Game ball has to go to O'Keefe

okeefe4prez

Man, that offense looks ready to play. The constant changing of looks really gave ISU problems and KOK's work with Stanzi (KOK is also QB coach) has really paid off.

Agreed... Iowa looked fantastic on mixing it up today... Stanzi was extremely patient on the throws! Feeling good about this!

Rest easy Iowa Fans. We will be calling for KOK's job by mid-season.

Seriously though, I have been fairly please with the O so far.

Man, that offense looks ready to play. The constant changing of looks really gave ISU problems and KOK's work with Stanzi (KOK is also QB coach) has really paid off.

Despite your fake love of O'keefe, I will say that first quarter and a half was about the most efficient I've seen Iowa look since Ferentz got here, def since 2002. I feel our offense is going to continually be underrated since Ferentz pulls his foot off the gas so fast, but when we are airing it out and running the ball and showing play fakes, we are going to be tough to stop.

In all seriousness, I was thinking all first half of how great a job KOK had done in prep and was doing with the play calling. Also liked a couple of deep balls in the 3rd quarter.

Despite your fake love of O'keefe, I will say that first quarter and a half was about the most efficient I've seen Iowa look since Ferentz got here, def since 2002. I feel our offense is going to continually be underrated since Ferentz pulls his foot off the gas so fast, but when we are airing it out and running the ball and showing play fakes, we are going to be tough to stop.

Seriously, our o-line looked like it did in 2002 with the way they opened up holes all day. Iowa State doesn't have a good run defense but that was fun to see. I've been horrified of the Arizona game all year but if our line plays like it did today nobody is going to beat us.

Just my opinion, but I really don't think the changing looks had much to do with it. It was simply just complete domination at the line of scrimmage. KOK has not significantly changed the play calling, it was just much sharper execution.

I simply imposed their will on ISU. And I love it. College football should be scared because Iowa can move the ball with no gimmicks. The first half was very impressive. Can't wait to punk AZ next week.

STOP RUNNING THE NAKED BOOT! BAD THINGS TEND TO HAPPEN!

Agree. Also, how often do we throw on 2nd down after an incomplete pass on 1st down. I didn't see the entire game but i saw on two occasions where we ran on 2nd and 10 only to set up a 3rd and long. That is a tendency not lost on defensive coordinators. I still believe our strength may turn out to be our passing game with all of our weapons. Solid game by Resiner as well. I would just like to see more passes on 2nd down. They don't have to be throws 20 yards down the field. Thoughts?

I gave him some love in the game thread...1st TD was great play design.

Love the play design on the TD pass...motion out the HB wide of McNutt, and the Cyclones bumped the CB over. McNutt was isolated on a LB and ran the jerk route to perfection! It's almost stealing...

Or teach Stanzi to get rid of the ball.

Naked boots take time to develop. If you want Stanzi to get rid of the ball quicker there basically has to be a player running a shorter route in the flat he's rolling to. The other thing is that ISU blitzed on the naked boot in which Stanzi was sacked. Morse picked up his man who was the quickest threat to Stanzi, but there was somebody else outside him that Morse couldn't account for. I still like the naked boot, but it's definitely risky and I agree, it would be nice for Stanzi to get rid of the ball quicker.

The only thing that really bothered me today, and this is picking nits, was KOK not calling more deep throws earlier (or maybe he called deeper routes and Rick just didn't throw them). I thought he waited too long to go deep, and if they continue to try to establish and use the short passing game early, teams are going to start jumping routes. You can't complain w/ how we opened today, but I have a belief you need to throw it deep at least once a half, just to keep teams honest. At the end of the 3rd quarter we were up big and people I was watching the game w/ didn't think we should be throwing. If a team stacks the box and it's still the 3rd quarter, they deserve to be thrown on, ala the deep ball to Reisner down the middle. And again, if this is all I can really complain about re the O after a 35-7 butt whipping, can't exactly complain too much.

I don't inherently disagree with your first paragraph, but I'll simply add this...The play that he got broke on last year he had time to throw it away AND two guys in the flat (both guys who Ole! blocked Corey Wooten). On the only sack Stanzi suffered today, he had time to throw it away, but I can't recall if there was anyone short. He should understand that before the snap though, that if there isn't an outlet receiver and he gets early pressure, he needs to heave it to the guy who paid too much for his tickets on the Hawk Exchange forum in the 14th row.

Latest posts