Gary Dolphin

I think because we listen to him every week, some people tend to me more critical. People find more flaws with what they are familiar with. Is he the best play by play guy? Probably not. But he is solid, and he is ours.
he may be yours ... but I've disliked his game-calling for a long time!

Last edited:
If I listen to Dolph it is when I am where I can't see it on TV. If I am able to check the score it is not given very often. When I am able to tune in I want the score and the down and distance.

Give me a break. Jon, this board has hit a new low after this loss. With the "Dorm Life" thread and this thread taking on GD, I think I've officially had enough until after the Ball State game.

I for one like dolph. You might be right about calling the game, I'm usually watching it with no volume on the tv because the TV announcers, nearly without exception, are orders of magnitude worse than dolph.

For those that don't like Dolph, you can make your point without attacking people or sounding vindictive. In fact, you can often get more people to your side by offering up facts to support your argument and doing it in a respectful tone.

I, for one, don't enjoy Dolph's play-by-play.....for several reasons (but I do enjoy Podolak's color commentary).

In my opinion, a play-by-play man's first job is to paint a picture for the audience of what's happening on the field. I don't feel that Dolph does a good job of this. He's very spotty in describing the formations before the ball is snapped and often times a play will actually happen and he's either still talking about the play before or doing an in-game commercial.

His second job should be to give the score, time, down, and distance as often as possible. Never assume that your entire listening audience has been with you since the opening kickoff. I also don't feel like Dolph does very well at this. There are times when I may have to shuttle kids to/from practices or run other errands and want to know down/distance/time/score. It's like pulling teeth with him to get that information.

Finally, his last job should be to set up his color man. I think Dolph does a pretty good job of this. Either that, or Ed is such a good color man that he makes it seem like Dolph does a good job of this. However, I will say in regards to color commentary, that Dolph sometimes interjects himself into this area too much. I want to hear Podolak's take on a play or a series or personnel, not Dolph.

On a side note, I think another thing he could work to improve on is his attitude during bad plays, bad games, etc. I probably notice this a lot more during basketball than football since we've had a heckuva run these last few years in football. But he can REALLY get down on the team or player when things go bad. I'd like to see him be a little more positive when things aren't going well.

Look, I know the job is difficult and it's easy to critique from the "cheap seats". At the same time, I think we as fans want to see a better product from our play-by-play guy.

I'm spoiled....I grew up listening to

2318184219_ec4c8e1ef3.jpg

in his prime.....

....they'll never be another...

JimZabel.jpg

Bob Brooks or Ron Gonder > Gary Dolphin

I don't recall ever listening to Zabel call a game

Last edited:
this is sad that you ppl have to scrutinize other people in order for you to get over the loss last weekend. Move on

For those that don't like Dolph, you can make your point without attacking people or sounding vindictive. In fact, you can often get more people to your side by offering up facts to support your argument and doing it in a respectful tone.

I, for one, don't enjoy Dolph's play-by-play.....for several reasons (but I do enjoy Podolak's color commentary).

In my opinion, a play-by-play man's first job is to paint a picture for the audience of what's happening on the field. I don't feel that Dolph does a good job of this. He's very spotty in describing the formations before the ball is snapped and often times a play will actually happen and he's either still talking about the play before or doing an in-game commercial.

His second job should be to give the score, time, down, and distance as often as possible. Never assume that your entire listening audience has been with you since the opening kickoff. I also don't feel like Dolph does very well at this. There are times when I may have to shuttle kids to/from practices or run other errands and want to know down/distance/time/score. It's like pulling teeth with him to get that information.

Finally, his last job should be to set up his color man. I think Dolph does a pretty good job of this. Either that, or Ed is such a good color man that he makes it seem like Dolph does a good job of this. However, I will say in regards to color commentary, that Dolph sometimes interjects himself into this area too much. I want to hear Podolak's take on a play or a series or personnel, not Dolph.

On a side note, I think another thing he could work to improve on is his attitude during bad plays, bad games, etc. I probably notice this a lot more during basketball than football since we've had a heckuva run these last few years in football. But he can REALLY get down on the team or player when things go bad. I'd like to see him be a little more positive when things aren't going well.

Look, I know the job is difficult and it's easy to critique from the "cheap seats". At the same time, I think we as fans want to see a better product from our play-by-play guy.

Doesn't that help to paint the picture of how things are going, though? ;)

I would love to be able to take a crack at Dolph's job, but I'm a few years away from that. I feel like I'm familiar enough with the players and formations that I could do it if given the opportunity. I'd probably always forget to do the in-game commercials though lol.

I echo what Jon says in that Dolph may not be the best but puts his heart and soul into the broadcast and along with Eddie, they make a fine team.

I watched the opening on ESPN3 and listened to Dolph & Eddie on the radio. I'll keep that in mind when this happens in the future.

and a THOUSAND times better than Zabel ever was...I don't what people ever saw (or heard) in him....now Zabel was TERRIBLE at play by play...but....still a great Hawkeye fan...he actually sounds more informed about the team NOW (when you listen to him on "sound off") then he ever did back then...

Doesn't that help to paint the picture of how things are going, though? ;)

I would love to be able to take a crack at Dolph's job, but I'm a few years away from that. I feel like I'm familiar enough with the players and formations that I could do it if given the opportunity. I'd probably always forget to do the in-game commercials though lol.

Hey i want Dolph's job!!! i guess i could take Eddy's tho too:)

Dolph is o.k. i guess. . .but I used to listen to Ron Gonder. World's apart. Gonder was the best. Hated when Learfield took over.

Dolph doesn't hold a candle to Gonder. Those are some mighty big shoes to fill.

for 1 it was a joke. and 2 im 16 by time i get to his status, who knows if he will still be calling the hawks. I hope his is I love the guy. Dolph and Edd are my role models, I want to have a set up like them someday. Maybe TM3308 and I can do that someday :)

I think because we listen to him every week, some people tend to me more critical. People find more flaws with what they are familiar with. Is he the best play by play guy? Probably not. But he is solid, and he is ours.

Ummm....He is not solid nor even close! He is terrible and only a homer like you would remotely back him up.

Latest posts