Gavin Williams Commits to Iowa

Have left a few messages with Gavin for a story but have not heard back. I trust Matthew Bain's info though.

I saw GW play this season in the opener at Valley when he was hurt. I liked what I saw. I think he's in the mold of Adam Robinson.

I don't think he's as good as Brandon Wegher in terms of instate backs in the last 25 years, but he's a good get.

I think it's fair to put him behind Wegher. If we stick with 25 years (roughly1996-2020 cycles) there are legitimately only Wegher, Jason Scales, and Williams that have been high 3-star or low 4-star in-state RB recruits.

ESPN lists offers as
Iowa
Iowa state
Michigan
Nebraska
I've heard enough. Drinks are on me boys. Grape knee-high for everyone.

Last edited:
Have left a few messages with Gavin for a story but have not heard back. I trust Matthew Bain's info though.

I saw GW play this season in the opener at Valley when he was hurt. I liked what I saw. I think he's in the mold of Adam Robinson.

I don't think he's as good as Brandon Wegher in terms of instate backs in the last 25 years, but he's a good get.

Ummmm, no offense Rob, but Adam didn’t have offers from Nebraska and Michigan and he certainly didn't run a sub 11 second 100 like Gavin.

Ummmm, no offense Rob, but Adam didn’t have offers from Nebraska and Michigan and he certainly didn't run a sub 11 second 100 like Gavin.
This kid certainly has the athleticism Robinson didn't have. But Robinson was a gamer It's not knocking him to say this. I just agree with you on how this kid is good and Robinson didn't have the ceiling this kid does.

And for those that forgot how good Wegher was in HS... The dude put up video game numbers in HS. Absolutely was unstoppable. If he'd have stayed at Iowa his whole career he'd have done some big time things. I don't think it'd have been all that much of a time share going forward he was a freakishly good all around player.

Saying someone is in the mold of AR is not an insult. I saw both play live in high school and their running styles are comparable. I linked my scouting report of GW in the story I wrote last night on his commitment.

Saying someone is in the mold of AR is not an insult. I saw both play live in high school and their running styles are comparable. I linked my scouting report of GW in the story I wrote last night on his commitment.

I know what you are saying, and I know it wasn't an insult. I just think Gavin's ceiling is much higher than Adam's was because of his speed. If Gavin is as physical of runner with Adam's vision, plus he has more speed, that could be very good in Iowa's offense.

I've seen over half of Gavin's games over the past 3 years and I think we need to calm down on him a bit. No question he has speed on a track and he has the physical measurables, but so far he doesn't impress me as a 'football player'. Finally ran like he meant it in playoffs, but has been easy to bring down most of his career. Ball security not the greatest and has dropped lots of passes. Hasn't learned the north-south thing. Can look impressive once he's in the open field, but who doesn't. Biggest concern I have is his demeanor during games: always trails the team by 10-20 yards when running onto the field; helmet off when rest of team wearing theirs; talking to people in the stands during games. Not things that will fit in well at Iowa. Left for Dowling. I don't think he was awarded any team awards at the end of the season. Have heard other things but won't post what I don't know for sure. Highlight films are one thing...seeing entire games are another. Hope he turns out.

I've seen over half of Gavin's games over the past 3 years and I think we need to calm down on him a bit. No question he has speed on a track and he has the physical measurables, but so far he doesn't impress me as a 'football player'. Finally ran like he meant it in playoffs, but has been easy to bring down most of his career. Ball security not the greatest and has dropped lots of passes. Hasn't learned the north-south thing. Can look impressive once he's in the open field, but who doesn't. Biggest concern I have is his demeanor during games: always trails the team by 10-20 yards when running onto the field; helmet off when rest of team wearing theirs; talking to people in the stands during games. Not things that will fit in well at Iowa. Left for Dowling. I don't think he was awarded any team awards at the end of the season. Have heard other things but won't post what I don't know for sure. Highlight films are one thing...seeing entire games are another. Hope he turns out.
Hmm...This is strange stuff to hear. I would think this kind of stuff might concern the staff if they noticed it. Maybe they haven't seen it. I hope he is a true competitor but maybe he just plays because he is able to without real passion for the game. I'll be paying close attention to his play at Dowling this coming season to see what he looks like. If I don't like what I see, I'll call a meeting with the staff and discuss his spot in the class.

I think that he, like most recruits, will get his eyes opened the first time he lines up with Doyle and his more experienced team mates. They will get wider when he sees the competition he faces. If his attitude is suspect, we will know pretty quickly. Hopefully, he will recognize his short comings early. Best of luck to a young man with great potential! Iowa's philosophy on what they expect from recruits will be nothing but a big positive for this young man.

Brandon Wehger...ahhhh, what coulda-shoulda been.

Latest posts