Gary Barta, Kirk Ferentz & Fran McCaffery

Would people stop with the inapt references between Kirk Ferentz and Fran McCaffrey? Other than the fact that both teams lost to ISU this year, I don't see the comparison.

1) ISU football is a dumpster fire. ISU basketball is quickly becoming a powerhouse. It'd be great to beat them, but there's not shame in losing to them.
2) The Big Ten is terrible in football. The Big Ten was the best league in college basketball.
3) The football team's schedule was a joke. The basketball team will play 4 non-conference ranked opponents, and then play in what once was the toughest league in the country.
4) Iowa beat UNC at UNC. That is a better win than the football team has had in years. Even if UNC isn't a world beater this year.
5) The basketball team has gotten better every year under Fran. This year might be a step backwards. On the other hand, we might get a better seed in the tourney than last year. Can you at least wait until after we don't make the tourney to start these ridiculous threads comparing Ferentz and McCaffrey.
6) The Iowa basketball teams plays a fun, fast style of basketball. The Iowa football team's offense is abysmal.
7) Fran gives minutes to players that perform even if they are young. Compare Jok and Uhl's minutes to Ogelsby versus ISU.
8) Iowa basketball has a great recruiting class signed for next year. You can turn around a basketball team by signing good recruits a lot quicker than a football team, especially considering how often Fertentz plays young players.
9) Fertentz's son coaches our mediocre offensive line. McCaffrey's son could be a top 50 recruit and a 4 year starter.
10) The Iowa football team went 7-5, and 4-4 in the Big Ten with an incredibly weak schedule. If Iowa beats UNI, they will go into the Big Ten at 10-3 with wins over two top 25 teams and needing to go around 500 to get into the NCAA tourney.

Fixed it.

Last night I had a dream that Barta, Kirk and Fran were fired and Jeff Long and Bielema and BJ Armstrong were hired. It was the greatest dream of my life. Would anybody take this scenario right now?

Barta and Ferntz are fair game McCaffery, not so much.

What if Alford said he was really really sorry and wanted to come back? :rolleyes:
On only one condition, he cant have no more hair, he has to shave himself before coming back here and keep himself shaved if he stay here. No free razors or hairclippers ever from Iowa.

Let's just hire the Regina football coaching staff. The head coach is Marv Cook, the OC is Ed Hinkel and the DC is Alex Kannelis. Can't be any worse than we've had lately.....

The state of Iowa has never produced any players, has it? Hinrich, Collision, La Frenz, Barnes, McDermott, Korver, Paige, Horner, Brunner, Gatens, Haluska. Do you live under a rock. Hoiberg also took over a program that hadn't been to the tourney in years. If we don't make the tourney this year, it will be 5 years running. We have absolutely no guard play and no shooters 5 years into the program. At the end of the day, isn't college basketball all about the NCAA tourney? How many tourney wins do we have? Gotta love Hawkeye fans that accept mediocrity at its finest because as long as we have that mind set, nothing will change.

Fools.

Counting the players above and Chris Street and a couple of others and you have one player every one to two years from Iowa. East coast has hundreds if not thousands of players for teams like UConn, NC, Duke etc to go after.

Kentucky and Louisville are taking recruits from where ever and when ever. Florida has been a power for a decade or so.

Fran is doing above avg, he had a great team going last year until something caused a flat tire. With a little effort and some timely shooting they might win 20 this year. I just dont see how you expect Fran to pull in two 5* players every year since it has been about 25 years since Hawk basketball really made a splash.

I will take 5 more years of what we have as compared to Lickball. I didnt watch one bball game under Lick the last year and a half he was here.

And I am a guy who stayed up to 1 AM listening to Zabel call Iowa beating #1 UCLA in '64 or '65

Counting the players above and Chris Street and a couple of others and you have one player every one to two years from Iowa. East coast has hundreds if not thousands of players for teams like UConn, NC, Duke etc to go after.

Kentucky and Louisville are taking recruits from where ever and when ever. Florida has been a power for a decade or so.

Fran is doing above avg, he had a great team going last year until something caused a flat tire. With a little effort and some timely shooting they might win 20 this year. I just dont see how you expect Fran to pull in two 5* players every year since it has been about 25 years since Hawk basketball really made a splash.

I will take 5 more years of what we have as compared to Lickball. I didnt watch one bball game under Lick the last year and a half he was here.

And I am a guy who stayed up to 1 AM listening to Zabel call Iowa beating #1 UCLA in '64 or '65
Herby forgot his"oil change."

Would people stop with the inapt references between Kirk Ferentz and Fran McCaffrey? Other than the fact that both teams lost to ISU this year, I don't see the comparison.

1) ISU football is a dumpster fire. ISU basketball is quickly becoming a powerhouse. It'd be great to beat them, but there's not shame in losing to them.
2) The Big Ten is terrible in football. The Big Ten is the best league in college basketball.
3) The football team's schedule was a joke. The basketball team will play 4 non-conference ranked opponents, and then play in the toughest league in the country.
4) Iowa beat UNC at UNC. That is a better win than the football team has had in years. Even if UNC isn't a world beater this year.
5) The basketball team has gotten better every year under Fran. This year might be a step backwards. On the other hand, we might get a better seed in the tourney than last year. Can you at least wait until after we don't make the tourney to start these ridiculous threads comparing Ferentz and McCaffrey.
6) The Iowa basketball teams plays a fun, fast style of basketball. The Iowa football team's offense is abysmal.
7) Fran gives minutes to players that perform even if they are young. Compare Jok and Uhl's minutes to Ogelsby versus ISU.
8) Iowa basketball has a great recruiting class signed for next year. You can turn around a basketball team by signing good recruits a lot quicker than a football team, especially considering how often Fertentz plays young players.
9) Fertentz's son coaches our mediocre offensive line. McCaffrey's son could be a top 50 recruit and a 4 year starter.
10) The Iowa football team went 7-5, and 4-4 in the Big Ten with an incredibly weak schedule. If Iowa beats UNI, they will go into the Big Ten at 10-3 with wins over two top 25 teams and needing to go around 500 to get into the NCAA tourney.

You realize that there was never any direct comparison between Ferentz and Fran, right? That said, this team isn't getting a better seed than last year's. I'll be surprised if we get to the tourney. The blueprint is out on how to stop us. We can't shoot to save our lives, so teams are going to continue packing it in to keep the frontcourt in check. If we get forced into a halfcourt game, it's over.

Only a complete idiot would want to fire Fran right now. Some of you know so very little about college ball. It's sad that you're not afraid to show your ignorance to the world.

Let me help some of you out. Fran's biggest challenge when he arrived at Iowa wasn't a bare cupboard. It was perception. It was cleaning up a recruiting territory disaster left by TL and Bruce Pearl. He was fishing without a worm and had to work his butt off to mend broken relationships that were 20 years old in some cases. Unfortunately, rebuilding bridges take time. So he was forced to find diamonds in the rough and sign a lot of in-state players. Regardless of what he may say at I-Club functions, I don't think for a second that Fran cares about signing kids from Iowa. Few kids in this state have the skill set he wants for his system.

So now that he is gaining traction in Chicago of all places, some of you want to pull the plug and give Barta another chance to hire someone??

Fools.

I couldn't agree more! Some people are just never happy & the others are just damn impatient. Firing Fran talk is just rediculous. He's made the team respectable, brought better players in (better guards a work in progress), up-tempo style people begged for years, a personality and energy & not afraid to show it. There is not reason to slide back now. Iowa is NOT a school where it's advantageous to change coaches every 3 years.

Two things we never saw in games during the TL era, slam dunks and a press. We see multiple in games now days.

Latest posts