapolis.

A bad weekend would be not getting any verbals (while you've got them in your domain) and Fant still throwing out mixed signals.

I think fant may well drop Iowa. I'm sure we've got some good back up plans. Any chance at the OT Michigan dropped Rob?

I think fant may well drop Iowa. I'm sure we've got some good back up plans. Any chance at the OT Michigan dropped Rob?

Haven't heard any buzz between us and Swenson. Sounds like Northwestern could be positioned well with him.

I wouldn't be too upset if Jackson and Farniok leave town without committing. These guys have been deliberate with their recruitment to this point and likely will want to talk it over with family when they get home. I'd be ecstatic if it happens, but won't be upset if it doesn't. We're right in there with both.

I think Keith Duncan, the kicker from NC, will accept Iowa's preferred walk-on this weekend. I also think there's a good chance we hear Noah Clayberg is a Hawkeye as well. I know they're not as sexy as the OTs, but both kids can play and would great additions to our program.

Latest posts