Game Report: Boilermakers Blow Out Iowa in West Lafayette

When you beat UVA by 29, MSU by 29, Wisky by 19, and us by 36, you're going to get some major bonus points in KenPom. On a neutral site, we would beat that team by 8-10 points. But there's something about Mackey that just makes teams fold. Purdue is now something like 47-5 at Mackey in conference play over the last 6 years.

I posted this earlier in another thread, but the odds of a 12-10 team beating the likes of UVA, MSU, Wisky, and Iowa by a combined 113 points has to be right up there with winning the lottery. That is the most crazy home court advantage in any one season I've ever seen.

I agree Mackey had a lot to do with it but if you think we'd beat them by 8-10 at a neutral site you're nuts.

All teams have strengths and weaknesses. All B1G coaches watch film, develop solid game plans, and try to get the other team to play to their strengths and minimize exposure of their weaknesses.

Scouting report on Iowa: double Garza as soon as he gets the ball. Keep him off the low block and make him catch it on the perimeter or atleast 15 feet from the basket. Be active in the passing lanes and body up to Wieskamp and CJ. If the ball kicks to any 2 other guys, you live with the result. On defense, hit some 3's to loosen the zone, dribble drive and kick, work the high pick and roll and put pressure on Garza to foul him out.

Purdue scouting report: keep them off the offensive glass. Make them put the ball on the deck and take early shots. Get them into a foot race. Make them shoot. On defense, swing the ball quickly side to side and get easier looks from the perimeter or post entry on the back side.

Last night, and the way it has been, we have 5 players that you would comfortably bet couldn't hit a wide open shot from the perimeter. Purdue dared them to shoot. And per scouting report, they didnt hit a thing. Purdue was able to use 4 guys to cover 3 and at times use 5 to cover 3. Evelyn is useless. Joe T has no confidence and doesn't know when to drive. Pemsl is worse than useless. Kriener is not even looking to shoot because when he shoots he isn't close. CMac regressed to his mean and missed open shot after open shot.

On the flip side, the bald guy from Purdue, who looks to be their kriener couldn't miss, he hit like 4 of them. Their Joe t hit like 3 of them, and their evelyn hit like 3 of them, and their pemsl, a guy who was less than 10% hit 2 of them. If that were reversed, that is a different game.

Makes me think they're cheating somehow

It's something....because while I'm sure I've forgotten specific details about certain seasons since I started watching in 1985, I can't recall a team with a homecourt advantage so big that it allows them to, not just beat but absolutely curbstomp, 4 upper echelon P5 teams by a combined 113 points.....then turn around and get beat by 30 at Illinois (while scoring a grand total of 37 points) and 14 at the worst team in the conference in Nebraska.

I've never seen anything like that before.

One game like that happens all the time....one team gets hot at the same time one team can't do shit. But to do that 4 freaking times in the same season? Crazy.

It's something....because while I'm sure I've forgotten specific details about certain seasons since I started watching in 1985, I can't recall a team with a homecourt advantage so big that it allows them to, not just beat but absolutely curbstomp, 4 upper echelon P5 teams by a combined 113 points.....then turn around and get beat by 30 at Illinois (while scoring a grand total of 37 points) and 14 at the worst team in the conference in Nebraska.

I've never seen anything like that before.
Did Purdue hire someone from the Patriots organization recently?

All teams have strengths and weaknesses. All B1G coaches watch film, develop solid game plans, and try to get the other team to play to their strengths and minimize exposure of their weaknesses.

Scouting report on Iowa: double Garza as soon as he gets the ball. Keep him off the low block and make him catch it on the perimeter or atleast 15 feet from the basket. Be active in the passing lanes and body up to Wieskamp and CJ. If the ball kicks to any 2 other guys, you live with the result. On defense, hit some 3's to loosen the zone, dribble drive and kick, work the high pick and roll and put pressure on Garza to foul him out.

Purdue scouting report: keep them off the offensive glass. Make them put the ball on the deck and take early shots. Get them into a foot race. Make them shoot. On defense, swing the ball quickly side to side and get easier looks from the perimeter or post entry on the back side.

Last night, and the way it has been, we have 5 players that you would comfortably bet couldn't hit a wide open shot from the perimeter. Purdue dared them to shoot. And per scouting report, they didnt hit a thing. Purdue was able to use 4 guys to cover 3 and at times use 5 to cover 3. Evelyn is useless. Joe T has no confidence and doesn't know when to drive. Pemsl is worse than useless. Kriener is not even looking to shoot because when he shoots he isn't close. CMac regressed to his mean and missed open shot after open shot.

On the flip side, the bald guy from Purdue, who looks to be their kriener couldn't miss, he hit like 4 of them. Their Joe t hit like 3 of them, and their evelyn hit like 3 of them, and their pemsl, a guy who was less than 10% hit 2 of them. If that were reversed, that is a different game.

Beside the fact that you make some good points, it would not seem either necessary nor factual when you rip into individual players. I am very disappointed in your judgement.

You know, after reading what I wrote, you are right. I apologize. That was classless on my part to describe individual players as useless and less than useless.

If I had a re-do, I wouldn't say those things, I would just say that the 4 rotation players of Kriener/JoeT/Evelyn/Pemsl are really struggling to take advantage of defenses over playing the big 3. For us to be a special team we are going to need those guys to be able to positively contribute on the offensive end when the ball swings their way and they either have no defender or a mismatch.

I am not sure that Evelyn or Pemsl can do much physically past just spelling the starters for a breather, but JoeT and Kriener have some tools to work with. I think something we are seeing right now is that defenses are adjusting and know how they will play us, and now it is up to Fran to make that adjustment to beat that. With the game schedule lately I cant believe that we have had any quality practices to work on some things, so some time in the gym will help here. We won't have time before Nebraska but then we have a little time before they go to Indiana.

I dont think the gameplan will change, the offense will still revolve around Garza. But can they change the action on the perimeter to get either CJ or Wieskamp those open looks rather than the non shooters? Can JoeT get some confidence in a definite role of utilizing his strength of going to the basket? And at the end of the shot clock can we get CMac down low to rebound instead of ending up on the perimeter?

Still a long way to go and we are still in everything we could want to achieve.

When you beat UVA by 29, MSU by 29, Wisky by 19, and us by 36, you're going to get some major bonus points in KenPom. On a neutral site, we would beat that team by 8-10 points. But there's something about Mackey that just makes teams fold. Purdue is now something like 47-5 at Mackey in conference play over the last 6 years.

I posted this earlier in another thread, but the odds of a 12-10 team beating the likes of UVA, MSU, Wisky, and Iowa by a combined 113 points has to be right up there with winning the lottery. That is the most crazy home court advantage in any one season I've ever seen.

Valid point, but unquestionably the better team won last night. After what I saw, home court advantage or not, they looked like the ranked team and we played the roll of the 12/10 team.

You know, after reading what I wrote, you are right. I apologize. That was classless on my part to describe individual players as useless and less than useless.

If I had a re-do, I wouldn't say those things, I would just say that the 4 rotation players of Kriener/JoeT/Evelyn/Pemsl are really struggling to take advantage of defenses over playing the big 3. For us to be a special team we are going to need those guys to be able to positively contribute on the offensive end when the ball swings their way and they either have no defender or a mismatch.

I am not sure that Evelyn or Pemsl can do much physically past just spelling the starters for a breather, but JoeT and Kriener have some tools to work with. I think something we are seeing right now is that defenses are adjusting and know how they will play us, and now it is up to Fran to make that adjustment to beat that. With the game schedule lately I cant believe that we have had any quality practices to work on some things, so some time in the gym will help here. We won't have time before Nebraska but then we have a little time before they go to Indiana.

I dont think the gameplan will change, the offense will still revolve around Garza. But can they change the action on the perimeter to get either CJ or Wieskamp those open looks rather than the non shooters? Can JoeT get some confidence in a definite role of utilizing his strength of going to the basket? And at the end of the shot clock can we get CMac down low to rebound instead of ending up on the perimeter?

Still a long way to go and we are still in everything we could want to achieve.

I think those guys are getting those kind of looks because they are, in fact, the non shooters.

The conference season is a grind. Winning on the road is hard, even against average teams. And on some nights, the other team just doesn't miss. The game was a turd, and is not indicative of any future performances. We laid a turd at Nebraska and then looked like a totally different team a few days later home against Maryland.

Flush it and move on.

Nebraska game will be the 5th game in 13 days for the Hawks before they get a week of rest. I think the travel and fatigue factor was also playing a role in this game.

Latest posts