Georgia Tech and Virginia Joining the Big Ten

Any new sources saying this today or is this just a Radom thought?

Random thought thats all. It makes sense for FOX and the BTN to do so for money reasons just not sure it going to happen. Didn't know if anyone else hear anything else yet.

So let me get this straight: You were sitting on your couch, came up with a rumor that no one has ever heard, and posted it here asking if it was going to happen?

To answer your question....given the source I am going to say I dont think this is happening

GT & Va would give the BoneG a presence in the South with recruits. That alone would be a plus. But 16 teams? Would have to try and save some old rivalries in that mess of a schedule.

FSU GT and UNC are joining.

I hope you didn't have to give up any Viesels for that info...17 teams? Might as well round it out with USC, Texas, and Notre Dame so they can be in every television in the country.

Big Ten is expanding to 30 teams soon. Delany will announce the B1G will break away from the NCAA and form a conference playoff system that will award its own National Champion.

So let me get this straight: You were sitting on your couch, came up with a rumor that no one has ever heard, and posted it here asking if it was going to happen?

To answer your question....given the source I am going to say I dont think this is happening

Yes thats what I do...Just asking a simple question. After I started this thread I also found out more information that it may not happen as Georgia Tech is denying all reports but we have heard that before. I am just asking if anyone else has heard anything.

Rutgers, Maryland to join the Big Ten; could Georgia Tech and Virginia be next? - Land-Grant Holy Land

Georgia Tech approved by Big Ten to become 15th member? - Land-Grant Holy Land
You all don’t understand how the TV deal works for the Big Ten Network. Essentially, the BTN gets subscriber fees of about ten cents if it is on a paid sports tier network. It gets about 80 cents if it is part of a basic tier. This is regardless of how many people watch the channel. The BTN makes additional money selling ads which is ratings based. Most outside of the Big Ten don’t realize Fox Sports owns 51% of the BTN. Fox is also starting a national sports channel next year to rival ESPN. It is Fox’s intention to bundle the BTN, YES & their new sports channel in the NY market to get on basic tier.

I don’t think the Atlanta market will be as easy to happen…but if Fox is going to bundle their sports packages like that in Atlanta, GaTech makes perfect sense for that market…just like MD did for DC.

The reason the Big 12 has no interest in adding FSU or any other ACC team is because they have a sweetheart deal right now. They make 20 mil per school off their current TV deal. If they add more schools, each school gets a smaller peice…regardless of TV sets or ratings. A FB championship game wouldn’t make enough of an impact to add two more teams. Plus, TX has its own TV network and all the Big 12 schools are locked in for 10 years and can’t leave the conference (signed away all their TV rights so nobody would want them).
The SEC is a fine football conference but doesn’t hold a candle to the Big Ten in academics, on any measure. The Big Ten is made up of large, mostly public state universities that have a combined annual research income of over $500 million. The money our member universities make off of research and public/private enterprise is more than double what we make in athletics…and what we make in athletics as a conference is more than any other.

Joining the Big Ten would be the best thing to ever happen to GaTech both academically and athletically. BTW – our 16th school after GaTech will be Kansas not UNC.

Big Ten sacrifices quality for cash with expansion - Yahoo! Sports

He's spot on about Fox. Couple things to watch:

1 - Fox is spinning off their print media into a separate public company. The majority of the cash raised is earmarked for investing in regional sports networks.

2 - Fox just inked a deal for the #2 regional, the Dodgers Network, for $8B over 20 some years

3 - Fox is wrapping up a deal to take over 49% of the #1 regional, the Yes network, including controlling its media rights deals with efforts in place to buy up to 80% by 2015.

4 - The remaining money will be to look for other pro regionals, baseball really, across parts of the US.

Once those networks, which are worth more than CFB combined, are in house, you can start investing in smaller regionals. They already own 51% of BTN, but they've also gobbled up the rights to a chunk of the B12's T3. Pushing expansion into the SE, which is owned by ESPN with SEC/ACC could allow it to start a secondary CFB network, even if it didn't buy out ESPN's stake of LHN.

Once those are all in house you can start selling them together as a bundle, much like Viacom doesn't sell all of its channels separate, MTV/Comedy Central/Etc all come as a group. With Yes commanding $3 in carriage a month, as an example, due to people wanting to watch the Yankees, you can hold it hostage to ask for more exposure and money for other channels, like BTN. Do this with enough big regionals and CFB gets a boost just for being at the table.

BTN will be first, but B12's partnership with Fox could be the next domino in line, especially if they pick up a gigantic media property like FSU.

Here is something that is public knowledge but few have actually paid attention to it: Two + years ago the B1G did a study on "eyeballs" and how to maximize its BTN as noted by OP. The list below has really stood up as 3 of the four top teams mentioned are now B1G....note that TX is #1 and Kansas is #7.....if you believe, and I do that there is no way for Notre Dame to go to B1G....that leaves BC and Kansas next up.......I feel that Tx if it goes anywhere it is the Pac 12 and not sure about Missouri except for fact it opened its mouth to get into B1G too often......so my bet is no Georgia Tech and no Univ.VA........at least my thoughts are based on something that has substance....and as little substance as it may have....but guess where #2-#4 are today!

• Texas
  • Rutgers
  • Nebraska
  • Maryland
  • Boston College
  • Notre Dame
  • Kansas
  • Missouri
  • Syracuse
  • Connecticut
  • Pittsburgh
  • Iowa State