Garza Will Test NBA Waters, Leave Door Open for Iowa Return

This is a good decision by Luka, if he's a first round pick then he should be gone. But if teams are telling him that he's a second round pick then he should be back at Iowa.

If Luka's goal is the NBA, I can't imagine why he wouldn't go this year. He's coming off an incredible college year that would be almost impossible to top. His footwork, 3 pt shot, body build, and overall skill level is not likely to noticeably improve over the next 12 months, no matter what counsel he receives from The League. He's proven everything possible at the college level. The NBA has a preference of drafting younger players, and 12 months from now Luka will be basically the same player with the same talents, just 1 year older. I hope like heck he comes back, but if I were advising him it would be hard to build a case to do so.
On the other hand, Wieskamp has every reason to return to Iowa for another season, IMO.
He needs to improve mightily in pick and roll defense. If you can’t defend pick and roll in the NBA you can’t play. That’s something he can show at the college level next year while dominating on offense like this year again.

He's going to depend on the feedback he receives. If a team tells him it will take him in the first round, he goes. I don't think that's likely but it's possible. I like the chances that he comes back. I also think Wieskamp will announce he's going to go through the process. And, like Luka, he should do it. The feedback is free and valuable.
In a typical year yes I think Wieskamp would have and maybe even a guy like CJF would have gone through the process.

This year, I’m not entirely sure how valuable announcing really is.

First-round picks contracts are slotted and guaranteed. If you're told you're a first-rounder, you come out.
By "you come out", that means that's the accepted practice, not any type of requirement, correct? If he's the last guy in round 1, and he thinks he can do better the next year - higher pick/more money - he can come back to try to improve his draft position, correct? Because I can see some team late in the first round grabbing him, but I think he'll be even better next year and can be a top 15 guy. That's a big bump in money. However, hard to fault any kid who wants to grab a 7 figure salary right out of college.

By "you come out", that means that's the accepted practice, not any type of requirement, correct? If he's the last guy in round 1, and he thinks he can do better the next year - higher pick/more money - he can come back to try to improve his draft position, correct? Because I can see some team late in the first round grabbing him, but I think he'll be even better next year and can be a top 15 guy. That's a big bump in money. However, hard to fault any kid who wants to grab a 7 figure salary right out of college.
He's currently ranked 90th and is not in any mock NBA drafts through the first two rounds. You think he's going to suddenly become a 1st round pick and Top 15 next year? What is going to drive that difference between this year and next year?

Garza will not be a 1st rd kid this year or next year. He will be 22 end of this year...He's not that athletic..isn't a rim protector..etc. He's a tremendous college player who works his butt off.

Niang was a tremendous college player who was just never gonna be a 1st rd pick..Just using him as an example of slower white guys..haha.

If Luka is truly looking for a written guarantee to be on a NBA roster this year then he will 100% return bc that never happens..with any player. But I don't think that is what Luka said..What he said was he wasn't interested in G league without a guaranteed contract. You can be drafted in 2nd rd or go undrafted and be guaranteed a contract.

As a fan I hope he comes back...As a realist with this draft being arguable the weakest draft in over a decade I don't see how playing another year at Iowa improves his end goal of "Playing in the NBA". If anything another year he's older and could get hurt too.

He's currently ranked 90th and is not in any mock NBA drafts through the first two rounds. You think he's going to suddenly become a 1st round pick and Top 15 next year? What is going to drive that difference between this year and next year?
He'll get better, that's what.

If Luka's goal is the NBA, I can't imagine why he wouldn't go this year. He's coming off an incredible college year that would be almost impossible to top. His footwork, 3 pt shot, body build, and overall skill level is not likely to noticeably improve over the next 12 months, no matter what counsel he receives from The League. He's proven everything possible at the college level. The NBA has a preference of drafting younger players, and 12 months from now Luka will be basically the same player with the same talents, just 1 year older. I hope like heck he comes back, but if I were advising him it would be hard to build a case to do so.
On the other hand, Wieskamp has every reason to return to Iowa for another season, IMO.
Luka would be coming back to probably the deepest Iowa team in decades. The team even has a quick PG! And lots of the artillery, which wasn't even on the court much last year will be back, hopefully. In terms of the NBA, Luka has really made a jump that no one thought was possible in one year, on an Iowa team, no less. I see him as a Jack Sikma type. I think two issues are relevant: He isn't highly athletic. I don't see a huge amount of upside potential from where he is. I think coming back makes sense more than leaving. He could be part of a historical season. How much $$$ is that worth? He will have to decide. Two cents.

I'm a huge fan of Luka's, but I don't see him being drafted this year or next. He's a great college player, but I see him as an Adam Morrison or Jimmer Ferdette type where they absolutely dominated but didn't have the right attributes to do more than sniff the next level. The NBA isn't the center dominant game that it once was and I don't think Luka has the athleticism to get him a roster spot at the next level. I think your right that there's "very little he could do to noticeably improve over the next 12 months" but he's not getting much predraft attention now so I'm not sure it really makes a difference.

My opinion, which is absolutely meaningless. Go back to school. Have an amazing Senior year surrounded by the players, coaches, and fans you love and then see where things go from there. There's no shame in playing in oversees if it doesn't work out, but I'm not sure thats worth leaving college early for.

Predictable and smart. There's no downside whatsoever for both Luka and Joe W to go through the process.

Both great Hawkeyes, but, keeping it real, neither likely will have a sustained NBA career. That doesn't mean they couldn't make a very good living out of basketball, but the NBA right now is a different beast. You better be highly skilled and highly athletic to stand a chance, and, even then, players need a few things to fall their way. Making a roster is a tough mountain to climb.

I could see some team taking a flyer on Luka in the 2nd round just based upon his skillset and work ethic, but I'd be shocked to see a team use a 1st-rounder on him. Could it happen? Sure, but it's very unlikely now that the NBA is a world-wide talent pool.

Yep. And one I feel comfortable with making.

Of course there could be a rare exception, but the last pick of the first round last year made a guaranteed $1.2M.

The problem is, how many are told they are first rounders compared to how many spots there are? If a player with an extraordinary work ethic is picked as a late first rounder, but feels like he can improve a lot in a year, it's far from a no brainer to come back. I just don't like the idea of saying so strongly there is only one choice. I know you're not technically calling him dumb if he decides he wants to do the opposite of your "has to do it" opinion, but it's basically the same thing when you're that stern. Maybe you're just saying that to prepare fans for if he decides to leave. If that's the case I get it. But if not, you're pretty much saying everyone has to have the same priorities in life.

Last edited:

Latest posts