Gavin Holmes Talks to HN About Decision to Decommit from Iowa

Has everyone in this thread been defeatist pussies their whole life or is this just a new phenomena?

People that care about this team aren't real happy watching all the talent walk away. You shouldn't be either.

Iowa's recruiting 2017 recruiting class is now 10th in the Big 10, 41st overall according to 247sports.com.

Teams ahead of Iowa:
Iowa State, Rutgers, Maryland, Northwestern, Kentucky, Oregon State.

This is coming off a 12 win season. Staff should be ashamed.

"No bigger loser"? Really?! Drama queen much?

Name another coach who knows he sucks so bad that he chooses to kickoff to the other team to begin BOTH halves lmao! Think about that, seriously. "Yeah well they won doing it". Yeah, how many times have they lost to double digit dogs because of him coaching like an absolute bi***? Countless. He's a loser in the true sense of the word. He coaches to try not to lose, instead of trying to win. Iowa is absolutely fu**ed until he does everyone a favor and gtfo.

People that care about this team aren't real happy watching all the talent walk away. You shouldn't be either.

Iowa's recruiting 2017 recruiting class is now 10th in the Big 10, 41st overall according to 247sports.com.

Teams ahead of Iowa:
Iowa State, Rutgers, Maryland, Northwestern, Kentucky, Oregon State.

This is coming off a 12 win season. Staff should be ashamed.

It's one thing to not be happy...which I'm not. I enjoy getting the 4 stars as much as the next guy. But the hay isn't even in the barn yet and, predictably, every Negative Nancy comes out like the sky is falling. It's not like when Higdon decommitted on signing day. We've got a lot of time before February to bring this class back together.

Just not sure what good it does to bitch and moan before things are even final....not to mention, bitching and moaning about the decisions of teenagers.

Name another coach who knows he sucks so bad that he chooses to kickoff to the other team to begin BOTH halves lmao! Think about that, seriously. "Yeah well they won doing it". Yeah, how many times have they lost to double digit dogs because of him coaching like an absolute bi***? Countless. He's a loser in the true sense of the word. He coaches to try not to lose, instead of trying to win. Iowa is absolutely fu**ed until he does everyone a favor and gtfo.

Yeah, yeah, yeah.....we're so fucked that we just came off an undefeated regular season and have a chance to finish tied for 1st in the B1G West with an offense that can barely get 100 yards passing per game. Just think if we could get 200?! :)

In all seriousness, there's a lot worse out there. We could be Notre Dame, Texas, Michigan State, UCLA, etc., etc. All a matter of perspective I guess. Not worth getting all lathered up about, though....

Last edited:
It's one thing to not be happy...which I'm not. I enjoy getting the 4 stars as much as the next guy. But the hay isn't even in the barn yet and, predictably, every Negative Nancy comes out like the sky is falling. It's not like when Higdon decommitted on signing day. We've got a lot of time before February to bring this class back together.

Just not sure what good it does to bitch and moan before things are even final....not to mention, bitching and moaning about the decisions of teenagers.

But staying silent is basically giving approval to the status quo. The deafening silence is how we got to a place where a single individual can hold an entire University hostage to their demands. It's not a good place to be in. Things need to change. Now if you reply with, "Well no one cares about us idiots on HN." My reply will be, "Okay, then why be bothered by the rants of nobodies??"

But staying silent is basically giving approval to the status quo. The deafening silence is how we got to a place where a single individual can hold an entire University hostage to their demands. It's not a good place to be in. Things need to change. Now if you reply with, "Well no one cares about us idiots on HN." My reply will be, "Okay, then why be bothered by the rants of nobodies??"

Nobody is saying to stay silent....just until the recruiting class has actually been signed. Then if it sucks, scream bloody murder. But getting all pissed off now, in November, 3 months before signing day seems rather counterproductive.....

I think you're completely missing it. I believe most people completely understand why these kids are decommitting. What they are rightly bitching about are the hypocritical and archaic recruiting practices by this coaching staff, that are leading to the decommits.

I'd be curious to hear how many quality recruits you think Iowa can realistically flip or sign before Feb. Especially on the offensive side of the ball where we Iowa needs the most help and is losing all these recruits. Iowa's current offense ranks 121 out of 128 teams. That is behind Kansas. Kids don't want to play offense at Kansas, much less a team behind it.

This message board has to be the most negative place ever, which is a popular thing now a days. I mean shesh 7-4 and only 1 blow out the whole season? I mean does anyone honestly think Utah is a better program than Iowa (their best win as vs USC early in the year), which is the common school among the 3 offensive guys, Calloway was the biggest loss out of this entire class. So take a deep breathe at least Iowa isnt Texas, ND or even MSU who haven't gotten any results with top 20 classes every year.

This message board has to be the most negative place ever, which is a popular thing now a days. I mean shesh 7-4 and only 1 blow out the whole season? I mean does anyone honestly think Utah is a better program than Iowa (their best win as vs USC early in the year), which is the common school among the 3 offensive guys, Calloway was the biggest loss out of this entire class. So take a deep breathe at least Iowa isnt Texas, ND or even MSU who haven't gotten any results with top 20 classes every year.
I see that you're celebrating Thanksgiving a lil early.

ND played in the title game 3 years ago and MSU was in the CFP last year and has had SUSTAINED success recently. Texas is making coaching change this year. I wish Iowa was more like these schools.

This board was mostly positive last year during the 12-0 run last year. When things are going poorly, then the board is negative.

The pipeline to Texas turned into a sewage line...backed all the way up to Kirk's office...

An aspect of Iowa's philosophy called out as being out of date? This can't be...glad I was sitting down when I heard about it.

Oh well...you can't miss something you never had...perhaps we can apply the quote to our coaching staff...

Nobody is saying to stay silent....just until the recruiting class has actually been signed. Then if it sucks, scream bloody murder. But getting all pissed off now, in November, 3 months before signing day seems rather counterproductive.....
What the hell does 3 months matter?

Do you think a bunch of recruits are just going to spontaneously stumble upon the greatness that is the Iowa offense and want to play for this team come signing day?

It isn't the individual players decommitting that's causing all this commotion, either. It's the snowball effect that this shit sandwich offense (with extra mayo) is having on getting good players to come here. We had one of the premier recruting classes in the NCAA before Greg and Kirk shit the bed and now Iowa State 's class is way better than ours.

Here's the teams IN ALL OF FBS FOOTBALL that have less total offense.

UConn
Texas State
Wake Forest
Illinois
Kent State
Boston College
Rutgers

Let that sink in for a minute.

We are ranked 121st in total offense and 113th in passing offense out of 128 teams. Explain to the people here why any WR would ever come here to play for this scheme, especially with a sophomore quarterback who's played a total of about 5 minutes of college football. Come back in 3 months and tell me that things are better.

What I don't get is how we justify holding verbal commits from visiting other school, but are perfectly fine offering and hosting players who have committed elsewhere.

We need strong pipelines to compete and succeed in the conference and nationally. I get that we don't want "drama" players and I get that we pride ourselves on developing walk-ons and 1-stars, but all that is going to get us is one magical season every 5 years when all the pieces fit together and the stars align. Then graduation, injuries, the draft and a more difficult schedule hits us and we drop to another mediocre 7-5 regular season.

“The whole situation that happened with my brother, Eno, and Iowa’s policy and how they went out and offered a committed prospect and tried getting him to visit when their recruits were not allowed to take visits at all just didn’t sit very well with me and I think it was handled completely wrong,” Holmes said.

Thank you young Holmes for your brutal honesty. Something that many of us have been trying to explain on this board.

For those that still think the no-visit is just awesome - where are you now?

It's not that they have de-committed - it's the reasons why. Did you actually read what Holmes had to say? Some brutal honesty there.

What the hell does 3 months matter?

Do you think a bunch of recruits are just going to spontaneously stumble upon the greatness that is the Iowa offense and want to play for this team come signing day?

It isn't the individual players decommitting that's causing all this commotion, either. It's the snowball effect that this shit sandwich offense (with extra mayo) is having on getting good players to come here. We had one of the premier recruting classes in the NCAA before Greg and Kirk shit the bed and now Iowa State 's class is way better than ours.

Here's the teams IN ALL OF FBS FOOTBALL that have less total offense.

UConn
Texas State
Wake Forest
Illinois
Kent State
Boston College
Rutgers

Let that sink in for a minute.

We are ranked 121st in total offense and 113th in passing offense out of 128 teams. Explain to the people here why any WR would ever come here to play for this scheme, especially with a sophomore quarterback who's played a total of about 5 minutes of college football. Come back in 3 months and tell me that things are better.

And lucky for us, two of those teams were on our schedule, and we still barely beat them (IL was close until 6 mins left).

I keep reading from a few people "We're nearly tied for first in the division with a horrible offense!!"

Which is exactly why this staff needs to be held accountable. Imagine if we had the 80th ranked offense in the nation??? We'd probably have the division wrapped up by now.

KF doesn't like offense. When his seat isn't hot, he is in clock management mode. He wants to win by having the defense make stops, flip the field with punting, and hoping the offense can run for 200+ yards every time.

Yes our defense can be crap sometimes too, but the averages year after year show it's the offense that keeps us from ever getting to the MSU, WI level of success.

GDGD has to "retire" after this year, and KF needs another January press release stating he's releasing full control to the next OC

Latest posts