Gabe's getting ripped

LawVHawk

2196.jpg

From HawkTalkDaily:

OLASENI EAGER FOR SUMMER TRAINING, LEADERSHIP ROLE
Prime Time League tips off Thursday, June 19

By MATT WEITZEL (@bigweitz)
IOWA CITY, Iowa -- As summer begins to heat up, most University of Iowa students are enjoying time away from campus back home recharging for the fall semester. However, for many UI student-athletes the summer months is a time to work on strength and conditioning and individual skills, as well as taking summer coursework.

Next week, the men's basketball team will begin its annual participation in the Prime Time League, which is held at the North Liberty Community Center. Gabriel Olaseni, who is entering his final season with the Hawkeyes, is eager to get back onto the court with his teammates.

"It will be good to get out there with your teammates on a different stage and play with our new guys," said Olaseni. "It will be beneficial to start playing with them and start building chemistry."

After a two-year absence, UNI will have a presence in the summer league. Players from both schools will be split amongst six teams that compete Thursday nights beginning June 19. With more Division-I players on the rosters, Olaseni said it will make the games more competitive.

"It's always good to go against different players and with UNI playing this year that will be a good mix --plus an added dimension is that we play against them in the Big Four Classic in December," Olaseni said.

In addition to playing in the Prime Time League, the team will have open gyms throughout the summer, which will give the Hawkeyes extra opportunities to play with newcomers Trey Dickerson, Brady Ellingson and Dominque Uhl. Olaseni looks forward to getting to know the players more on-and-off the court this summer.

"I've communicated with them via social media this spring and met them during their respective visits, but the summer months will be a time to get to know them more," said Olaseni. "We want to get them situated and acquainted with Iowa City and answer any questions they have."

The London native said he feels it is the seniors' responsibility to mentor the newcomers once they arrive on campus.

"My freshman year, Bryce Cartwright really took me under his wing," said Olaseni. "I learned a lot from him; he taught me the ropes. My sophomore season, it was Eric May. He told me a lot about work ethic and then last year it was Zach (McCabe), Melsahn (Basabe) and Devyn (Marble). Aaron, Josh and I need to be leaders and set out that we are going to have to play for each other to reach the ultimate goal of winning the Big Ten and making a deep run in the NCAA Tournament."

Entering his senior campaign, Olaseni is trying to maintain the same mindset and approach in offseason training as he has in the past.

"You want to continue to work hard and give it your all every day," he said. "I'm trying to be more organized with my school work so I can get that done and work out more. I have to keep working hard so when my name gets called upon I can make the play and help my teammates win.

"I'm a senior now, so it's time to make the bigger step."

Love Gabe. He is a true good teammate. Reading an interview that Kale Abrahamson gave to the NW student paper as he exits to transfer to Drake, he talked of upperclassmen not being supportive of young players at NW his frosh year....he did not have fun at all, he said.

I am really rooting for Gabe to have a break out season on offense. I really believe that he showed signs last season of being capable of being an offenssive option on the wing. I think both he and Woody are capable of going 1 on 1 from the wing, in a clear out situation.

gotta believe Gabe will have a bright career back in his home country and/or European ball

I wouldn't be so quick to relegate Gabe to european ball. If he shows as much improvement this coming season as he did last year I think there could be some NBA interest....

I wouldn't be so quick to relegate Gabe to european ball. If he shows as much improvement this coming season as he did last year I think there could be some NBA interest....

You'd think he at least get a shot in the NBA D-league or in some of the summer leagues.

We all know that he's ridiculously athletic, but it's a matter of finally putting it all together and performing consistently. I expect big things out of him this upcoming season.

Ready to see Gabe take his game to the next level and have a breakout Senior year. Hope he stays healthy and look forward to him being a big time player!

When Gabe was in a zone earlier in the season, nobody - and I mean nobody - was a better big-man. And there were those who were saying that was anywhere in the country. He (like several others) seemed to retrograde as the season went along, but his up-side is SO big. It could serve us well this coming season.

I agree, Rifler. I think if Gabe can develop a consistant free throw line jumper, and enough handles and footwork to have good post moves, he could have a Horace Grant type career. He looks to have that type of potential. I hope it happens for him.

I'm still bent that he wasn't redshirted his FR year...

I'm going to add it to my "Things I'll Never Get Over" list...along with things like "The Bartman Game" (and I don't mean because of Bartman)..."Jessica Alba marrying someone else"...and "Why the F do people put walnuts in dessert items???"...

You'd think he at least get a shot in the NBA D-league or in some of the summer leagues.

We all know that he's ridiculously athletic, but it's a matter of finally putting it all together and performing consistently. I expect big things out of him this upcoming season.

Sean Sonderleiter played in the D-League for several years, Gabe could absolutely play there but the overseas leagues pay a lot better.

I'm going to add it to my "Things I'll Never Get Over" list...along with things like "The Bartman Game" (and I don't mean because of Bartman)..."Jessica Alba marrying someone else"...and "Why the F do people put walnuts in dessert items???"...

Don't drop the double play ball Alex Gonzalez!

Gabe could still improve exponentially for years to come after he leaves Iowa. The instincts are whats really behind a normal player his age. Hes like a middle schooler in terms of experience with the game.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if he ends up in the NBA in 5 or 6 years looking like a very different player.
Very few people at 6'11, even in the NBA, have the lateral quickness and foot coordination he does.

I expect him to take another big step this year.

Think of it this way. Gabe is a very good rebounder, if you look at a rebounds per minutes played ratio. The NBA will find guys that have that specific skill set and those guys can hang on for years. Paul Silas of the Celtics and wherever else he played in the 1970s to Greg Ostertaag in the 1990s and Reggie Evans since he left Iowa. Those are just three examples of guys who were very one dimensional. Maybe Ostertaag isn't the best example in terms of similar game to Gabe, but I think my point is made.

I don't follow the NBA really closely, but I don't know what holes could be punched in my argument. He is very athletic for his size, and he he still has upside to boot. If he can rebound at a high rate, while playing limited minutes, along with his other skills being able to advance, he can definitely play for a while in the NBA.

Really hoping Gabe gets a lot more minutes this year. I don't think he'll start because of Woody, but he will hopefully be first off the bench at least for either the 4 or the 5. Gabe's mid range jumper looked good toward the end of the year. He's probably the one player that has me the most excited

I am really rooting for Gabe to have a break out season on offense. I really believe that he showed signs last season of being capable of being an offenssive option on the wing. I think both he and Woody are capable of going 1 on 1 from the wing, in a clear out situation.

I also think Aaron will have that ability if he will be able to play that position.....

Three different styles to adjust to, could create problems, then there is always Jaryd who could play the position on occasion.....

If, a mighty IF, we can regain our composure, teamwork and chemistry, we very well could have a remarkable year....

:rolleyes:

There was a 4 or 5 game stretch during conf play where Gabe looked like a 1st team B1G player. He needs more consistency and confidence, but the God-given ability is there to play in the NBA. That being said, Euro salaries can be pretty darn good. However, if he develops a niche such as a great offensive rebounder - which NBA teams look for nowadays - He could be a solid bench player for a team like the Spurs in a couple years.

There was a 4 or 5 game stretch during conf play where Gabe looked like a 1st team B1G player. He needs more consistency and confidence, but the God-given ability is there to play in the NBA. That being said, Euro salaries can be pretty darn good. However, if he develops a niche such as a great offensive rebounder - which NBA teams look for nowadays - He could be a solid bench player for a team like the Spurs in a couple years.

It could happen. NBA teams have been willing to bet on upside with athletic bigs.

Hahaaa, walnuts and pistachios are garbage. Coconut can take a hike too

Latest posts