Game plans against ISU?

What are going to be the offensive/defensive game plans going to be against ISU? Is their defense as bad as them seem on paper? Will we be able to shut down their O? Their O, although not explosive through 2 games, scares me a little. They have big physical receivers as well as backs who can catch the ball out of the backfield.

Two yard out passes to teh sidelines all while leaving your RB hang out to dry. Mix in a telegraphed audible to a run. Oh and for a little extra seasoning throw one deep to Willies/Powell but miss over his head by two yards, just to keep teh defense honest.

More power straight ahead running by the hawks and less strung out stretch sweeps. If we can really block them the the stretched out sweeps really tire them out so mix up the running game but start going at them with power.

Passing game just needs to have more 8-15 yard plays and there should be someone going long on most plays. If that player going long gets single coverage and he beats his man we have to try to hit him.

Defense keep playing like you have. Oh and make FG tries and punt better

I would hope that it will start with a giant dose of Weisman. Anything else would be asinine after the way we physically kicked their butts last year. They knew it was coming and still couldn't stop it even with 9 guys in the box. Clone fans can beat their chest all they want about how that game ended as a one score game, but it was a mismatch physically...and after watching them in their first two games, their defense is not much better. I think teams get too cute when playing them and end up keeping them in games. Now if they stop the run...and we haven't exactly shown we can run the ball this year...then it gets very interesting.

Look--we need to avoid giving up big plays, which means staying with their receivers.

I saw part of the KSU game Saturday, and their receivers had more speed than I had anticipated.

Our secondary and LBs in coverage need to have a big week.

If we avoid giving up big plays, we should win.

I don't know what to expect. See they've got me confused. Imagine how they got the other coaches stumped.

My game plan is to start drinking early.

I have no idea what to expect from the Hawks. It looks like we should be running early and often, so we probably won't do that...

Two yard out passes to teh sidelines all while leaving your RB hang out to dry. Mix in a telegraphed audible to a run. Oh and for a little extra seasoning throw one deep to Willies/Powell but miss over his head by two yards, just to keep teh defense honest.

lol sounds about right.

Pound the rock on the ground all day long. I don't see any way they can stop the run.

This philosophy worked for several years. You know, run the ball to set up the pass. Don't think so now. If ISU stacks the LOS they will stop the Iowa running game. UNI and Ball State did it and ISU can as well.

In the past 3 years or so all defenses Iowa play against seem to consistently put 8 to 9 guys on the LOS. They do so because they believe Iowa will not go vertical with the passing game. And they've been correct. Trouble is Iowa keeps trying to establish the run and rarely will pass the ball deep to open things up. Passing the ball vertically for a 3 or 3 yard gain does little to change the defensive mind set. Only on their last 2 Series Saturday, when forced to do so, did the Hawks open things up. And what happened? 2 TD's. Amazing, isn't it?

It is time this staff changed with the times. Or get over their conservative hard headed play calling and throw deep or utilize the tight ends in the middle of the field 12 to 15 yards past the LOS. Then the opposing defenses will make or have to make adjustments which will open up the running game. This is not rocket science people. Will mistakes happen here and there? Probably, but being careful and scoring 3 points in 55 minutes won't cut either it the remainder of this season. As any top program does, they make changes consistently during a game on the offensive side of the ball. The Hawks need to do so as well.

Iowa, this year especially, has depth at running back and 2 or 3 guys who can get separation down the field. Utilize the one they most give you. My goodness, how often can Iowa say they have several good running backs and several good WR's in the same sentence or same season?

With all that said. Iowa football is what it is and as a fan I've accepted it as fact that the offense will be boring and laughable for the most part.

We will see a lot of Weisman and Canzeri, with Bullock as the designated passing down back. So, like the last 1/3 of 2013. The passing game will follow suit with play action. On defense, the LB's will have another game in which to mature; ISU can read scouting reports and will no doubt test our LB's in a variety of ways with the passing game. They won't be able to run the ball consistently. I think some blitz packages will emerge against ISU's passing game, and will be successful. Iowa wins, maybe not in dramatic fashion, but workmanlike.

Hoping they run Canzeri a ton...get him and Daniels going. Vertical playaction off of that. Big day for the TE's on seam routes and guys like Smith and Willes. I think our WR's can be more physical their their secondary.

Then bring in the hebrew hammer in the fourth and demoralize them.

On defense...safeties need to keep everything in front of them.

On offense Iowa needs to use their taller wide receivers to create mismatches in Iowa State's secondary. Iowa State's secondary is one of the smallest that Iowa will face this year. This include everyone from the linebackers (Luke Knot 6.0 @216lb) through to the defensive backfield(Richardson 5.7 @182 lbs). Power running strait at the defense to set up the pass. Iowa State has very little ability to stop the run. Iowa should exploit this deficiency two or three downs every series. Doing this will wear down their weak defensive line. Using Wiesman to pound and Canzeri to hit the edges should get Iowa a good rushing day and the win.

On defense Iowa also has a mismatch opportunity with Big Carl Davis @ 315 pounds and LTP working on Iowa State's mediocre average sized line. But the defense has to contain Richardson and Wimberly. Containment is the key as Richardson and Wimberly can move. Wimberly is a fast little 5.9 scat back. Occasional blitz's should keep them to 3 and outs. With Bondrage out, Iowa State has a couple of decent wide receivers that can get down field and Richardson has shown some ability to get them the ball. As always, Iowa's DB's need to keep the receivers in front of them. Constant pressure will force Ricardson to get rid of the ball quickly and hopefully set up some turnovers for Iowa.

I don't see how ISU can stop the run. KSU really helped them out by trying to pass when they could have just pounded the rock. Second, let's not have any more Iowa students steal from the locker room. Those two things would work just fine...

Play-action, maybe from two TE sets. Rudock needs to attempt the 10+ yard passes consistently to help the run. Play mix should be 60% run.

Look--we need to avoid giving up big plays, which means staying with their receivers.

I saw part of the KSU game Saturday, and their receivers had more speed than I had anticipated.

Our secondary and LBs in coverage need to have a big week.

If we avoid giving up big plays, we should win.

This.

Play-action, maybe from two TE sets. Rudock needs to attempt the 10+ yard passes consistently to help the run. Play mix should be 60% run.

Passing: 6.17 YPA
Rushing: 4.1 YPC

My ideal mix would be 60% Pass, 40% Run. And the runs should be between the tackles from a single back set with Bullock and Weisman. To throw in a new wrinkle Iowa should check down out of the pass into a QB/RB draw or middle screen play on 3rd and mid-yardage instead of the off-tackle run. Especially if Weisman is in the backfield. Teams crash the line like crazy when Jake checks down. Pop a couple of long delayed runs or middle screens and they will back off a bit on the checkdowns.

The 5 yard outs and short flags are getting around 6 yards per attempt, which is enough to keep the ball moving. Those last two drives Saturday showed that Iowa can move the ball. Instead of only running the two minute drill when down in the last two minutes of the half, it may be prudent to modify the pace of play to use it at least once each quarter. This will keep opposing teams off-balance, and it will especially confuse ISU.

Passing: 6.17 YPA
Rushing: 4.1 YPC

My ideal mix would be 60% Pass, 40% Run. And the runs should be between the tackles from a single back set with Bullock and Weisman. To throw in a new wrinkle Iowa should check down out of the pass into a QB/RB draw or middle screen play on 3rd and mid-yardage instead of the off-tackle run. Especially if Weisman is in the backfield. Teams crash the line like crazy when Jake checks down. Pop a couple of long delayed runs or middle screens and they will back off a bit on the checkdowns.

The 5 yard outs and short flags are getting around 6 yards per attempt, which is enough to keep the ball moving. Those last two drives Saturday showed that Iowa can move the ball. Instead of only running the two minute drill when down in the last two minutes of the half, it may be prudent to modify the pace of play to use it at least once each quarter. This will keep opposing teams off-balance, and it will especially confuse ISU.

I'm 100% on board with this. This is exactly what I was going to post. They'll be expecting the run. Use the pass to open up the run. Jake is accurate and poised enough to pick apart their defense one throw at a time. Yes, take a few shots down the field, and hopefully one or two will connect, but the Hawks don't need to rely on that to win. Once the passing game gets going the run will open up. Their defense is terrible. I don't think they have what it takes to stop the run even if they know it's coming, but if they don't know what's coming at them they certainly won't be able to stop it.

Also, mix up the tempo just like Cincy said. It looks to me like Jake steps it up a notch when the tempo is increased. They don't have to wait until the final two minutes of each half to do that. Speed it up occasionally to keep the defense off balance. There really isn't any reason the Hawks should lose this game. I think it should be a 10 point win or higher if they play the way they are capable. Then again they haven't done that yet this year so who knows.

Offense --
1) don't turn the ball over or even risk a turnover
2) hit the check-downs
3) wait for D to give you a short field & hit a few check-downs in a row to put together scoring drives.

Defense --
1) no big plays
2) blitz on 3rd down with LBs
3) pray offense gets lucky

Latest posts