Garza with an extended offseason

The rebounding issue was a huge problem this last season. Our box out technique was terrible and it seemed many of the guys were flat footed.
I like this first point you made. A lot of folks speculated that because we were playing small we struggled on the defensive boards, and I’m sure that was part of the issue. But the bigger issue to me (as you point out) is that Iowa players rarely box out and do it with poor technique. That is something, along with defense that should really be stressed this offseason. I mean these players need to understand that if they can figure out how to play just average defense and box out they are a legit top 10 team in the country.

The rebounding issue was a huge problem this last season. Our box out technique was terrible and it seemed many of the guys were flat footed. If you go back and watch the games you will be maddened by the amount of times our guys got their hands on the ball only to have it taken away or were so poorly out of position it wasn't even a contest. If we can get a role player that can give us 20+ minutes a game and come up with double digit rebounds and get to the free throw line it could be the one key piece this team is missing to make them a top 10 team. If the rebounding continues like this last year it could be a disappointing season.

This team does not need anymore scorers, they need a gritty guy that will do the dirty work and invoke some emotion when the going gets tough. Is Nunge that guy? Will Pemsl be that guy if he can get healthy? Maybe one of the new recruits, but in my opinion that is really the only hole in the roster right now if all guys come back.

Part of the defensive rebounding issues were that we played mostly zone defense and teams that play zone do end up giving up more offensive rebounds. That being said, earlier in the year we didn't see teams getting tons of offensive rebounds. So that leads me to think that playing with an 8 man rotation had started to wear on them both physically and mentally the last few games.

My hope is that with more bodies the physical toll of the season won't be as noticeable overall for the team next year.

Back to the topic of Garza. I do think that if we have a healthy JBo and CJ and improved shooting from Connor, that we will see both Garza and Wieskamp have very good years. My personal opinion is that if teams can't double Garza every play because the other 4 players on the floor are going to make an open 3, then Garza will have a higher shooting percentage because he can score consistently against any defender trying to guard him 1 on 1 in the post. So he may actually get fewer shots but score as many if not more points.

I like this first point you made. A lot of folks speculated that because we were playing small we struggled on the defensive boards, and I’m sure that was part of the issue. But the bigger issue to me (as you point out) is that Iowa players rarely box out and do it with poor technique. That is something, along with defense that should really be stressed this offseason. I mean these players need to understand that if they can figure out how to play just average defense and box out they are a legit top 10 team in the country.

Agreed. Although defense was improved this year, I contribute some of that to Fran just committing to playing zone consistently. Top 40 or 50 defensive efficiency along with limiting offensive rebounds, will truly make Iowa a potential Big 10 title contender.

Maybe it's just the no sports for the foreseeable future, but I think if Iowa can improve on defense and get more consistent play from someone other than Garza, that this Iowa team has a chance to compete for Elite 8 or Final 4 next year. This year I felt like they had a good chance at a sweet 16. But next year if everyone is back and healthy it's tough to not see higher expectations.

It's my rule that college guys should do what's best for them when it's time to decide whether to go pro. There is always as exception to a rule.

Kareem's sky hook was impossible to defend. Brilliant idea by team Garza to add another weapon to the arsenal in the off season.

Why more bigs haven't tried to get good at that is beyond me. Once you know how to get it off it's unguardable. Granted it's not easy to do either I'm not suggesting that. And with how some folks aren't very good at FTs maybe it shouldn't surprise me at all. But if you put the work in you can get good at both of those things.

Latest posts