Gabe's game improvement - nice turnaround jumper - but needs to attack the rim

uihawk82

I was at my first game of the year last nite and what a great atmosphere.

There were so many great plays by the hawks at both ends.

A couple that really caught my eye and lends itself to the next couple of years was the little turnaround jumper in the lane Gabe made and the one where he tried to take a dish and bank a layup that got blocked and stuck in the rim.

On the turnaround jumper he tried to make a move to the bucket, was blocked, and just turned, elevated , and was really separated from the defender for an easy shot. If he can hit that with regularity and develop an develop an fake and up and under move he will be very tough.

But he also has to take the dish down low and when he has the opening be super aggressive to either dunk or drop in the ball from over the rim ala Bill Walton. After the pt guard breaks down the Dee and dishes that close in that has to be a 90%+ shot.

Gabe already seems to be a plus at the defensive end and should only get better there.

Next couple of years could have some great frontline play.

I thought the same thing on the dish by the rim. It seems like normally he would rise and throw down in that case, may have been caught in a bad footing position. His improvement has been great and makes a great player off the bench for the Hawks without losing, and maybe gaining, at the defensive end.

I really like Woody but as rapidly as Olaseni has been developing I think he is the better Center right now. I thought this back when I first seen them play in the Black and Gold Shootout. That is no knock on Woody either.

You know (I'll duck now)....Gabe may very well be starting ahead of Woody next year.....

Woodbury is still better than Gabe defensively. Gabe makes the flashy defensive plays but he also gets out of position, especially on high pick and rolls, than Woody.

Woodbury is still better than Gabe defensively. Gabe makes the flashy defensive plays but he also gets out of position, especially on high pick and rolls, than Woody.

True, but Woody fouls more, and, Gabe is faster/stronger and just plain more athletic. Woody really needs some muscle and to develop his offense.

You can't teach 7' 1", but you also can't teach 6' 11" (and one who can run like a gazelle and jump like a flea in a hot skillet)

I base my opinion on this year's development. *If* it should continue at present course, Gabe will be starting...hands down.

Honestly I said this after the Shootout, it looked to me that Fran promised Woodbury the starting job when he recruited him.

Never thought about this, but, you're probably right on.

Year two however, all bets are off. Time for player playing the best to play the most.

[/B]
Never thought about this, but, you're probably right on.

Year two however, all bets are off. Time for player playing the best to play the most.

That's how Fran has dealt with the two of them all year, who starts has no bearing on who plays more.

That's how Fran has dealt with the two of them all year, who starts has no bearing on who plays more.

When Woodbury is in there the game seems to chance a lot in favor of Iowa. When Olesani is in the it seems like a good thing for Iowa. Put twenty five pounds of muscle on Woodbury and his game will be a lot better. Olesani should be a lot stronger next year too. Its good for Iowa. It will be interesting when we have a six ten two hundred and fifty pound power forward in Meyer to play alongside of them. Basabe and White will also develop next year. I think McCabe is probably the best shooter of all of them and pretty smart in his game, but I doubt he is as athletic.

You know (I'll duck now)....Gabe may very well be starting ahead of Woody next year.....

If you've watched the rapid improvement by Gabe this season and know how little hoops he has played in his life combined with his raw athleticism ....

he looks like and i predict by his senior year the name he'll be compared to is

Hakeem Olajawon

If you've watched the rapid improvement by Gabe this season and know how little hoops he has played in his life combined with his raw athleticism ....

he looks like and i predict by his senior year the name he'll be compared to is

Hakeem Olajawon

LOL

It is strange to me how little respect Adam garners from some on this board.
I mean, really, Adam on the whole hasn't been better than Gabe? It's hard for me to believe any person really sees it that way.

I mean, really, Adam on the whole hasn't been better than Gabe? It's hard for me to believe any person really sees it that way.

Adam is playing well. Both have their strengths that might be a little different than the other guy. gabe a better leaper, woody maybe better footwork on dee and able to keep guys from making their move. Woody more offensive moves and a better jumper but he needs to start knocking down more shots.

I dont think either will play 30 minutes a game next year so just enjoy both of them, each one can play about 20 min a game and we will have a two headed monster in the post

Gabe makes the flashy blocks and dunks that people notice. The things Adam do well don't stand out as much, it pretty much comes down to that.

When Woodbury is in there the game seems to chance a lot in favor of Iowa. When Olesani is in the it seems like a good thing for Iowa. Put twenty five pounds of muscle on Woodbury and his game will be a lot better. Olesani should be a lot stronger next year too. Its good for Iowa. It will be interesting when we have a six ten two hundred and fifty pound power forward in Meyer to play alongside of them. Basabe and White will also develop next year. I think McCabe is probably the best shooter of all of them and pretty smart in his game, but I doubt he is as athletic.

I'm starting to think Basabe is the best shooter on the team.

Gabe will be a fantastic energy, bench player for us the next couple of years. Never expected that from him at the beginning of the year.

Latest posts