Geno Stone Heading to NFL

But there are also years where it would be key. Iowa next year would certainly be better with Stone, AJ, Wirfs, etc. Imagine if Greene stuck around for another year in 2009.

Now, if Iowa reloaded with Big Time Talent it would be another thing (position after position). But, we are not exactly Ohio St, Bama, etc in that department.

If Chuck Long did not return for his senior year, would Iowa win the Big Ten?

The guy who would have thrown the pigskin also was in the NFL. So, maybe.

But there are also years where it would be key. Iowa next year would certainly be better with Stone, AJ, Wirfs, etc. Imagine if Greene stuck around for another year in 2009.

Now, if Iowa reloaded with Big Time Talent it would be another thing (position after position). But, we are not exactly Ohio St, Bama, etc in that department.

If Chuck Long did not return for his senior year, would Iowa win the Big Ten?

The main reason we didnt go undefeated this year was trouble scoring inside the 30. Think Fant and Hockenson could have helped out with that? Greene coming back in 09 would have been huge. If we had our 4 guys back for this year, it would have been bigger. Tight ends turning field goals into touchdowns, Nelson getting sacks, and Hooker in the secondary. I think we almost certainly go undefeated or end up with 1 loss with a decent shot at OSU to get to the playoffs. I think this year was an even bigger what if than Greene simply because I don't think we necessarily beat OSU in 09 with Greene.

I love Stone and think he’s been a great Hawkeye.

With that being said, Hooker was a 6’1 210lb battering ram with great cover skills, DBOY in the B1G and great combine measurables and the best he could do was 4th round.

Ive got a real fear that Stone goes undrafted.
Really depends a lot on combine numbers

I think he’s a very solid pro/borderline pro bowler. Dude just plays football, measurable be damned. Hooker, King, Stone, Hitchens they all fit that mold/similar. Get paid and thanks for being a great Hawkeye student athlete.

Like at Bama if a dude left early to be a 5th round pick the players would be like what is this guy doing. I guess that would never really happen at Bama though because their players are all 4 and 5 star players with significantly higher ceilings than Geno (that’s not a knock on Geno just that they likely have the ability to play themselves into a 1st or 2nd round grade where that was unlikely for Geno even if he came back). Just a random thought I had.

It’s just crazy. Hooker tested really well at the combine and went in the 4th. He was 1st team all big ten and won the DB of the year. He also played the cash/nickel which is a huge thing in today’s NFL having that versatility. Geno was a 2nd team all B1G player and won’t test near as well as Hooker. I just hope he got sound advice here and it works out for him but it really is quite interesting.

Bama had seven players go into the 2019 draft early. Two of those 7 (Dionte Thompson and Mack Wilson) were drafted in the 5th round or later and another (Savion Smith) didn't get drafted. It used to be that guys went early if they were going to get drafted in the first couple of rounds. That's not always the case anymore.

Please review the NFL draft rules again. Can a kid comeback if he does the combine and decides he's not ready...assuming he doesn't hire an agent?

I think he’s a very solid pro/borderline pro bowler. Dude just plays football, measurable be damned. Hooker, King, Stone, Hitchens they all fit that mold/similar. Get paid and thanks for being a great Hawkeye student athlete.

An honorable mention all conference guy is a borderline pro bowler? Fran called and wants his hyperbole back.

Does anyone know exactly how the insurance works? Can a school pay for the policy? I would assume they calculate the value of the policy according to the draft projections some how?

I just wonder how that figures in, that if there is a kid that just loves the college life and is a high pick that he could come back for his senior year with some financial assurances.

Does anyone know exactly how the insurance works? Can a school pay for the policy? I would assume they calculate the value of the policy according to the draft projections some how?

I just wonder how that figures in, that if there is a kid that just loves the college life and is a high pick that he could come back for his senior year with some financial assurances.

I've read various articles on this topic and the biggest takeaway for me is that it's risky. Sometimes it's not paid and the situation appears fluid.

Here's one of the articles I felt did well in explaining some of the pitfalls and potential changes:

LINK

To add to Rob's info, here is what the NCAA provides on loss-of-value insurance:
http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/insurance/loss-value-insurance-white-paper

Regarding covering the cost, this source provides the following information regarding covering the premiums, which can exceed $25,000.

Several options can help eligible student-athletes or their college or university fund their premiums.

• The college or university funds the premium
  • Of course, student-athletes and their families can pay for it out of pocket, though this option is often unfeasible due to cost.
  • In 2014, the NCAA created a waiver that allows athletes to borrow against their future earnings to cover LOV insurance premiums—an option previously reserved for funding permanent total disability insurance. Athletes must pay off the loan in full after signing a pro contract or endorsement deal.
  • The NCAA also began allowing its member institutions to use the NCAA Student Assistance Fund to pay for eligible athletes’ purchase loss of value insurance—an increasingly popular practice.
  • Combinations of these options are the most popular way of funding premiums: a combination of bank-loaned money, personal funds, and money from the college or university’s Student Assistance Fund.
Despite a myriad of options to assist eligible college athletes legally, athletes cannot seek premium funding from just anywhere. NCAA bylaws prohibit an agent, advisor, or financial advisor from loaning the student-athlete money to purchase a policy. Instead, athletes must borrow from established, accredited commercial lending institutions—in the event that the athlete (and his/her family) cannot afford the premiums out-of-pocket.

Has Geno been projected anywhere in the draft yet by experts? Rounds 4-7?

Well there's always the XFL to fall back on.

Hate to break it to you guys, but Stone, Wirfs, and AJ leaving early in a year when Kittle is the most popular player in the NFL and TE recruits see LaPorta breaking out is a ridiculously good thing for this program.

This is an investment in the future, boys. Money in the bank earning interest.

Don’t be short-sighted and wish they’d stay for one more selfish year, especially when they’d likely not match the seasons they had this year.

Go get your money, boys, and make sure you @ those recruits on Twitter for us.
I agree. The X factor I think some of us kind of forget (speaking for myself here mostly) is to what extent are KFs days numbered? I think program is in as good a shape as ever (best 5 yr run is a pretty good barometer) So what could derail things as fast as anything beyond a scandal? Coaching change. Now if KF has 4 yrs or better left then hell yeah I'm as fired up as ever. But if he's year to year we'll be in danger of sneaking up on what happened to Fry at the end of his run. It obviously hasn't yet and maybe it won't but it feels like a possibility.

Dochterman made an interesting comparision between Hyde and Stone. They were both 2* recruits with MAC offers that Iowa poached late. They were both HS QBs from the Rust Belt. The diference is that Hyde stayed for his 4th year and earned B1G DB of the year, and subsequently got drafted in the 5th. But I would say Stone would have a decent shot at that award if he returned, he just wants to get the NFL thing started one year sooner.

I think his coverage skills clearly lag behind Hyde (a great B1G corner), but he can probably make an impact on special teams to hang around, and that will give him an opportunity to gradually show what he can do. Stone led Iowa in special teams tackles as a true freshman.

Also, back to the workload thing, Stone led Iowa in defensive snaps this year, and it's not like he was playing patty-cake out there.

Geno-Stone-tackle.gif

I get why Stone is going. His attributes are what they are. His size speed strength pretty much are what they are. Another year on tape of him doing what he's already done won't really raise his draft stock much if at all. His ceiling is what it is. So he's done doing it for free and wants to get started. A yr less of wear and tear on his body in college is one more he can be getting paid. Makes total sense to me.

Dochterman made an interesting comparision between Hyde and Stone. They were both 2* recruits with MAC offers that Iowa poached late. They were both HS QBs from the Rust Belt. The diference is that Hyde stayed for his 4th year and earned B1G DB of the year, and subsequently got drafted in the 5th. But I would say Stone would have a decent shot at that award if he returned, he just wants to get the NFL thing started one year sooner.

I think his coverage skills clearly lag behind Hyde (a great B1G corner), but he can probably make an impact on special teams to hang around, and that will give him an opportunity to gradually show what he can do. Stone led Iowa in special teams tackles as a true freshman.

Also, back to the workload thing, Stone led Iowa in defensive snaps this year, and it's not like he was playing patty-cake out there.

Geno-Stone-tackle.gif
That play looked like Bob Sanders right up until contact. Closed out like a missile.