Gavin Holmes Talks to HN About Decision to Decommit from Iowa

Have any of you that are complaining about the "policy" stopped to think why Holmes and Beau's offers were not withdrawn after taking visits. We will only ever hear one side of the Eno story. But if one were to use logic, you would know that some facts are missing on why the offer was pulled from Eno. If it was Eno's wrongdoing what would cause him to come out and say that, he needs to find another suitor at this point.

Have any of you that are complaining about the "policy" stopped to think why Holmes and Beau's offers were not withdrawn after taking visits. We will only ever hear one side of the Eno story. But if one were to use logic, you would know that some facts are missing on why the offer was pulled from Eno. If it was Eno's wrongdoing what would cause him to come out and say that, he needs to find another suitor at this point.

what are you talking about? Holmes didn't take an official visit and Corrales didn't take a visit before he decommitted.

Name a school not named Alabama or Ohio State that has no problem with kids that have verbally pledged to them visiting other schools without keeping them in the loop?

I'll put my stock in the man who has been at the school for over 25 years and has been a direct part of some of the greatest seasons in the history of the program before some 17 year old punk kid that doesn't know his ass from a hole in the ground.

But you're missing the bigger picture that this "17 year old punk kid that doesn't know his ass from a hole in the ground" is and was exactly the same player that KF was recruiting. We put labels on 17 year old kids yet the guy you are putting your stock into, cannot find ways to keep them around. The fact is it's the 17 and 18 year olds that are the kids we are recruiting. KF may have all this experience, but he's losing face as well as the confidence of those being recruited.

Everyone wants to personally blame Eno, but if KF and staff had the relationship with these recruits that they thought they had they wouldn't have lost the other recruits. Trust is a two way street and regardless of whether people think the policy is stupid or Eno's to blame the fact remains that 17 and 18 year old kids find it hypocritical that a commit gets an offer pulled for visiting another school yet they offered a kid already committed to replace him; regardless of how it really played out behind closed doors. The art of recruiting can be seen as very shady, and I can definitely see why a situation like this could cause a recruit to second guess their original commitment to a coach/program that they may see differently as a result.

Then again, I'm sure all WR's want to play in an offense that's been held under 200 yards passing 8 times this season. I'm sure that's a big plus this late in the game with signing day only a few months away.

Have any of you supporting the policy stopped to think about how it looks to a kid to enter into a no visit policy and then to see a friend decommit only to see his scholarship being offered to a player already committed to another program? Do you really expect kids to use that sort of logic when they may have other schools that that are showing interest in them?

I've heard it both ways(upfront and no offer pulled, sneak visit then do it again offer pulled) if you cannot trust a guy to be upfront then how can you trust him to be committed to the program and the 'right fit' I see why it got pulled if that was the case and Iowa has always been very upfront saying if a recruit invites them to be listened to then they will recruit him regardless, if told no they do not pursue further. This seems very petty and I get kids can be shortsighted. Sounds to me like Eno tried to be sneaky and it wasn't a good look, now his buddies are followers not leaders. I say best of luck but I want players who want to form own path and committed because of own choices. Followers are not the teammates I want at Iowa any way. *purely spectical amd IMO, no facts just looking at it as open minded as I can to see how both sides potentially got to this moment in all regards

I don't know why this has come as a surprise to you guys, these guys only wanted to come here to be with Eno, once he wasn't coming here it was only a matter of time.

Have any of you supporting the policy stopped to think about how it looks to a kid to enter into a no visit policy and then to see a friend decommit only to see his scholarship being offered to a player already committed to another program? Do you really expect kids to use that sort of logic when they may have other schools that that are showing interest in them?

I actually don't fully support the policy, but I do understand why it is in place. Also, if they are referencing the Rutgers RB recruit the head coach was fired before we offered. Don't recall when we offered the Pitt recruit.

What Eno's visits were to ASU and Mizzou are very clouded. Some recruiting sites don't even mention the visits while there are statements from people associated with ASU that say it was an official visit. That to me seems sketchy in itself but whatever.

Either way these guys were only coming because of Eno for the most part and when the ring leader left they are likely to follow.

Then there's the picture of Oliver Martin....a kid we coulda had locked up a long time ago right under the coaching staff's nose and there he is Mr WR coach Bobby "Mr. Useless" Kennedy yuckin it up. He and Greg Davis have been complete losers on the recruiting trail in TX. Hayden used to wipe up down there. I'm amazed <jokingly> that they missed Martin the first time. If I was that kid I'd go anywhere but Iowa as a WR why break up a tradition of the WR dessert that is Iowa football.

I think we've already been through this. Eno's offer was pulled because he went on other visits without informing the coaching staff, not because he took visits themselves. At least it looks that way, according to reports.

It's troubling to me that it's possible that these other three kids who've de-committed are followers and not leaders as perhaps their minds have now been poisoned by Eno. I don't know that to be a fact but it sure seems that way.

It sucks losing these guys but, on the other hand, it may just be better for the University of Iowa that they aren't coming here because they may not have the character we're looking for.

I think we've already been through this. Eno's offer was pulled because he went on other visits without informing the coaching staff, not because he took visits themselves. At least it looks that way, according to reports.

It's troubling to me that it's possible that these other three kids who've de-committed are followers and not leaders as perhaps their minds have now been poisoned by Eno. I don't know that to be a fact but it sure seems that way.

It sucks losing these guys but, on the other hand, it may just be better for the University of Iowa that they aren't coming here because they may not have the character we're looking for.

Eno was the greatest ambassador ever for us and now he may not have the character we're looking for. Haha

Honest question I was thinking or wondering, just factual feedback if possible as it's hard for me to really have a strong opinion without knowing all facts and being privy to everything on both sides. So the "policy" does appear to be a little hypocritical on the outside looking in and could need tweaked. But at the same time, doesn't Iowa offer their Word in return on things such as if the player would get hurt his senior year before he signs we don't ditch him like some schools would? We also don't go and recruit another player we think is "better" and then take our offer back when the next best thing arrives. We don't over sign and tell kids to take a hike after a year or two in the program. In other words, it has always seemed for the most part that we shoot kids straight and keep our word when many coaches and programs (Hi Bama) could care less and run kids off later. Maybe I'm wrong on these topics, but it just seems like that has been the case for the most part. So we keep our word and have a long track record that kids and families should be able to trust?
That said, our current recruiting ranking is definitely disappointing and something needs to change. Ok that is all for my questions, shame on me for even hopping on this topic as I know I'm not the most knowledgeable on it, just thinking out loud :)

Eno was the greatest ambassador ever for us and now he may not have the character we're looking for. Haha
“Eno was unaware that his social media antics was grinding Kirk’s gears before ever stepping on campus,” Johnson-Koulianos wrote. “The captain prefers blue-collared guys who say little and work hard…Absolutely nothing wrong with seeking a particular type of player for your respective program. But Eno didn’t appear to fit that mold. The spectacle he was making reminded Kirk of guess who? Yours truly.”

https://www.landof10.com/iowa/forme...ening-decommitments-relationship-kirk-ferentz

Kirk just like em to keep their mouths shut, it appears.

“Eno was unaware that his social media antics was grinding Kirk’s gears before ever stepping on campus,” Johnson-Koulianos wrote. “The captain prefers blue-collared guys who say little and work hard…Absolutely nothing wrong with seeking a particular type of player for your respective program. But Eno didn’t appear to fit that mold. The spectacle he was making reminded Kirk of guess who? Yours truly.”

https://www.landof10.com/iowa/forme...ening-decommitments-relationship-kirk-ferentz

^^^This^^^

Kind of like a father that demands you respond to him with yes, sir or no, sir. Shut your mouth unless given permission to speak. What a great guy!

Does this mea culpa mean that Kirk can finally put DJK's bio back up on Hawkeyesports.com????

Latest posts