Gesell reminds me of Hinrich

I am not ready to compare him to anyone yet.

BUT

I do like his fearlessness...the moments don't seem too big for him and he has a short memory.
He is not afraid to attack..last night he saw the lane open up from 30 feet away and he attacked it.
Like BJ, he has a knack for baseline jumpers...BJ was on the right (or his dribble hand) side, Mike's is on the left
Like BJ, he looks comfy in the elbow shots (just to the side of the lane by the free throw line). BJ was a master at pulling up from that spot in transition. Mike has hit a few of those..those are money shots for point guards in transition offenses.

Mike has a real, real sweet stroke.

I'm extremely excited about him as well, but we played CMU and UTAP in front of moderately sized HOME crowds; not Michigan or OSU on the road. It remains to be seen what he does in "big moments". I think aside from his decision making, his shooting is going to help us the most. I was afraid we'd miss Gatens more than we thought, and it proved true last night. They were packing in the zone b/c no one could hit a shot from outside early on. He created some room underneath for some other guys by hitting a few behind the arc. We're going to need him to keep firing to keep defenses honest.

Oh yeah, well Gesell reminds me of a young Deron Williams.

That's a joke right? Nothing about him is like Deron. Different offense, different style, different passes, different shot..... Neither were from Iowa? Both listed at over 6 ft? Both when young played with 4 future NBA players?

That's a joke right? Nothing about him is like Deron. Different offense, different style, different passes, different shot..... Neither were from Iowa? Both listed at over 6 ft? Both when young played with 4 future NBA players?

Why are you hating on MG? That guy is the future of Iowa BB? You obviously didn't watch the game or you are just a hate troll, but anyone with noledge can tell MG is one of the best young PG's in America.

You're prolly a jealous Clown fan right? Go back to CF.

I think Gesell will be the best point guard at iowa since Ronnie Lester. Better than Steve Carfino, better than jeff Horner. Cartwright was not a leader. Who else?
The way he controls the game is much in Hinrich style

Andre Woolridge and BJ Armstrong?

Gesell has a much more polished game coming out of hs than hinrich did. Hinrich also never had the midrange game that gesell seems to have. Remember hinrich that most think of is his jr and sr yrs where he really elevated his game. He didn't really do a lot as a frosh and soph. Hinrich was also a lock down defender on the pg and the wing. He was quick and strong. I think defensively craft is a lot like hinrich and that will be the true test for gesell. Gesell reminds me more of bj as he is very smooth with everything and isn't necessarily the best at any one thing but really good at everything making him as good of an all around pg as we have seen in a while. Hinrich had a higher ceiling because of his size but gesell is better as a frosh than hinrich was.

Gesell reminds me of Jesus. Mike should be called "the savior" because that is what he is going to bring to IOWA BB. Not only for wins, post season success and championships, this young man convinced Woody, Sapp and Peter Jok to come on board. It's only the beginning but before "the savior" and Coach Fran are done, even Dickie V will be talking about the Hawkeyes in every frickin broadcast he does... ala Duke, Carolina, Kentucky and Indiana.

I'm extremely excited about him as well, but we played CMU and UTAP in front of moderately sized HOME crowds; not Michigan or OSU on the road. It remains to be seen what he does in "big moments". I think aside from his decision making, his shooting is going to help us the most. I was afraid we'd miss Gatens more than we thought, and it proved true last night. They were packing in the zone b/c no one could hit a shot from outside early on. He created some room underneath for some other guys by hitting a few behind the arc. We're going to need him to keep firing to keep defenses honest.

agree...he is going to stumble at times, but he plays within himself..granted, the opponents are not great, but he is playing in his first college games of his life and there are nerves that go along with those moments.

I think Gesell will be the best point guard at iowa since Ronnie Lester. Better than Steve Carfino, better than jeff Horner. Cartwright was not a leader. Who else?

Who else? Is that a serious question?

BJ Armstrong and Andre Woolridge.

Could Gesell be better than those two, yes bu predicting it is ridiculous. Woolridge is the only player to ever lead the conference in points and assists in the same season.

I like Gesell, he's a good player, a real good player. Kirk Hinrich is not a good comparison though. KH was 6-3" to 6-4" and long. From what I gather by looking at MG, he looks to be about 6-0 or 6-1 on the court. I don't care what the program says. He's got good strength and good quicks for a frosh though and a reliable jump shot. I think he might struggle with a long defender like Appling guarding him or some other guys he's going to see in the BIG.

You don't have to be exactly the same height to be compared 2 inches is not that big of a deal. Gesell plays allot like Hinrich in the way he moves with the ball. His mid range pull up game is more like Mike Bibby though.

Who else? Maybe BJ Armstrong or Andre Woolridge. If you are going to compare the best point guards since Lester you might lend more credence to your case if you include those two.

i'm just saying.

Who else? Maybe BJ Armstrong or Andre Woolridge. If you are going to compare the best point guards since Lester you might lend more credence to your case if you include those two.

i'm just saying.

Payne and Lickliter are in there too.

Leslie..Mon'ter Glasper..
Ryan Luehrsmann who..Set an Iowa freshman record with .396 (19-48) shooting percentage from three-point range in 1997 are other point guards who could be best since Lester.

Why are you hating on MG? That guy is the future of Iowa BB? You obviously didn't watch the game or you are just a hate troll, but anyone with noledge can tell MG is one of the best young PG's in America.

You're prolly a jealous Clown fan right? Go back to CF.

That's funny...me a clown fan? I'd rather go to Mizzou than ISU. I like Mikey. Just don't think he is much like Deron Williams. Completely different style.

Hinrich averaged 5.3 pts and 3.5 assists per game as a freshman. Gesell will have a better freshman season. Just saying.

I like the sound of this. Wow, I hope you are right. You win in college with great guard play - Gesell, Clemmons and Marble sure seem to fit the bill

Latest posts