Gatens is a GREAT HAWK

[uote=eveningnewsteam;720290]Was he still a great hawk when he and his Dad threatened to transfer if lickliter wasn't fired? A great hawk would never do that would they? These Gatens threads are ridiculous.
Wait, now we're supposed to feel betrayed that he and his dad got the ball rolling to get rid of Lickliter? Now I'm REALLY confused...[/QUOTE]Exactly not only does that make him a great hawk but it makes him the savior of this program. We all owe Matt Gatens a big thank you.

Its what CAAR does. I have compared him to Skip Bayless in that he just takes the side of the argument that is going to irritate the most peole and goes with it.

I wish he would spend a lot more time on the CAL message board.

VERY good point, 136! From here on out, CAAR is now "Skippy" to me..."Skippy-B" maybe, since we're livin' in a hip-hop world...:D

Wait, now we're supposed to feel betrayed that he and his dad got the ball rolling to get rid of Lickliter? Now I'm REALLY confused...
Exactly not only does that make him a great hawk but it makes him the savior of this program. We all owe Matt Gatens a big thank you.[/QUOTE]

Construction has probably already begun on "The Gatens Pavilion" somewhere on campus because of it.

Define Great.

Because there are some things about Matt that are commendable, but as the supposed leader of the team he has fallen short of being the guy who can build team unity. He isn't the kind of player who can put the team on his back, and he does a lot with what he has, but is limited athletically.

I think people feel bad for the hometown kid we wished could play on a better team. But great players make teams better and they make other players want to play with them. This just has not been the case with Matt.

Also, great players don't need other great players around them to put up great numbers and to get all conference recognition. They need that for wins, but you don't see GREAT players put up average numbers just because you don't have another scorer in college basketball. Also, Matt doesn't draw double teams. Teams basically play him straight up and he puts up extremely pedestrian numbers for a guy who started for four years. He is not in the top ten in scoring, rebounding, shooting percentage, or assists.

Sorry, but there is just nothing but sentimentality that would lead anyone to consider Matt a Hawkeye Great.

He is a hometown kid that was a decent contributor during one of the worst eras of the history of the program. It is appropriate to feel bad for him. It would have been nice if he was a contributor on a much better team. But going beyond that is just hyperbole.

Well said... I don't think you are ripping on Gatens in any fashion and I know it won't be the popular response but sadly its the truth.

I do feel bad for Matt that he didn't get to play for better teams and more than anything I'm impressed with the work he put in on D to better himself. So as you said that is very commendable of him but to call him a great is over the top. I don't define him as great but I appreciate watching him as a Hawk.

He stuck it out when many left. He'll always be that woulda, coulda & shoulda Guy. What will we remember in 5yrs. and 10yrs.? Gotta respect him for it.

I have seen that crap about Matt and his dad being influential in the removal of Lick. I certainly am glad that saying something makes it true these days.

Carrhawk: Have you ever watched Iowa play basketball. Cannot tell from your posts. And, frankly sir, you are a waste of food.

I have seen that crap about Matt and his dad being influential in the removal of Lick. I certainly am glad that saying something makes it true these days.

Carrhawk: Have you ever watched Iowa play basketball. Cannot tell from your posts. And, frankly sir, you are a waste of food.

I was in the LA Sports Arena to see the Hawks beat FSU and UNLV to get to the Elite 8 in 1988. Were you alive then?

I saw most of the 2005-2006 undefeated season live at Carver.

I also saw Andre Woolridge play live at Cal.

So, I have seen GREAT Iowa Basketball, have you?

Gatens should be put on Hawkeye Rushmore along with Chris Street. He is the kind of player that I wish every current and future player would emulate. He worked hard to make himself a better player. Took care of business in the classroom and stayed out of trouble. A great representative of Hawkeye sports. I wish him the best of luck in whatever he pursues.

Define Great.

Because there are some things about Matt that are commendable, but as the supposed leader of the team he has fallen short of being the guy who can build team unity. He isn't the kind of player who can put the team on his back, and he does a lot with what he has, but is limited athletically.

I think people feel bad for the hometown kid we wished could play on a better team. But great players make teams better and they make other players want to play with them. This just has not been the case with Matt.

Also, great players don't need other great players around them to put up great numbers and to get all conference recognition. They need that for wins, but you don't see GREAT players put up average numbers just because you don't have another scorer in college basketball. Also, Matt doesn't draw double teams. Teams basically play him straight up and he puts up extremely pedestrian numbers for a guy who started for four years. He is not in the top ten in scoring, rebounding, shooting percentage, or assists.

Sorry, but there is just nothing but sentimentality that would lead anyone to consider Matt a Hawkeye Great.

He is a hometown kid that was a decent contributor during one of the worst eras of the history of the program. It is appropriate to feel bad for him. It would have been nice if he was a contributor on a much better team. But going beyond that is just hyperbole.

what a stupid tool of a post......totally dumb.

I compare Gatens to Bartles they have about the same amount of athletic talent. I like Gatens and his work ethic, but if this were a team 15 years ago he would be a role player, and probably remembered for the same charachteristics, but in a more positive light. In ten years he I will think of him the same way I think of guys like Bartels, and that isn't all that bad to me.

Yup, sure have. Let's go back to Ralph Miller, Stick, JJ, Down Town, Chad C., through the years with Lute, Raveling, Mr. Davis. Then, on to Steve and Lick. Many of those years season tickets. Born in 1945. I did watch 6 girl bb but not the center jump after every basket for the guys! Go Hawks!

Gatens should be put on Hawkeye Rushmore along with Chris Street. He is the kind of player that I wish every current and future player would emulate. He worked hard to make himself a better player. Took care of business in the classroom and stayed out of trouble. A great representative of Hawkeye sports. I wish him the best of luck in whatever he pursues.

OMG

OMG
Why are you questioning that post.

OMG
Why are you questioning that post.

Its way over the top... Gatens doesnt make the top 25 of all time hawkeye bball players let alone hawkeye rushmore.

After reviewing your post about watching all that Iowa Basketball and being born in 1945, I was intrigued. So I looked at your bio and it said you have a PH.D. and were a school Superintendent. I find this interesting because your posts don't come off as particularly academic to me. If you look at my comments, they are based on actual data.

While some see any comments I make that are not entirely positive about the program as whining, or just trying to take an alternate perspective, you will see that I refer to observable data to support my observations.

I expect the tavern hawk and undergrad crowd to come back with poorly supported emotional appeals, ad populum and ad hominem appeals, and verbal aggression such as, "you are a waste of food." But, I would expect a coherent well-supported rebuttal from someone with your credentials.

So, let me go back to my main points.
1) Matt is not in the top ten in points, rebounds, or assists.
2) Matt has not been on all-conference first, second, or third teams.
3) There have been documented personality issues within the team and program during Matt's tenure and there are just not many documented instances that indicate Matt has assumed a leadership role with respect to team morale or development of younger players. Not saying it doesn't happen, but I would expect there would be more documented instances if that was a particular strong suit.

Conclusion: The data does not indicate that Matt should be placed in the category of Hawkeye greats.

Now, do you have an actual argument with support that can address my conclusion and supporting evidence?

I have seen that crap about Matt and his dad being influential in the removal of Lick. I certainly am glad that saying something makes it true these days. Carrhawk: Have you ever watched Iowa play basketball. Cannot tell from your posts. And, frankly sir, you are a waste of food.
After reviewing your post about watching all that Iowa Basketball and being born in 1945, I was intrigued. So I looked at your bio and it said you have a PH.D. and were a school Superintendent. I find this interesting because your posts don't come off as particularly academic to me. If you look at my comments, they are based on actual data. While some see any comments I make that are not entirely positive about the program as whining, or just trying to take an alternate perspective, you will see that I refer to observable data to support my observations. I expect the tavern hawk and undergrad crowd to come back with poorly supported emotional appeals, ad populum and ad hominem appeals, and verbal aggression such as, "you are a waste of food." But, I would expect a coherent well-supported rebuttal from someone with your credentials. So, let me go back to my main points.1) Matt is not in the top ten in points, rebounds, or assists.2) Matt has not been on all-conference first, second, or third teams. 3) There have been documented personality issues within the team and program during Matt's tenure and there are just not many documented instances that indicate Matt has assumed a leadership role with respect to team morale or development of younger players. Not saying it doesn't happen, but I would expect there would be more documented instances if that was a particular strong suit.Conclusion: The data does not indicate that Matt should be placed in the category of Hawkeye greats. Now, do you have an actual argument with support that can address my conclusion and supporting evidence?

Skippy B!!

While some see any comments I make that are not entirely positive about the program as whining, or just trying to take an alternate perspective, you will see that I refer to observable data to support my observations.

I am still waiting for one of your posts about the program that is even remotely positive.

After reviewing your post about watching all that Iowa Basketball and being born in 1945, I was intrigued. So I looked at your bio and it said you have a PH.D. and were a school Superintendent. I find this interesting because your posts don't come off as particularly academic to me. If you look at my comments, they are based on actual data.

I expect the tavern hawk and undergrad crowd to come back with poorly supported emotional appeals, ad populum and ad hominem appeals, and verbal aggression such as, "you are a waste of food." But, I would expect a coherent well-supported rebuttal from someone with your credentials.

So, let me go back to my main points.
1) Matt is not in the top ten in points, rebounds, or assists.
2) Matt has not been on all-conference first, second, or third teams.
3) There have been documented personality issues within the team and program during Matt's tenure and there are just not many documented instances that indicate Matt has assumed a leadership role with respect to team morale or development of younger players. Not saying it doesn't happen, but I would expect there would be more documented instances if that was a particular strong suit.

Conclusion: The data does not indicate that Matt should be placed in the category of Hawkeye greats.

Now, do you have an actual argument with support that can address my conclusion and supporting evidence?

So now you're bent that he didn't show you the proper respect due and address you like it's a debate? Exactly what in the hell is your malfunction CAAR? No one gives a rip about your factual data...they give a rip about you being so negative all of the time...I'm sure there's data out there that says M.J. or Ali aren't the greatest of all time in there sports, but no one wants go over your data with you...Saying Gatens is a great Hawkeye doesn't need to be backed up with facts.

Last edited:

Latest posts