Garza with an extended offseason

NikeHawk21

Is this even fair to the competition? It looks like Garza is back home with his dad already doing multiple training sessions a day. Is he set to make another big jump next year?

Given the current situation I was wondering about that. The grind he puts in during the off season is what makes him so good. Obviously, there's no lifting rocks in Eastern Europe or whatever he was doing this year, so that is great to see whether if he is coming back or not.

Looks like to me that the goal here is to turn Luka's game into a more Dirk Novitski type. And really, why not? He has the size, the reach, and with a more dependable shot as well as he moves on the low block, he could be truly unguardable at any level.

Thank you Frank and Luka. In an otherwise dismal month for sports this is a bright spot for all Hawk fans. Much appreciated.

Kareem's sky hook was impossible to defend. Brilliant idea by team Garza to add another weapon to the arsenal in the off season.

Kareem's sky hook was impossible to defend. Brilliant idea by team Garza to add another weapon to the arsenal in the off season.

According to Kriener, he’s had this move he just hasn’t busted it out in games yet. Maybe it will be ready by next season.

Luka's garbage. He's limited on offense. Really only plays the 4 or 5. Never guards the opposing point guard. Rarely brings the ball down the court. Looks terrible in a cheerleader outfit (I'm just guessing). Doesn't throw the ball in bounds, so he really needs to work on that. Heck, he even had one game this calendar year where he didn't even make it to 20 points. For our home game where we were seeking revenge against Nebraska, where was he in the last 8 minutes of the game? ON THE BENCH! (don't give me that bull crap about being up by 35).

It's clear he needs to come back for another year. Lots of work to do.

Wow is all I can say. He is once again going to take a huge leap in the off season. He is becoming so much more athletic and fluid he is going to be the most dominant player in the country hands down.

I think there is little doubt he is coming back next year to take care of unfinished business. And there is little doubt he will follow that up with a long NBA career.

I'd love to see Josh Ogundele come down from where hes going to school and get some tutoring from Frank & Luka. He could learn from that experience.

Simply my $.02 .. ..

I'd love to see Josh Ogundele come down from where hes going to school and get some tutoring from Frank & Luka. He could learn from that experience.

Simply my $.02 .. ..

Could we seriously just hire Frank as a coach?

If Luka can improve his perimeter game and ball handling then he will be much harder to double team on thus get far more less contested attempts. But he does tend to get a lot of his points by bullying opponents on the offensive glass. If that sky hook is legit, then that is another way to be almost unguardable.

Garza is going to get 20-25 shots a game, so it just depends on what shots he wants to take. Is a 15 foot hook shot at 50 percent accuracy as good as a 3 point shot at 40? Or a low post move at 60?

Problem is that while he can stroke the 3, if he is out on the perimeter who rebounds? And what about the other 35-40 shots per game? Who takes those and what kind of percentage do they shoot? Let's all hope that the other players, notably Wieskamp, will work just as hard this off season to develop counter measures to the defense.

The rebounding issue was a huge problem this last season. Our box out technique was terrible and it seemed many of the guys were flat footed. If you go back and watch the games you will be maddened by the amount of times our guys got their hands on the ball only to have it taken away or were so poorly out of position it wasn't even a contest. If we can get a role player that can give us 20+ minutes a game and come up with double digit rebounds and get to the free throw line it could be the one key piece this team is missing to make them a top 10 team. If the rebounding continues like this last year it could be a disappointing season.

This team does not need anymore scorers, they need a gritty guy that will do the dirty work and invoke some emotion when the going gets tough. Is Nunge that guy? Will Pemsl be that guy if he can get healthy? Maybe one of the new recruits, but in my opinion that is really the only hole in the roster right now if all guys come back.

Garza is going to get 20-25 shots a game, so it just depends on what shots he wants to take. Is a 15 foot hook shot at 50 percent accuracy as good as a 3 point shot at 40? Or a low post move at 60?

Problem is that while he can stroke the 3, if he is out on the perimeter who rebounds? And what about the other 35-40 shots per game? Who takes those and what kind of percentage do they shoot? Let's all hope that the other players, notably Wieskamp, will work just as hard this off season to develop counter measures to the defense.
Garza shot 35.8% from 3 which would be 1.074 points per possession, which would be good for 22nd in the country. Also when he’s on the perimeter he drags the opponents big man, likely best rebounder and best rim protector out there, which opens up space for others. I’m not saying I want him out on the perimeter a ton, but there are times when he steps out there that it’s huge for Iowa and can be very good offense. See end of game at Minnesota or end of game at Carver Vs Illinois.

Also, Iowa was 5th in offensive efficiency according to KenPom and we get JBo back. I wouldn’t worry about scoring at all. Defense is the concern.

Latest posts