FYI Hawks on TV

I'm 41, a third generation Boston/Milwaukee/Atlanta Braves fan. But also a huge Cubs fan as my second team.

When I was a kid the Cubs were baseball heaven for boys my age. Wrigley didn't have lights so there were always day games to watch when we were at home in the summer while mom and dad worked, and all of 'em were on WGN. It was a ritual to go to my rec sports stuff in the morning, come home, grab a snack and sprawl out on the couch to watch the Cubs all through the 80s. I felt like I knew Harry Caray and Steve Stone better than some of my own friends.
I'm not a fan of baseball but I grew up in the 80's like you - used to watch tons of their games with my grandma who was a huge fan. If I did have a team it would be the Cubs. I watched their entire post season run when they won the WS a few years back, was a lot of fun.

I'm not a fan of baseball
giphy.gif

I'm 41, a third generation Boston/Milwaukee/Atlanta Braves fan. But also a huge Cubs fan as my second team.

When I was a kid the Cubs were baseball heaven for boys my age. Wrigley didn't have lights so there were always day games to watch when we were at home in the summer while mom and dad worked, and all of 'em were on WGN. It was a ritual to go to my rec sports stuff in the morning, come home, grab a snack and sprawl out on the couch to watch the Cubs all through the 80s. I felt like I knew Harry Caray and Steve Stone better than some of my own friends.

When school was on I used to rush home to catch the end of the Cubs games on WGN.

My 2nd favorite team was the Braves because they were on TBS. I used to be a big Dale Murphy and Bob Horner when I was a kid.

I've been one my entire life as well. Marquee is what did it for me. If they offered an online streaming service I would have purchased one, but I don't see that option.

Yea, miss the WGN and other station days when it was easier and they were on every game.

Not completely sure your age. It doesn't seem like I missed too many games from my pre-teen years up until the Marquee change. I'm 50 now and don't care to chase it anymore since is difficult. I don't feel like caving in to the broadcasters. Not sure your age, but wouldn't surprise me if is the same for you as well. Eventually, it doesn't seem like that much of a priority.

I turn 50 in August so we grew up watching the same stuff. I was 12 when the Cubs blew their chance at a WS in 1984, I cried like a big baby and got in trouble the next day at school because I hit the first kid that looked at me wrong.

I still hate Steve Garvey.

Grew up in Philadelphia, my father was from Boston but loved the Yankees

He took me to watch the Boston Red Sox play the Philadelphia A's to see
Ted Williams

There was a triple play and the stadium was going nuts, my Dad turned to me
and I was reading a comic book

I have always liked the Red Sox and loved Manny Ramirez

Los mejores jonroneros en postemporada en Grandes Ligas - Diario Libre

I turn 50 in August so we grew up watching the same stuff. I was 12 when the Cubs blew their chance at a WS in 1984, I cried like a big baby and got in trouble the next day at school because I hit the first kid that looked at me wrong.

I still hate Steve Garvey.
About how I felt in the 90s. From '91 to '05 the braves won their division 14 times and only won a single WS out of 5 appearances. Not as rough as what Cub fans had since they at least won one, but 14 times in the playoffs in 15 years just by chance there should be a couple more.

Grew up in Philadelphia, my father was from Boston but loved the Yankees

He took me to watch the Boston Red Sox play the Philadelphia A's to see
Ted Williams

There was a triple play and the stadium was going nuts, my Dad turned to me
and I was reading a comic book

I have always liked the Red Sox and loved Manny Ramirez

Los mejores jonroneros en postemporada en Grandes Ligas - Diario Libre
Was never an AL fan, but I rooted for the Sox because I hate the shit outta the Yankees.

My sports hatred goes

1) nebraska
2) ISU
3) Yankees

Hahahah blahh it's so damn slow. I never played baseball as a kid which probably explains why I don't enjoy it. I played a shit ton of soccer though which probably explains why I appreciate it more.

Wait, baseball moves to slow, but you're a soccer fan? Does not compute.

1647459008540.png

1647459120412.png

"Another reason that baseball is considered boring by many people are the long gaps in between game action. Some whole innings can go by without a batted ball being put into play. Although strikeouts can be exciting to some, others enjoy seeing the ball batted and fielded."

Wait, baseball moves to slow, but you're a soccer fan? Does not compute.
Yeah there's a hell of a lot more action in soccer than baseball. At the very base level there are always more than one to two people simply moving at a time. There's a lot of other ways to watch people standing around if I really wanted to ;) The average soccer player runs 7 miles per game. Baseball? Around 200 feet.

Last edited:
Was never an AL fan, but I rooted for the Sox because I hate the shit outta the Yankees.

My sports hatred goes

1) nebraska
2) ISU
3) Yankees
Cubs fan through and through. If I had a favorite American league team growing up it was probably the Royals.

You should ditch the dish and go YouTube TV. Waaaaay cheaper, no contract, and the DVR functions are head and shoulders above any dish or cable provider.

For sports, you just select what teams you want whether it's college, pro, or otherwise, and YTTV automatically records every single thing. I told it three years ago to record Hawk MBB, FB, baseball, and wrestling, and I've never had to set anything again for the Hawks. You can also select entire sports. Like mine is set to record all B1G wrestling. Never have to mess with it.

In fact, when I got home last night and turned it on, YTTV had a menu pop up with all 68 tourney teams and asked me which ones I want to record for the whole tournament. I love it. And it's cheaper.
Ya, you can't beat YouTube tv for the DVR function. You can put in your favorite teams and they record all of them. Plus you can watch live or start from the beginning. Nice when you come home from work and ff through the commercials.

Latest posts