Garza Pushing

Their won't be a sophomore slump with him. He's too skilled and working too hard. He's capable of shooting the 40% from 3. With a stronger start to the season compared to how he started last yr and he can be in line for a big year. Playing with Cook again will only open the floor for both of them to do their thing.

I like that fact that he hates losing, that’s a good strait to have.

I’m okay with him increasing the amount of 3s he shoots this year, but I still think his bread and butter is inside and getting putbacks.

Quite honestly I still think he has a ways to go to figure out what is a good shot and what is a bad shot. Last year at times it felt like it went up almost everytime he touched it. There are a lot of options on this team so the goal is to get as many good shots as we can as a group.

I’m okay with him increasing the amount of 3s he shoots this year, but I still think his bread and butter is inside and getting putbacks.

Quite honestly I still think he has a ways to go to figure out what is a good shot and what is a bad shot. Last year at times it felt like it went up almost everytime he touched it. There are a lot of options on this team so the goal is to get as many good shots as we can as a group.

It's a good point. The more talent you acquire the more an individual's shot selection becomes a factor.

Reminds me some of Kevin Boyle in hustling hard with limited natural athleticism and skill set. This team could use Kevin Boyle. Should work well.

Lute Olsen is that you? Totally agree with your comment.

Reminds me some of Kevin Boyle in hustling hard with limited natural athleticism and skill set. This team could use Kevin Boyle. Should work well.

I would agree with the hustle part of your comparison but Boyle was not a three point shooter. I would agree that Kevin would be a great addition. What? A guy that plays defense?

Boyle was a better athlete than you remember. He could throw it down if he got loose on the break. He was also an excellent offensive rebounder. And obviously he hustled as you pointed out. He played small forward back when the position still existed and often guarded a bigger player and did a lot of his offensive work from the baseline. If he would have been a little more explosive he would have been Kenyon Murray, who was also known for his defense and who's offensive role steadily diminished over his four years-like Boyle's. He was never the same player after being held scoreless, mostly by Derek Smith, against Louisville in the fateful 1980 national semi final game.

More on Kevin Boyle vs Kenyon Murray.

Boyle scored 1,189 career points (10.1 ppg)
Murray scored 1,230 career points (9.9 ppg)

Boyle had 58 steals in his best year (1.8 spg in 1980)
Murray also had 58 in his best year (1.7 spg in 1995)

Boyle played 118 career games, Murray 124.

Boyle's scoring averages, from best to worst, were 11.9, 11.8, 9.9, and 6.5 ( They steadily declined all four years.)

Murray's scoring averages, from best to worst, were 12.3, 11.5, 9.5, and 6.7 (They fluctuated somewhat but generally declined during his four years.)

Both were known for their defense.

Both were not the best free throw shooters, especially Murray.

Both had consistent rebound numbers, although Boyle's steadily declined during his career.

Boyle was a better athlete than you remember. He could throw it down if he got loose on the break. He was also an excellent offensive rebounder. And obviously he hustled as you pointed out. He played small forward back when the position still existed and often guarded a bigger player and did a lot of his offensive work from the baseline. If he would have been a little more explosive he would have been Kenyon Murray, who was also known for his defense and who's offensive role steadily diminished over his four years-like Boyle's. He was never the same player after being held scoreless, mostly by Derek Smith, against Louisville in the fateful 1980 national semi final game.

He had a lot of grit. Garza, slow as he is shows grit. that's what reminds me. Boyle had the uglies shot, but loved the baseline pull ups.

He had a lot of grit. Garza, slow as he is shows grit. that's what reminds me. Boyle had the uglies shot, but loved the baseline pull ups.
Ron Gonder, and possibly Jim Zabel used to call that right baseline "Boyle Country".

12-15' shot, sometimes behind the plane of the backboard. A shot seldom found in anyone's arsenal anymore.

I met Ron Gonder at a golf outing in the late 1990's. Great guy and awesome stories. Love his "Footprints" segments on WMT radio.

Ron Gonder, and possibly Jim Zabel used to call that right baseline "Boyle Country".

12-15' shot, sometimes behind the plane of the backboard. A shot seldom found in anyone's arsenal anymore.

I met Ron Gonder at a golf outing in the late 1990's. Great guy and awesome stories. Love his "Footprints" segments on WMT radio.

I try teaching baseline moves and today's players act like it's an underhand free throw.

Louisville was one of the few teams that actually handled Boyle pretty well. Losing Lester was pivotal on that. Same concern with Garza. If he can be focused on, he will be easy to shut down. With a balanced pt guard, Garza will be terrific. Cook helps as does JBo shooting and passing, but the Hawks need that penetration.

Actually had an unplanned lunch once with Wayne Laravee. He was very cordial. Struck me a bit on the shy side.

I try teaching baseline moves and today's players act like it's an underhand free throw.

Louisville was one of the few teams that actually handled Boyle pretty well. Losing Lester was pivotal on that. Same concern with Garza. If he can be focused on, he will be easy to shut down. With a balanced pt guard, Garza will be terrific. Cook helps as does JBo shooting and passing, but the Hawks need that penetration.

Actually had an unplanned lunch once with Wayne Laravee. He was very cordial. Struck me a bit on the shy side.

Garza will continue to get better. Weight room, weight room, weight room. If Garza and Nunge progress in the weight room and start playing more physical and with attitude on the defensive end...we have a shot to be very good. Couple that with Cook knowing he needs to get better defensively (he's already physical as hell), plus rebound better based on feedback from the NBA folks...and we will really be much improved defensively. It's the physicality down low that has been missing the past few years...we were soft last year...period. The other obvious weakness was quicker guards beating us off the dribble every time they wanted. That needs to stop.

I'm not worried about Iowa offensively in the least. You have almost all your production back, and you add another bonafide shooter in Weiskamp. Baer also had a subpar year last year and I expect him bounce back and play more consistently. You have Bohannon, Moss, Cook, and Garza that are proven scorers, and another wildcard is Dailey. If he continues to make strides, he has huge upside. He's long, athletic and can shoot. In my opinion, you have to figure out a way to get a big backcourt duo going. If you want to play your small quick point guard against Iowa..let's see how he does in the post with Moss or Dailey...provided Dailey could handle the point duties. Interesting thought.

I always loved the name Ron Gonder. Never met the guy. Don’t know him. Just liked the way that name rolls off the tongue.

I am glad he realizes he has to get better at hedging screens. He is limited athletically, so he will get caught in no man's land from time to time no matter how much rope he is jumping. As he stated in the piece, if he can just be a little quicker getting to a spot it would help a lot. I believe he can get to where Woodbury was defensively.

He may never be the best player in the iowa program, but at some point, before his career is over, he will definitely be one of the leaders. He appears to be an alpha, which this team desparately needs, in a perfect world you would want it to be your best player, but that's not always not the case.

Last edited:

He may figure out shot selection, he may not. I rather have him want the basketball and not afraid to shoot than vice versa.

Last edited:

The trick is to have Rick Barry work with them on free throws.

Then teaching the baseline moves will be a piece of cake. Hell, Rick was good at those, too. When people had to respect his outside shot, it opened up driving lanes.

Especially with Cook on the team again this coming year I'd like to see Garza improve his perimeter shooting and passing. If he can draw a big man out of the lane to respect his 3 point shot it should open the lane for Cook to do Cook-like things.

Garza's post game still needs work and his jumping ability isnt really there, but if he can shoot 37% or more from 3 he could have a Kaminsky streak to him as he develops over 4 years.