Georges Niang Update

Offers Niang had: Iowa, ISU, Maryland, Miami, Seton Hall, Texas A&M, Boston College, Colorado, Providence.

I couldn't be more encouraged by this pickup because Niang plays against great competition, ISU got to him and recognized his talent early (as did Iowa, but as I understand ISU contacted him first), ISU went against some big boys to get him, and because Hoiberg took the point on his recruiting and showed he could close on a recruit.

I think Fran knows how to evaluate talent with Basabe and Cartwright doing well, it's just a matter of getting those kids to campus at Iowa. I expect you guys to be fine. Basbabe might have been a negative from a playing time perspective but it isn't like Iowa's PF position is stacked. He could've contributed a good amount of minutes his first year at Iowa IMO and he will do the same at ISU.

Soooo, where are these "big boys" that Hoiberg went toe-to-toe with? I see a bunch of mediocre to sub-par teams listed above.

I don't think losing out on this kid is a big deal. It would be a bigger deal to get Woodbury. Iowa has Melsahn, Olaseni and Meyer for next season. Meyer can play the 4/5 and don't forget White, who it wouldn't surprise anyone to see some time at the 4 in his career. If Woodbury can be added to that Iowa, it would give Iowa two true Centers on its roster.
Look for Iowa to be able to add Woodbury/Gesell, hopefully and then filling out the class with a couple of top flight athletes. The PF position can be addressed in the 2013/14 classes with Basabe on his way to being Iowa's best player, it is going to be tough to add a recruit to compete with him, if the recruit wants to start.

It's not a huge deal but at the same time Iowa needs to start landing their prospects early on. Can't rely on spring recruits. Hopefully Woodbury and/or Gessell get that started by committing soon.

Soooo, where are these "big boys" that Hoiberg went toe-to-toe with? I see a bunch of mediocre to sub-par teams listed above.

I would say Maryland, Texas A&M, Boston College, Seton Hall, Colorado are all pretty good offers. Specifically Maryland and Texas A&M. They aren't Kansas and North Carolina but with that many offers from big BCS schools I am very happy. He also has like 10 or more offers from smaller schools out east. It's always tough to get a kid to turn down offers from schools out east and come to the midwest. Just my opinion I guess.

It's not a huge deal but at the same time Iowa needs to start landing their prospects early on. Can't rely on spring recruits. Hopefully Woodbury and/or Gessell get that started by committing soon.
Both schools have one PF/C committed for 2012.

He had nice offers but he didn't have the big boys after him by any means. Maybe that would have changed, maybe not. Good quality offers though. A lot of BCS teams and from some solid coaches.

Both schools have one PF/C committed for 2012.

I realize this. It needs to continue. ISU under Greg McDermott did WAY to much spring recruiting. Iowa did it to much this year but it was Fran's first year so it is to be expected. Need to keep landing your early offers as that is the best way to turn your program around quickly

I don't think losing out on this kid is a big deal. It would be a bigger deal to get Woodbury. Iowa has Melsahn, Olaseni and Meyer for next season. Meyer can play the 4/5 and don't forget White, who it wouldn't surprise anyone to see some time at the 4 in his career. If Woodbury can be added to that Iowa, it would give Iowa two true Centers on its roster.
Look for Iowa to be able to add Woodbury/Gesell, hopefully and then filling out the class with a couple of top flight athletes. The PF position can be addressed in the 2013/14 classes with Basabe on his way to being Iowa's best player, it is going to be tough to add a recruit to compete with him, if the recruit wants to start.
Huge loss? no. But, he would have been a nice addition to the roster. Depth and competition are always a good thing.

I would say Maryland, Texas A&M, Boston College, Seton Hall, Colorado are all pretty good offers... Just my opinion I guess.

That is a pretty large definition of 'big boys,' I think by your definition, but, do you know how many rides ISU has left for 2011, and 2012.

That is a pretty large definition of 'big boys,' I think by your definition, but, do you know how many rides ISU has left for 2011, and 2012.

I'll have to check but I think 2 for 2011 and obviously than it depends on 2012. Maybe 3. I think ISU is close to another committment from a kid with VERY good offers soon

Maryland is a VERY good historic school. Texas A&M is stacked with talent and will be in the top 25 next year.

I believe ISU has 2 left in 2011 and at least 2 left in 2012.

I'll have to check but I think 2 for 2011 and obviously than it depends on 2012. Maybe 3. I think ISU is close to another committment from a kid with VERY good offers soon
Percy Gibson? I wonder if the addition of Niang will have any effect on him?

Last edited:
Maryland is a VERY good historic school. Texas A&M is stacked with talent and will be in the top 25 next year.

I believe ISU has 2 left in 2011 and at least 2 left in 2012.

Thanks.

Does it look like ISU is trying to fill the remaining two rides?

Where do they stand with Percy Gibson?

Thanks.

Does it look like ISU is trying to fill the remaining two rides?

Where do they stand with Percy Gibson?

I know ISU is a major player, took his official this weekend to ISU. Dayton, Georgia Tech, and Va Tech are also in his top 4. Michigan State is a player, I think if they offer he will consider strongly as he is from Michigan. I haven't seen anything regarding any other 2011 targets and I would guess we bank the remaining scholly or give Bubu Palo a one year only scholly so it doesn't go to waste.

Gibson looks legit down low. Niang's scouting report turned me off a little, ESPN's description makes him sound like Brennan Cougil part two.

Soft, poor body, little athleticism, good hands, good moves, skilled player, plays below the rim, will have trouble rebounding out of his area, good shooter all the way out to the perimeter... Sounds a lot like what Cougil could have been at Iowa, if Lickliter wasn't all about his big guys jacking up threes, and if Cougil wasn't all about watching Adult Swim all night instead of studying.

Damn...it would have been nice to get him. At least we can focus on other recruits now. ISU definitely has some talent in the pipelines...I will be interested to see how all that turns out with an inexperienced coach.

Gibson looks legit down low. Niang's scouting report turned me off a little, ESPN's description makes him sound like Brennan Cougil part two.

Soft, poor body, little athleticism, good hands, good moves, skilled player, plays below the rim, will have trouble rebounding out of his area, good shooter all the way out to the perimeter... Sounds a lot like what Cougil could have been at Iowa, if Lickliter wasn't all about his big guys jacking up threes, and if Cougil wasn't all about watching Adult Swim all night instead of studying.

Very old write up from ESPN. I don't think guys like Gary Williams and Fran McCaffrey would offer him if he was like Brennan Cougil

Latest posts