Get ready to be let down...

I guess if your expectations are in bringing in a "big name" then drink away. For others who live in the real world we realize we're not KS, NC, KY, or other more noted basketball traditions so we're going to have to assume more risk in our hire much like the most programs do when in this situation. What makes our situation a bit unique is that we went through this only 3 years ago and we have the same AD hiring again.....even more risk.

* Mike Krzyzewski - before Duke....Army HC, 1 year in the NIT, overall record 73-59

* Lute Olson - before Iowa....1 season as HC at Long Beach State (Big West conf.)

* Jim Valvano - before NC St.....Iona HC (Metro Atlantic) for 5 seasons

* Billy Donovan - before FL.....Marshall HC for 2 seasons, record of 35-20

* John Wooden - before UCLA....HC at Indiana St for 2 seasons

* Tom Izzo - never a HC prior to Michigan St.

You could add the names of many other noted coaches to this list that were sitting in the mid majors prior to making the jump to a more noted level.

I'm willing to get behind whoever they hire because that person needs (and is due) the support of Hawkeye fans. It's an important juncture in the program. Hiring is more than just looking at names and records. Gotta do some digging and peeling of the onion to get to the core of the individual and what they are about. Hopefully Barta can do a better job of it this time. I believe he will.

is it just me, or has the "peeling the onion" expression really taken off since they interviewed an executive of the selection committee?

My advice to you this weekend? start drinking heavily...so when the 2:30 news conference comes on Monday afternoon...you're to schnockered to care... I have a bad feeling, this is going to be a VERY disappointing hire... sigh.............

Yes, yes...the sky is falling, blah blah blah...and what not...and when exactly did word come down about this magical press conference?

My advice to you this weekend? start drinking heavily...so when the 2:30 news conference comes on Monday afternoon...you're to schnockered to care... I have a bad feeling, this is going to be a VERY disappointing hire... sigh.............

There is a news conference at 230 Monday afternoon?

All I know is this...

When Iowa announced they hired Kirk Ferentz - most fans went "who the hell is Kirk Ferentz?"

When Iowa hired Steve Alford - nearly everyone was certain this was the right guy and the obvious choice for the job.

Looking back on it now it's pretty obvious why fans don't hire coaches.

The only way I would have been let down is if Lick was coaching next year. I'm going to be happy with a new coach.

+1
+2
+3
+4
+5
+6
+7
+8
+9
+10

i totally agree with you that this hire is going to be an absolute let down... we want a top tier program but we will hire a low level guy.. hopefully we get that 1 in a billion guy that starts out cleaning toilets and ends up the CEO...

Sideshow - finally someone has my back...I owe you a beer....stop by the tailgate next fall

All I know is this...

When Iowa announced they hired Kirk Ferentz - most fans went "who the hell is Kirk Ferentz?"

When Iowa hired Steve Alford - nearly everyone was certain this was the right guy and the obvious choice for the job.

QFT

No matter who gets it, you're not going to know if it's a good hire or a bad one for a few years anyway, so don't worry about it.

All I know is this...

This is pretty much what I have been saying for two weeks, except you managed to say it without any condesention.

How'd you do that?

After Lickliter it makes you wonder if Barta should be hiring coaches. After seeing the names that he is supposed to be looking at the fans could do a better job.

after

Latest posts