George Kittle Contract Negotiations

I'm guessing they'll pick up the 5th year option in 2021 on his rookie contract and franchise tags for 2022 and 2023 (roughly 11 million per season which is a steal for the 49ers).

He'll turn 30 early in 2023 season. And that will probably be the end of his time in SF

This is where the NFL contracts can really screw some guys over especially the franchise tagging. Its my opinion with George's personality and likeability the majority of his career money isn't going to be made from the NFL but other endorsements.

If he can become the face of a brand such as Manning did with Papa Johns or something like that his earnings from that will dwarf what he makes from football. If he stays a good teammate a stays grounded there will be tons of options for him.

In the long run if his goal is to make a ton of money he should look outside CA anyway because the state is going to take a huge chunk anyway.

I'm guessing they'll pick up the 5th year option in 2021 on his rookie contract and franchise tags for 2022 and 2023 (roughly 11 million per season which is a steal for the 49ers).

He'll turn 30 early in 2023 season. And that will probably be the end of his time in SF

II he can't get a long term deal done 22 mil guaranteed from the franchise tag(s) could be a good thing if he can parlay it into a big deal(a bunch of guaranteed money up front) the way Kirk Cousin did.

His agent is right. George shouldn’t be paid based on TE, it should be based more on WR. SF gets a guy with WR speed and catching ability, in addition to the ability to block guys into the opposition’s bench.

His agent is right. George shouldn’t be paid based on TE, it should be based more on WR. SF gets a guy with WR speed and catching ability, in addition to the ability to block guys into the opposition’s bench.

It is the same argument Le'Veon Bell and his agent tried to work. Hopefully, Kittle and his agent play the " I am a playmaker" argument better than Bell and his agent did. And whatever Kittle decides to do.....do not leave franchise tag money on the table just to try to prove a point.

It is the same argument Le'Veon Bell and his agent tried to work. Hopefully, Kittle and his agent play the " I am a playmaker" argument better than Bell and his agent did. And whatever Kittle decides to do.....do not leave franchise tag money on the table just to try to prove a point.

RBs are a dime a dozen, so Bell didn’t have near the leverage that George does as one of the league’s best overall pass catchers.

RBs are a dime a dozen, so Bell didn’t have near the leverage that George does as one of the league’s best overall pass catchers.

Maybe. He doesn’t have the leverage you think he has. He can over play his hand if he isn’t smart about how he approaches this. I love Kittle, but Shannonhan and Lynch are good enough to move on without him. I am sure they have a number in mind and that number is set in stone. If that number doesn’t work for him then he will be playing under that franchise tag.

Assuming there is a football season, he'll have a contract extension before the end of it. He is the teams most valuable player, and he'll definitely be extended. I assume he'll get something between 14.5-16 million a year when its all done. If I was the agent i would say lets average the franchise tag for wr, te, and rt position. You do that you're right there. More than tight end but less than wide receiver tag. Which is where he should be and where he wants to be. It will mean at the end of the year they trade or waive kwon alexander and dump two running backs, but they lose a lot of money on guys at the end of the year. George will get his money by the end of the year. Mark it down.

Assuming there is a football season, he'll have a contract extension before the end of it. He is the teams most valuable player, and he'll definitely be extended. I assume he'll get something between 14.5-16 million a year when its all done. If I was the agent i would say lets average the franchise tag for wr, te, and rt position. You do that you're right there. More than tight end but less than wide receiver tag. Which is where he should be and where he wants to be. It will mean at the end of the year they trade or waive kwon alexander and dump two running backs, but they lose a lot of money on guys at the end of the year. George will get his money by the end of the year. Mark it down.
Agree. George is going to ring the cash register whatever happens. Personally, I would rather see his agent keep the negotiations out of the public eye at this point. Sometimes I think these agents just like to make a name for themselves with that approach he is taking.

Just spitballing here they will offer a 5 year extension with 40-50 million dollars in guaranteed money. Kittle will have to decide if that is enough or not. If it is not then it will likely play out the way @Xerxes described it.

Being tagged could work for him if he can land a big money deal after.

As stated before I love Kittle, but I get it if the 49ers play it this way.

He doesn't have a 5th year option to pick up. That's for 1st round draft picks only. I'm sure they'll either get a long term deal done or tag him after next year.

Scherff was franchise tagged this year for $15 million. Not sure I have seen any former Hawk bigger than that, but I am not sure what Yanda got last year..

Kittle is going to break the bank. The 49ers better not be stupid with him. These next 4 yrs will be the best he's got to give and he should be paid accordingly. The thing is the 9ers may want to pay him in accordance to what the TE market is and well he's just more then that. He just is. He's more valuable then many WRs that are getting 14 15 even 20 million per yr. I don't think he can be compared to what Hunter Henry is getting at 10/yr so it'll be an interesting thing to keep an eye on

Kittle is going to break the bank. The 49ers better not be stupid with him. These next 4 yrs will be the best he's got to give and he should be paid accordingly. The thing is the 9ers may want to pay him in accordance to what the TE market is and well he's just more then that. He just is. He's more valuable then many WRs that are getting 14 15 even 20 million per yr. I don't think he can be compared to what Hunter Henry is getting at 10/yr so it'll be an interesting thing to keep an eye on
He deserves every cent of it. He's worked his butt off to become extremely skilled in all phases of his game and is showing the results on the field as well.

Every agent negotiating for a talented TE always makes the same dumb argument: he should be paid like he is a WR. The truth is that he is not a WR. Yes, he is talented, and yes he can flex out and cause match up problems. But, George would not make the team if he was playing WR. We all know that.

He deserves to be the highest paid TE in NFL history, and he will be, for about a year. Both sides have leverage here, which is why a deal that will give George and his family generational wealth will get done. My guess is 4 years for 46 million with a good chunk of that upfront/guaranteed.

I am proud of this Hawk. Damn proud.

A quick google check has Travis Kelce at 9.4 mil per year. I don't think Gronk reached more than 11+ per year. I think some of you are delusional if you think Kittle will set the market at 14+. This isn't complicated, he has to decide if 40-50 mil in guaranteed money is enough.

Latest posts