Garza Great no one else above bad

longtimer

Rarely do you see a team with such a great effort from one player with absolutely no one else playing even mediocre basketball. Of course you expect Till to be over matched and he was just horrible but MCaffrey and Weiskamp were both bad Toussaint was a total wreck and Evelyn is just plain bad.
This was a winnable game Indiana is not good.
Minnesota is a better team.

Rarely do you see a team with such a great effort from one player with absolutely no one else playing even mediocre basketball. Of course you expect Till to be over matched and he was just horrible but MCaffrey and Weiskamp were both bad Toussaint was a total wreck and Evelyn is just plain bad.
Pat, Nunge, J-Bo, CJF, Pemsl all out probably contributes to that. If you think the other players aren't giving effort I don't know what games you're watching.

Wieskamp isn't "bad", although I would like to see him "assert" himself into the offense more often, because now it's down to him and Garza. McCaffrey isn't "bad" - he's not going to give Iowa points, but he adds value to the team. Joe T hasn't progressed as I thought he might, he seems to be making the same mistakes now that he did at the start; maybe he's hit the freshman "wall". Evelyn isn't the player maybe some of us thought he would be, but it was apparent early on that his role would be limited, and it was more hopeful than not that a veteran player would suddenly emerge as a threat. Losing Bohannon, Nunge and now what appears to be Fredrick for at least a few games is hard to overcome. I didn't like the effort in the first half, I thought they allowed Indiana to dictate the game and they didn't respond. The second half was better, but in the end too tall of a mountain to climb with limited resources.

Minnesota is now another team in a "must win" situation. Of course they are, they're about to play Iowa. The Hawks are going to have to hit the ground running and not stop, because Minny won't.

Last edited:
Iowa is ranked # 21 - has won 7 out of their last 10 and 30 minutes go (so after last nights loss to IU) Lunardi had them a 6 seed. I agree with every single person that Iowa is going to limp to the finish line and it's not looking good, but have some perspective with this season. It's hard after a loss and even more so when you look at ALL the injuries we have. We have one of the best 1-2 combo's in the nation. We've lost every single weapon around them for the most part. Just get to the dance.

The OP is more or less correct in terms of last night's game. Wieskamp is an excellent bball player but did not have a very good game last night. We needed someone to step up and he finished with a very mediocre 16 points. That was the kind of night when you need your #2 guy to get 25-30 and play excellent D. Did not happen, hence the negative judgment.
McCaffery is a glue player. When the weapons aren't there his value drops. The rest of the team was pretty terrible.

Iowa is ranked # 21 - has won 7 out of their last 10 and 30 minutes go (so after last nights loss to IU) Lunardi had them a 6 seed. I agree with every single person that Iowa is going to limp to the finish line and it's not looking good, but have some perspective with this season. It's hard after a loss and even more so when you look at ALL the injuries we have. We have one of the best 1-2 combo's in the nation. We've lost every single weapon around them for the most part. Just get to the dance.
I agree. When we look back on this season as a whole if we can make the dance that should be considered a success.

I wasn’t super mad about the game last night. Indiana was a desperate team and Iowa’s awful defense is just the remedy for a desperate team playing at their home gym. How many times have we seen that movie the last three years? I turned it off at half.

Overall I’m still happy with this team. The injuries have been ridiculous. Need one or two more wins to dance and I think we do that.

Idiots will call this a Fran fade, but that’s really not true at all. Brutal end of year schedule along with an incredibly depleted roster.

IMHO, you are getting too excited about an Iowa team.

Such a view often doesn't have a happy ending.

2 cents

Tough to win a road game when an opponent's bench player goes off for 25 on 7-11 shooting behind the arc. Granted Iowa's perimeter defense had a lot to do with it but they still have to make the shots. That stretch where Green hit 4 straight 3s and a teammate hit another in under 3 minutes was the difference in the game. Hell Iowa beat Indiana by 3 in the second half. It's not like the team completely folded like I thought they would after CJF went down.

Joe W was struggling with Indiana's in your face and ride your hip defense. That Smith guy played some really good defense on him and was frustrating the heck out of Joe in the first half. Joe bounced back though and ended up with 16. He struggled compared to what we're used to seeing but it's not like he was bad. 6-11 shooting, 16 points, 6 boards, and 2 steals with 2 turnovers is not what most would consider bad.

Garza played 40 and was still super effective til the end which is nuts.

The other 3 starters had a combined 7 points. CJF posted a donut in 11 minutes before he went down. Connor and Joe T will need to provide more than 7 per game moving forward.

Evelyn surprisingly provided 9 bench points but the 4 turnovers hurt.

Kriener was in foul trouble and only pitched in 6.

It was a road game in the Big Ten and Indiana was favored. I'm not upset at all but like others, I am worried about depth down the stretch assuming CJF will be out a while.

I said it in another post, but IMO with the line up we had after CJ went down, there simply isn't enough shooters for Weiskamp to play his game. With Connor and Evelyn on the floor together they simply aren't looking to shoot which means defenses can consistently keep an extra set of eyes on Joe on the perimeter and consistently double Garza in the paint. I don't think it's a matter of mediocrity, but rather simply not having the right type of guys to take the pressure off of him.

This is funny. I missed the game last night because my daughter had a game.

In her game they got their asses kicked 51-21. My daughter scored 14 points and had about 10 blocks.

The rest of the team did nothing. Kind of sounds like the Hawks. :)

We need help from other teams. Just because a player is open doesn't mean he has to make the shot. I see guys miss wide open shots all the time. We need some teams to have off nights against us like Maryland did. Nights where the ball always seems to bounce to us. Our 1 and 2 guys are probably the best in the conference. But our 3 through 8 is probably worse than Nebraska and Northwestern. That happens when your 3rd, 4th, 5th, and 9th(ish) best players are out. I'll bet we are one of the only teams in the country to play 2 walkons at the same time due to necessity this year.

We need help from other teams. Just because a player is open doesn't mean he has to make the shot. I see guys miss wide open shots all the time. We need some teams to have off nights against us like Maryland did. Nights where the ball always seems to bounce to us. Our 1 and 2 guys are probably the best in the conference. But our 3 through 8 is probably worse than Nebraska and Northwestern. That happens when your 3rd, 4th, 5th, and 9th(ish) best players are out. I'll bet we are one of the only teams in the country to play 2 walkons at the same time due to necessity this year.

It s a typical Fran fade with a different twist. Short roster for sure and it hurts.

The storyline from there is familiar. Lack of perimeter speed. Failure to correct deficiencies during the season. Teams learn yo play Iowa.

Teams are playing Iowa like Lute used yo coach. About IU he said, Whitman will get his 30 and we ll shut down the rest. And they did.

It s a typical Fran fade with a different twist. Short roster for sure and it hurts.

The storyline from there is familiar. Lack of perimeter speed. Failure to correct deficiencies during the season. Teams learn yo play Iowa.

Teams are playing Iowa like Lute used yo coach. About IU he said, Whitman will get his 30 and we ll shut down the rest. And they did.

Do we really have a lack of perimeter speed this year? There are a lot of teams out there that are probably even slower than us who don't have perimeter speed issues. Fran prioritizes offense, therefore doesn't put a big enough priority on defense. It's as simple as that. A gimpy Bohannon lacked the speed to play good defense. But he's not playing this year.

Do we really have a lack of perimeter speed this year? There are a lot of teams out there that are probably even slower than us who don't have perimeter speed issues. Fran prioritizes offense, therefore doesn't put a big enough priority on defense. It's as simple as that. A gimpy Bohannon lacked the speed to play good defense. But he's not playing this year.

Yes we do lack it.

We for sure lack it a bit. I just don't think we lack it enough where it's much of a factor. Joe T is late on closeouts just as much as the next guy and he might be the quickest player in the conference. Court awareness and effort are a way bigger issue than speed.

These guys live bb. The lack of speed makes them appear not as aware. Iowa foes close out well at all.

Saw a tweet from espn listing 4 big men asking which one deserves the Wooden award more. None of them were Garza. Almost every single reply was about Garza. The secret is out. He's gonna win the award.

Saw a tweet from espn listing 4 big men asking which one deserves the Wooden award more. None of them were Garza. Almost every single reply was about Garza. The secret is out. He's gonna win the award.

I sure didn't see this coming.

Iowa is getting exactly zilch in bench scoring. They may be trying and even getting a rebound here and there, but at the end of the game and the bench scoring is something like 28-6, you are seriously outgunned. We'll be better next year, but right now, we are seriously handicapped by our bench.

Latest posts