Get a load of this...

ShemHawk

Here's what Mel Kiper has to say now about George Kittle and the draft...

Fullbacks
1. George Kittle, Iowa
2. Freddie Stevenson, Florida State
3. Taylor McNamara, USC
4. Sam Rogers, Virginia Tech
5. Tyler McCloskey, Houston
6. Marquez Williams, Miami (Fla.)
7. Shane Smith, San Jose State
8. Nate Iese, UCLA
9. Anthony Firkser, Harvard
10. Joe Bacci, Central Michigan

I've moved Kittle (6-4, 247) over to fullback, and he's my new No. 1. He ran a 4.52 40, which was third-best among tight ends at the combine. He caught 42 passes with 10 touchdowns the past two seasons.

Really Mel? You think he's built like a fullback? Third best time among tight ends, so let's put him in the backfield to block...at least for the 2-3 teams in the NFL that still use fullbacks. Not to mention...how much money would that cost George--to be drafted as a FB instead of TE?

All the hair product is seeping into your brain Mel.

He probably moved him to full back because he knows teams are considering that position for him. Look at his blocking highlights. He's a beast. He can certainly play the position.

I think you're overanalyzing it. A guy like Kittle can be a fullback/TE hybrid type player. No team would simply make him a blocking fullback. They'll use his ability in the passing game as well.

I don't think this devalues Kittle at all. I actually think it speaks to his ability to do a little bit of everything because of his athleticism.

He probably moved him to full back because he knows teams are considering that position for him. Look at his blocking highlights. He's a beast. He can certainly play the position.

I think you're overanalyzing it. A guy like Kittle can be a fullback/TE hybrid type player. No team would simply make him a blocking fullback. They'll use his ability in the passing game as well.

I don't think this devalues Kittle at all. I actually think it speaks to his ability to do a little bit of everything because of his athleticism.

Still seems like a dis.

H-back is huge in some nfl offensive schemes. i can see kittle in motion across the formation like he did at iowa and either lead blocking, trapping a lineman, or going out for passes.

and it is silly to say only 2-3 nfl teams use fullbacks to some degree.

and if you remember the 2nd time the Giants beat the Patriots in super bowl the TE out of backfield was there for big yardage in the first half.

The 49ers just paid Juscheck or however you spell his name a boat load of money to basically play the position Mel is describing here. I doubt Kiper is suggesting using Kittle as full back in the traditional sense like Iowa uses them. Kittle is plenty versatile enough to be used just about anyway you want to. That FB/Hback the Niners signed will be used as an offensive weapon more so then a blocker in Shanahans offense I bet. Although he's pretty good at blocking too. If Dallas Clark were coming out now he'd be projected to play this way too. That said what's the value of being drafted with that tag is yet to be seen. It's still a pretty new thing. Being the 4th or 5th best traditional TE or #1 FB/Hback. I don't see him falling further then the 3rd round.. Especially if his pro day is anywhere as impressive as his day at the combine.

Here are the FBs drafted last year and their rookie contracts.upload_2017-3-19_23-12-14.png

By comparison, Temarrick Hemingway was taken in the 6th round, was the 6th TE taken and his total contract value was $2,499,585. The 1st TE taken was Hunter Henry, in the 2nd round, with a total contract value of $6,380,307.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/draft/2016/tight-end/

This kind of reminds me of when Jimmy Graham was trying to get paid/tagged as a WR instead of a TE. There is value in the designation.

BTW, there were a total of 11 TEs taken last year, with the lowest total contract value being $2,399,326 for pick 252 in the 7th round.

Either way it'd be millions of dollars...who cares?? I think him or anyone for that matter would die at the chance to make an NFL team no matter the position

Here's what Mel Kiper has to say now about George Kittle and the draft...

Fullbacks
1. George Kittle, Iowa
2. Freddie Stevenson, Florida State
3. Taylor McNamara, USC
4. Sam Rogers, Virginia Tech
5. Tyler McCloskey, Houston
6. Marquez Williams, Miami (Fla.)
7. Shane Smith, San Jose State
8. Nate Iese, UCLA
9. Anthony Firkser, Harvard
10. Joe Bacci, Central Michigan

I've moved Kittle (6-4, 247) over to fullback, and he's my new No. 1. He ran a 4.52 40, which was third-best among tight ends at the combine. He caught 42 passes with 10 touchdowns the past two seasons.

Really Mel? You think he's built like a fullback? Third best time among tight ends, so let's put him in the backfield to block...at least for the 2-3 teams in the NFL that still use fullbacks. Not to mention...how much money would that cost George--to be drafted as a FB instead of TE?

All the hair product is seeping into your brain Mel.

You seem like kind of a whiner to me. I'm just sayin'.

Kiper knowing more than you is a tad ironic. He doesn't know nearly as much as he thinks. And yet...he DOES know more than you. So there's that.

Mel knows more about the whole draft class, but unless someone is a top prospect I would bet that many of the people on here know more about a guy they've been watching for the past 3-4 years than Mel does.

And, for the record, his family doesn't think much of this new assessment.

Thanks for your enlightened contribution of absolutely nothing at all to this discussion.

Well, I could have mentioned that you are totally clueless compared to Kiper. Another poster mentioned something to the affect that Kiper might be ranking him with FBs because that is where teams are projecting him. That seems to be a reasonable bet. But you appear to be too dense to figure that out.

I could have mentioned that how Kiper rates someone has nothing to do with how teams rate that prospect, since they all have their own scouts for that. You seem too ill-equipped to figure that out, though.

You seem rather limited in your ability to think this sort of thing through. Maybe you just don't know much about football or how NFL teams function. I was not quite sure what it was. But I was pretty sure that you sounded like kind of a whining crybaby. So that is what I went with.

Chew on that for a bit before you find something else that you are uninformed on to whine about. And as for, "...enlightened contribution of absolutely nothing at all to this discussion," well, you came out with that. I must have just been following your lead.

Another poster mentioned something to the affect that Kiper might be ranking him with FBs because that is where teams are projecting him. That seems to be a reasonable bet.
I could have mentioned that how Kiper rates someone has nothing to do with how teams rate that prospect, since they all have their own scouts for that."

Yep, you could have those things and many more like the other adults on the board and not been a douchebag, but that's what you 'went with."

Have a nice day! ;)

Yep, you could have those things and many more like the other adults on the board and not been a douchebag, but that's what you 'went with."

Have a nice day! ;)

You remind me of that little Northwestern kid in all those gifs that was whining. It's not fair! So dumb!

You remind me of that little Northwestern kid in all those gifs that was whining. It's not fair! So dumb!

Ouch, that one really hurt. Guess you guys really showed me.

You two make a nice couple.

Have a nice day! ;)

Last edited: