Gary Dolphin Diagnosed with Prostate Cancer

JonDMiller

Publisher/Founder
Keep Dolph in your prayers

IOWA CITY, Iowa - - University of Iowa play-by-play announcer Gary Dolphin has been diagnosed with prostate cancer. He is not expected to miss any Iowa football or men's basketball games and is optimistic for a full and complete recovery.

"My doctors are confident they've caught the cancer in the early stages and I will attack it aggressively with radiation treatment,â€￾ said Dolphin. “Barring unforeseen circumstances, I expect to fulfill all my responsibilities to the University and Learfield Sports, where football and basketball are concerned. In the meantime I would appreciate the prayers and well wishes from Hawkeye fans all over the country. I'd also like to urge ALL males, age 50 and above, to have the simple PSA blood test performed. It could save their life."

Chuck Schroeder, General Manager of Hawkeye Sports Properties had the following comment;

“We’ll be with Dolph every step of the way through his treatment of this disease. Gary is a huge part of Hawkeye Sports Properties and the Hawkeye Radio Network. We have great confidence that he’ll be ready when we go on the air in a few short weeks.â€￾

Dolphin, who recently turned 60, will start his 15th year as the radio voice of Iowa football and men’s basketball. He has served as host for the weekly coaches show on radio and television, featuring Kirk Ferentz and Fran McCaffery. He also represents the UI Athletics Department at countless benefits, fundraisers and I-Club events throughout the year.

That's horrible...He was just on T&T this morning talking about the upcoming season. Wouldn't have known that anything was wrong. They must have caught it very early because he sounded as good as ever. Best of luck to Dolph.

Brutal. I wish there was a bigger movement for research with prostate cancer like there is for breast cancer. I think their is some "brown" movement or something but it's pretty quiet.

He was great on T&T this morning. You couldn't tell at all. My prayers are with him. His voice gets me so jacked up for football.

This cancer is very treatable if caught in the early stages, lets hope and pray that this is the case. Good luck and may god bless.

This cancer is very treatable if caught in the early stages, lets hope and pray that this is the case. Good luck and may god bless.

Exactly true. This is why there will always be more research for breast CA than prostate as referred to above. So much emphasis is placed on the grade of the prostate cancer for prognosis.

I suspect it was caught real early with a lower grade since he is only 60 & going the radiation route. If it was a higher grade (worst prognosis) at a relatively young age they may push the surgery so this is a good sign. Prostate CA responds very well with radiation & hormone therapy. It is a terrific organ to radiate compared to other sites & those patients actually respond quite well. Radiation has really improved over the years & the radiation fields are now really defined, meaning they can give a much highter dose to a smaller field. This is important so that collateral (good) tissues/organs won't receive as much radiation making it more affective & the Pt less sick when receiving.

I wish him well.

Wishing Dolph best wishes & a fast recovery!

Thank God for modern science - prostate cancer is extremely treatable, especially when caught at early stages. Any kind of cancer is scary, but Dolph's long-term prospects of recover should be excellent.

I wish Dolph the best of luck. Not to sound crass or anything, but my prediction of JD Miller and Pam Ward in the box may be coming true. Let's just hope JD doesn't forget about us little folk.

Wow that's scary! Thank god they have seem to have caught it early. I can't imagine having anyone but Dolph calling the FB/BB games for many years to come. Here's to a speedy recovery!

Brutal. I wish there was a bigger movement for research with prostate cancer like there is for breast cancer. I think their is some "brown" movement or something but it's pretty quiet.

Breast cancer is much more aggressive and deadly.

Dolph should be fine if they caught this early. It's usually not a fast spreader and you can radiate it w/o much collateral damage. All cancer is scary and sucks but if you had to make a Sophie's choice and pick one, this would be one to pick.

My bro is an urologist...he says that all of us dudes will get prostate cancer if we live long enough.

Breast cancer is much more aggressive and deadly.

Dolph should be fine if they caught this early. It's usually not a fast spreader and you can radiate it w/o much collateral damage. All cancer is scary and sucks but if you had to make a Sophie's choice and pick one, this would be one to pick.

My bro is an urologist...he says that all of us dudes will get prostate cancer if we live long enough.

Breast CA is such a much more dynamic disease with a lot of variables pertaining to prognosis & treatment. Fortunately, prostate CA is much more cut & dry as far as prognosis and treatment goes.

This is why breast CA is researched so much more.

So now you can find out by taking a blood test?
Or does the Doc still penetrate the ol' dirt button?

Anyway hope Dolph fully recovers.. Love that guy

Latest posts