Game observations

hawkIhoops

Team was talking a lot more on D. Coaches still kept yelling at them to talk. Brown runs the Princeton offense, so a lot of back cuts etc. Guys seemed a little more focused on D, but Brown did not have athletes like Clemson, Campbell, Creighton.

Cartwright-Still seems to be sleep walking. Perimeter shots not close.

Marble-Best game of the year. Sharp on o and d, did not shoot 3's, opted for better shots, made some incredible passes in the open court.

Gatens-Never got it going, hustles and does what he can, but it's a wide open 3 or nothing.

May-Needs to retire the 3 point shot and focus on 15 feet and in. First 3 was ~ 2 feet short and looked awful. Nice lob dunk, but needs his PT redistributed....pointless to continue to start him.

Brommer-Finished a couple nice post moves and seems to be getting his legs back.

Basabe-More like the Basabe we have been waiting for. Should have had 20; missed a few bunnies and had a couple go in and out. Guys were looking for him and he was able re-post.

Oglesby-Got yanked early and chewed on for D ( I think). Seemed to be in dog house after that.

McCabe-Did his best Cole impersonation. Dude scraps, hustles, tips balls, takes charges, etc.

White-Jumpers were just short all day and he missed some bunnies. Had a decent game by remaining active & running the floor--couple nice dunks. Lack of strength is an issue for him, got a few boards taken away.

Olaseni- DNP
Archie-DNP

IMO, it looked like McCaffrey wanted guys to run the offense and not jack up hurried 3's. There were multiple wide open looks that guys passed up to get better shots. Basabe was given more looks and he if he wasn't open, they would swing it and he would re-post. For a couple minutes Oglesby ran the point with Marble and Cartwright on the floor....I liked the look. Cartwright could penetrate from the wing and Marble posted his guy up a couple times. More options with this lineup than with Gatens and May.

Good post, HawkIhoops, I like May coming off the bench. In Fran's system those who deserve will get playing time. Might be too much pressure to score immediately as a starter for Eric. He should still get 10/15 minutes off the bench. We will need his experience and D to be successful.

I like Oglesby at the point. He appears composed and is a very nice passer. Devyn is starting to assert himself very well. I really like his progress.

Brommer looked good in there. He settles things down inside a bit on D.

Cartwright is not quite there yet. He seems to be forcing the issue, and misses open players at times.

Even though it was Brown, it was a good win, happened just in time for hope to beat UNI and the Clones.

:)

From what I have seen Oglesby is the best passer on the team, like the combination with him running the point in the half court with others to bring it up the floor, if there is pressure. He is a smart player and sees the floor very well, also if either Marble or Cartwright drives, our best 3-pt shooter is waiting, or if the other player is wating on the wing then there is another driving opportunity and kick out.
The more players that can drive to the basket that can be on the floor at a time with a combination of shooters the better.

I really like Oglesby's passing, very good for a freshman. He is a court savvy player. I also like White's intensity when he is in there. He has a feel for the ball and is in the action a lot of the time. As the season goes on, he will become more comfortable shooting. He also is forcing the issue at times, forgivable for a freshman if corrected in time. Those two guys are a positive this troubled early season. The entire team seemed better yesterday, working together, perhaps getting the elusive chemistry problems solved.....

:)

they also played less zone and more man to man D
which cut down on wide open 3's
with this team man to man is better than zone

On another subject, I watched Oklahoma State a while ago after Cezar's huge game, and noticed that his teammates seemed to be ignoring him when he was open on several occasions. He would be waiting patiently for a pass that wouldn't come. He seemed to becoming frustrated by the situation. Just my impression. If he was here Fran would not perrnit such an intolerable set of circumstances.....

:D

What I liked most about the Brown game was that (by accident or design) guys were not taking long 3's 10 seconds into the shot clock. Basabe has struggled, but it's hard to get into the flow as a big when you don't get fed the ball and are out of rebounding position due to hurried / bad shots. Kind of a fine line between play fast and take good shots, but I thought playing fast would get us more transition baskets and that isn't happening.

Archie....goes from reclamation project/starter to DNP.

Odd.
From game notes before the Brown game on Saturday:

Senior forward Devon Archie likely won't be available for today's game. Archie has been plagued with a wrist injury. "He did something to it again the other night," McCaffery said. "I don't know how effective he will be."
Commentary by Sports - Local

I was most impressed with Marble and McCabe.
Cartwright still doesn't have "it" like he did last year.
Mel came back finally.
Matt disappeared again.
Oglesby a non-factor.
White was aggressive.
May got his dunk, but did not shoot it well.
Brommer looked great.

Olaseni did not play due to a hip flexor, whatever that is
need help on medical terminology with that one on how serious it is and what causes it

Olaseni did not play due to a hip flexor, whatever that is
need help on medical terminology with that one on how serious it is and what causes it

The hip flexor muscles are a group of six muscles located in the hip and upper front of the thigh. A stretch or tear in any of these muscles -- pretty common in sports and other strenuous activities -- is considered a pulled hip flexor muscle.

Depending on the severity, healing can take a couple days to a week or more. Treatment typically is rest, ice, compression and elevation, although increasingly heat is used to facilitate circulation.

Olaseni has been a bit of a head scratcher so far. McCaffrey brings this guy in, talks him up as the best rebounder on the team and then relegates him to playing behind Archie while Brommer is limited recovering from his knee injury? I like Olaseni, think he has a high ceiling, but he needs reps. If this year isn't about player development, I must be missing something.

Latest posts