Game experience in the stadium

Wonder if he is still alive?
He is alive and well. Gave up the turkey leg gig quite a while ago. I know him from a business relationship I have where he works. And he is a great guy.

I think someone else may have done it for a few years after that but it wasn't the same.

Kinnick is the best tailgate experience in the Big Ten. The fact that it’s a hodge podge of frat houses, parking lots, bars (I love Stella), and street vendors all slammed in the middle of a residential area half the size of other schools makes it as quaint as a drunken sailor-fest can be. Schools like ISU, Penn State, and others that have parking lot metropolises for tailgating are fucking boring and have zero personality. No panache whatsoever. Iowa City has that panache.

How many other places can you walk down the middle of the street, right past three cops, with a half a twelve pack of Twisted teas on your shoulder like a boom box slamming Coors Light tall boys? Not very many.

To be a college student again….

I give the edge to Michigan on tailgating. And I had a blast in East Lansing, too. That place is legit. I ain't been to Ohio, but I heard it is pretty awesome as well. If through some miracle I get a sense that Iowa has a shot in that game in C-Bus I might drive up there for it.

One of my buddies was visiting Madison and he got a drinking ticket for being 9 inches in the street during a "tailgate." They have some lame ass rule about only drinking on private property or some shit and I've heard rumors that law enforcement up there uses ball games as a huge revenue generating tool.

Who was that dude who promoted that bogus shave cream....Revolt I believe....he had a tent across from the stadium.....

Last edited:
One thing I've noticed the past couple years is how much more difficult it is to watch Iowa on TV than in person. I have season tickets so try to get to every home game, health willing. While it's indeed frustrating to watch the offense in person, you at least have the pre-game tailgating, people watching, band, wave, friends seated next to you, and the communal/tribal experience of it all. Conversely, I was on vacation in Colorado last year and watched the Wisconsin game on TV alone and it was one of the more depressing 3 hours of the entire year.
It wasn't any less depressing to be in Madison that day.

I give the edge to Michigan on tailgating. And I had a blast in East Lansing, too. That place is legit. I ain't been to Ohio, but I heard it is pretty awesome as well. If through some miracle I get a sense that Iowa has a shot in that game in C-Bus I might drive up there for it.

One of my buddies was visiting Madison and he got a drinking ticket for being 9 inches in the street during a "tailgate." They have some lame ass rule about only drinking on private property or some shit and I've heard rumors that law enforcement up there uses ball games as a huge revenue generating tool.
They're not rumors....they're facts. You can't walk two steps out of Lucky's with an open container without getting warned at minimum.

Back to the actual game nothing, and I mean nothing is as good as Back and Black, the swarm, and Enter the Sandman. Chills down my spine still. Best intro in college football for sure. I can't be at the game this week but damm, I hope people don't sit on their ass this game. Sometimes these day games don't bring the enthusiastic fans to the front like night games. For Iowa to win this game the crowd can't take a series off and lose it's mojo. Big games and especially alumni games always have too many social fans who just politely sit and are reserved. Stay home and watch it on TV if your that fan and give your seat to a fan who is into the game. The crowd has to bring it this Saturday.

Last edited:
I don't know Yolanda personally, but she knows how to frickin' make kabobs.

Back when I had season tickets and tailgated with a certain clan, one of the women in our group actually befriended her a bit and got her marinade recipe for the pork. She was willing to give it to her. This woman still has season tickets so I'm sure she still makes them to this day and grilling them up at the tailgate.

He is alive and well. Gave up the turkey leg gig quite a while ago. I know him from a business relationship I have where he works. And he is a great guy.

I think someone else may have done it for a few years after that but it wasn't the same.

I swear you could be 1/2 the stadium away down Hawkins Drive and hear him bellow out "Turkey Legs!! Get your BIG ASS Turkey legs!!". as clear as hell.

Back when I had season tickets and tailgated with a certain clan, one of the women in our group actually befriended her a bit and got her marinade recipe for the pork. She was willing to give it to her. This woman still has season tickets so I'm sure she still makes them to this day and grilling them up at the tailgate.
When my kid was younger he used to never miss the Hawk walk and that was our ritual. We'd go get kabobs from Yolanda's and head over to wait for the team busses.

Now he's 14 and it doesn't have the same impression on him like most teenagers :)

When my kid was younger he used to never miss the Hawk walk and that was our ritual. We'd go get kabobs from Yolanda's and head over to wait for the team busses.

Now he's 14 and it doesn't have the same impression on him like most teenagers :)

Yea, but when he is older he is always going to remember it (core memory experience) and tell others or his eventual children, just as you have stated it.

Think of him taking his first child to a Hawkeye game and mimicking what you describe above and stating there used to be this woman who made these pork kabobs and we used to get them on the walk to the team busses............

It's gunna happen.