Garza's Scoring Projected...

Fryowa

Administrator
Started thinking this morning what most of us know, that if there aren't any major disruptions and if Garza stays healthy all year he will be the Hawks' new all-time scoring leader.

So I took a look at the schedule and did some napkin math as to when he'd break the record and how much margin there would be.

The biggest assumption you need to make when trying to do this is to decide where the player's PPG will end up. Garza was at 23.9 last year, this year due to teams playing him harder, tough schedule, and for sake of being conservative, I'm going to go with 20 PPG. Most of us think it could be higher, but I think 20 is a realistic number...anything above that is gravy for these calculations.

Hawks have 24 regular season games left...

Below are the top 10 all-time scorers and their point totals. Column D is how far ahead or behind Garza they are, and Column E is the rough number of games it will take Garza to pass that player assuming an average of 20 PPG. Going by this, it looks like around the Maryland/Minnesota game he should pass White, and if he does average 20 a game he'll have a good cushion down the stretch (assuming there are tournament games too).

We have to assume the Hawks will make the tourney, and for these purposes I'm going to conservatively say we win 2 games (27 games total played). Garza would need to average 16.9 PPG to pass Marble under that scenario. I definitely think that's doable assuming he's in good health and no covid disruptions.

Capture.jpg

Capture.jpg

I just read that Garza's per 40 minute averages so far this season are 52.3 pts and 14.9 rbs a game. The scoring number is insane.

These three teams we played are about as trash as you can get in D1 ball. Next Tuesday is going to tell everyone a whole lot.
Damn, that's harsh. If you are going to schedule a game against a team from the SWAC or MEAC playing NC Central and Southern are not bad choices. I know I'm picking nits here but they are a smudge better than a MD-Eastern Shore, I guess I'm saying it could have been trashier. Western Illinois, yeah, they are gonna be bad. But Jeter is going to be a decent coach for them.

But, you are right, not much to learn from them and we will find out more next Tuesday.

Damn, that's harsh. If you are going to schedule a game against a team from the SWAC or MEAC playing NC Central and Southern are not bad choices. I know I'm picking nits here but they are a smudge better than a MD-Eastern Shore, I guess I'm saying it could have been trashier. Western Illinois, yeah, they are gonna be bad. But Jeter is going to be a decent coach for them.

But, you are right, not much to learn from them and we will find out more next Tuesday.
Those three teams are ranked 260th, 298th, and 327th in Sagarin, to me the difference between that and 357th (last) is purely semantic.

Those three teams are ranked 260th, 298th, and 327th in Sagarin, to me the difference between that and 357th (last) is purely semantic.
Sagarin ratings are worthless right now. But like I said I'm picking nits.

I just read that Garza's per 40 minute averages so far this season are 52.3 pts and 14.9 rbs a game. The scoring number is insane.
That's stupid.... I think I read a quote from other teams coach last night saying I'm paraphrasing you can watch all the tape on Garza you want but it's just different once you're on the floor with him. It just is though. If he's making his FTs and jump shots you just have no chance...

That's stupid.... I think I read a quote from other teams coach last night saying I'm paraphrasing you can watch all the tape on Garza you want but it's just different once you're on the floor with him. It just is though. If he's making his FTs and jump shots you just have no chance...
When you have to worry about the other team's center setting a pick 5 feet past the arc, then peeling off and draining a three you're completely fucked.

My son just turned 14 and Garza is his hero. He jumps off the couch giggling hysterically any time Luka hits a trey like that because he knows it violates the physics laws of basketball.

Also, Garza isn't in the top 10 in rebounds right now, but Brunner has the record at 990.

Luka would need 302 to break the record and he had 305 last year.

Gonna be hard because the offense isn't going to miss that many shots all year and the defense will block so many there just won't be a lot of opportunity. Given the leads that we will have, most of the opposition's misses will be contested 3 pointers and those have longer rebounds, so Garza won't be in a position to get many because he is going to be loitering in the paint to take away every shot from inside 12 feet like Acie Earl used to.

Bingo.

I think this is one of the great Hawkeye teams in history, but my point was I don't think we can learn even a single thing from either of these three games other than Bohannon should spend less time producing Fortnite videos for his YouTube channel :)
That's kind of why I have been blasting some of these posters lol. If you think we are bad after watching these 3 games then I have NO idea what games they're watching. Iowa has been dominate and impressive...but they played 3 tin cans - who knows yet? Ya can't really say one way or the other decisively at this point but it's tough to look much better than what Iowa has done so far. If you're disappointed in 3 absolute dominate performances (41, 27 and 30 pt margin wins) from your favorite team you might need to adjust your expectations. This isn't football, they aren't gonna hold teams scoreless. They are playing different line ups and younger guys a TON right now.

who walks away from a team that's average margin of victory right now is 32 points and says "man these guys don't look very good" ... no one, that's who, or cyclone fans that are pissy because they lost to South Dakota State lol

When you have to worry about the other team's center setting a pick 5 feet past the arc, then peeling off and draining a three you're completely fucked.

My son just turned 14 and Garza is his hero. He jumps off the couch giggling hysterically any time Luka hits a trey like that because he knows it violates the physics laws of basketball.
That's awesome. I was about that age when Guy Rucker was at Iowa and his freshman yr he was hitting midrange jumpers setup by Woolridge and that was considered semi unstoppable at the time. Their two man game had me all fired up. I'm sure your boy isn't the only one infatuated with Garza we all are. Let's enjoy it these things don't last nearly long enough

Gonna be hard because the offense isn't going to miss that many shots all year and the defense will block so many there just won't be a lot of opportunity. Given the leads that we will have, most of the opposition's misses will be contested 3 pointers and those have longer rebounds, so Garza won't be in a position to get many because he is going to be loitering in the paint to take away every shot from inside 12 feet like Acie Earl used to.
He can finish 2nd 3rd or 5th in rebounding and he'll still go down as the #1 Hawk pretty much when it's all said and done. I mean if he avgs 22-25 maybe more for the season he'll pass Marble I think won't he? So long as we don't have a ton of games canceled. All he has to do is do what he do. And win... If we make a run in the tournys that'll really cement his legacy

I mean if he avgs 22-25 maybe more for the season he'll pass Marble I think won't he? So long as we don't have a ton of games canceled.
Check out the first post...

If we play all 24 regular season games and assuming we win 2 tournament games (so play in 3), he'd need 16.9 PPG to beat Marble.

If he averaged 20 over the full season with no hiccups he'd cruise by Marble.

Check out the first post...

If we play all 24 regular season games and assuming we win 2 tournament games (so play in 3), he'd need 16.9 PPG to beat Marble.

If he averaged 20 over the full season with no hiccups he'd cruise by Marble.
So yeah he'll do it by midseason just about at this rate. Granted he's not going to maintain 30 plus I don't think but 24-25 almost feels like lowballing him. Fran is going to feed that dude as much as he can handle. So long as he stays out of foul trouble (which he's never really had a problem doing maybe just a couple games?) and doesn't get hurt he's going to get his he just is.

Granted he's not going to maintain 30 plus I don't think but 24-25 almost feels like lowballing him. Fran is going to feed that dude as much as he can handle.
He had just under 24 last year; I think that pace would be hard to maintain with as much attention as he'll get (even though he got tripled last year too). I think teams are going to throw the kitchen sink at him until some other Hawks prove that they're dangerous.

He had just under 24 last year; I think that pace would be hard to maintain with as much attention as he'll get (even though he got tripled last year too). I think teams are going to throw the kitchen sink at him until some other Hawks prove that they're dangerous.
Yeah and I hope our guys are up to it. I think CJF is JW seems a tad inconsistent still. (with the position he plays we'll need his rebounding and defense more then scoring I think) And of course JBo. If he can't find the range of a couple yrs ago we'll be seeing more JT which could be great or could be not so great with a lot of inbetween.

That leads us to CM if he can knock down the open shots he'll most certainly get to me that makes us ridiculously tough. I could see him have some big games due to the other teams daring him like they did at times last yr. He and PM are huge X factors to this group. They'll both play big mins

Hey don’t t be putting Jewish people down like that! (I kid, I kid, I know it is spelt differently) Lol

Latest posts