Garza Pushing

I loved Boyle's defense and intensity, lack of a quality jump shot kept him out of the league. I get the similarities people are drawing between him and Garza. I do believe people are really underestimating Garza's athletism. He just needs a little more strength, but man I've seen him do some very nice things last year. One play in particular, he was running at full speed caught the ball and in one motion gathered and dunked in a smooth finish. There are not many true 7 footers around that could have made that catch and move. To those who think he shoots too much, would you rather he be a timid passer or an aggressive offensive player. I think he and Cook are gonna be showing some real creativity in the passing game now that they have had some time to learn each others game. Garza is one of the main reasons I'm still watching Iowa basketball.

I loved Boyle's defense and intensity, lack of a quality jump shot kept him out of the league. I get the similarities people are drawing between him and Garza. I do believe people are really underestimating Garza's athletism. He just needs a little more strength, but man I've seen him do some very nice things last year. One play in particular, he was running at full speed caught the ball and in one motion gathered and dunked in a smooth finish. There are not many true 7 footers around that could have made that catch and move. To those who think he shoots too much, would you rather he be a timid passer or an aggressive offensive player. I think he and Cook are gonna be showing some real creativity in the passing game now that they have had some time to learn each others game. Garza is one of the main reasons I'm still watching Iowa basketball.
Yeah I bet it's fair to say that Garza benefits the most from Cook coming back as far as their games go. I don't think Garza shoots too much at all. I love his aggressiveness and someone needs to be drawing fouls on the other team besides Cook.

If Garza can shoot 40% from three...it's huge. He pulls a big away from the basket, which opens the floor to penetration for the other 4 guys. It also assists in allowing us to get on the offensive glass. Finding a big that can consistently hit from three is way underrated in many facets. He just needs to be more physical and put a body on someone on the defensive glass. The guy is a competitor and you know he will do everything in his power to win...if they all play like Luka...we have tourney team.

More on Kevin Boyle vs Kenyon Murray.

Boyle scored 1,189 career points (10.1 ppg)
Murray scored 1,230 career points (9.9 ppg)

Boyle had 58 steals in his best year (1.8 spg in 1980)
Murray also had 58 in his best year (1.7 spg in 1995)

Boyle played 118 career games, Murray 124.

Boyle's scoring averages, from best to worst, were 11.9, 11.8, 9.9, and 6.5 ( They steadily declined all four years.)

Murray's scoring averages, from best to worst, were 12.3, 11.5, 9.5, and 6.7 (They fluctuated somewhat but generally declined during his four years.)

Both were known for their defense.

Both were not the best free throw shooters, especially Murray.

Both had consistent rebound numbers, although Boyle's steadily declined during his career.

Interesting comparison. Both of these guys also meant a lot to their teams outside of the stats. Hustle, leadership, quality young men.

Last edited:
Would that be the same Frosty Mitchell who, interviewing then Gov. Robert Ray and his family live during the girl’s basketball tournament, said: “Here we are now with Governor Ray’s 14-year-old daughter Randi. Randi, how old are you?”?
Its not too hard to imagine how he might have gotten the nickname "Frosty". And it probably wasn't because he liked children's Christmas specials. Girls state tournament week on top of it?

Former KWWL sports anchor Bob Healey, who broadcast Iowa basketball in the eighties, didn't shy away from taking detours into downtown Iowa City's gin mills after games. Hell, he may have stayed overnight for all I know. He was widely suspected of chasing a skirt or two as well.

I like that fact that he hates losing, that’s a good strait to have.

I’m okay with him increasing the amount of 3s he shoots this year, but I still think his bread and butter is inside and getting putbacks.

Quite honestly I still think he has a ways to go to figure out what is a good shot and what is a bad shot. Last year at times it felt like it went up almost everytime he touched it. There are a lot of options on this team so the goal is to get as many good shots as we can as a group.

I believe that with improved footwork and a somewhat slower pace in the paint would help Luka quite a bit. He was too unsettled in the paint last season, moving too quickly and taking an unbalanced shot a lot of the time. Last years experience and dedicated practice this Summer should go a long way to preparing Luka to have an improved second season. Don't believe he will have the dreaded Sophomore Slump.....

:cool:

Garza will shoot a ton of free throws this year too. I hope he can hit 75% or better from the line. I'm not sure what he ended up doing last yr but he's capable of that or better.

Their won't be a sophomore slump with him. He's too skilled and working too hard. He's capable of shooting the 40% from 3. With a stronger start to the season compared to how he started last yr and he can be in line for a big year. Playing with Cook again will only open the floor for both of them to do their thing.
Yes and Connor shooting 3's with Jbo long way from basket.Sounds like a doable.

I gave up on football when ferentz shook up the football staff to make room for his kid. They had a couple of dismal seasons following that.

I gave up on football when ferentz shook up the football staff to make room for his kid. They had a couple of dismal seasons following that.

What do you mean you gave up on football at that point?
1. Do you mean you stopped following it?

2. Do you mean you gave up on ever thinking Iowa will be great as long as Barta and KF gang are in charge?

3. Do you mean you gave up on wasting hours and hours of personal time watching and following a average football program, and that you would rather spend it in more worth while activities with family and friends?

4. Do you mean you feel it hopeless to follow a team where the fan base is fickle towards expecting better than seven or eight wins a year, year after year, after year, after year?

5. Do you mean you give up on being identified or associated with fans from item 4 above?

6. None of the above?

7. All of the above except number 6?

8. A combination of some of the above? If so which ones?

Look I know you care. The problem is you probably care too much or else you wouldn’t be on here posting. Believe me I am as frustrated as you and a few others on here.