Future of Black Friday

guffus

https://www.landof10.com/iowa/iowa-black-friday-football-nebraska-wisconsin

If you read between the lines, I am guessing that the Big Ten is negotiating to have a Black Friday doubleheader in 2020. Nebraska-Minnesota followed by Iowa-Wisconsin.

This could be the start of a new Black Friday tradition where there is double header each year involving Nebraska, Iowa, Minnesota and Wisconsin. Just the actual oponents are rotated every 2 years.

Last edited:
https://www.landof10.com/iowa/iowa-black-friday-football-nebraska-wisconsin

If you read between the lines, I am guessing that the Big Ten is negotiating to have a Black Friday doubleheader in 2019. Nebraska-Minnesota followed by Iowa-Wisconsin.

This could be the start of a new Black Friday tradition where there is double header each year involving Nebraska, Iowa, Minnesota and Wisconsin. Just the actual oponents are rotated every 2 years.

Badgers should be thrilled.

I actually like that idea. There's already existing or budding rivalries between each team (the popular term on r/CFB is the "Quadrangle of Hate"), so to have a day seperate from a lot of other rivalry games seems pretty neat. Plus the Big Ten will love all the extra viewers they'll get from having 2 of the more interesting/watchable matchups of Black Friday every year.

In order to have a rivalry, don't you need competition? Wisconsin has dominated Iowa for the last decade, Minnesota for the last decade and a half, and Nebraska since they joined the B1G

In order to have a rivalry, don't you need competition? Wisconsin has dominated Iowa for the last decade, Minnesota for the last decade and a half, and Nebraska since they joined the B1G

All time series is at 46-43-2. If that's not a rivalry...

I understand your point about how rivalries don't involve one team always beating the other, but would you not consider Michigan a rival of Ohio State? I'd be surprised if I found that a majority of Ohio State fans saying they wouldn't consider Michigan a rival because of their decade and a half worth of dominance in the matchup. My point being is that I think all three of the schools you mentioned are rivals in some way to Wisconsin even though Wisconsin currently has the upper hand against all of them.

By that argument, OSU vs Michigan isn't a rivalry anymore.

Rivalries don't just go away because one team has a sustained period of success over the other. If they did they wouldn't be rivalries in the first place. Ask a Virginia fan how much they hate VT, even though they haven't beat them in 14 seasons, and VT revels in that fact.

Last edited:
Whisky has won the last two. Go back and check the last 10 years, they may have won more games but they were far from dominating Iowa.

Wisconsin 6 wins Iowa 3 wins in the last 9, Wisconsin leads 12-7 over the last 19. 12-7 is not really "domination"

Whisky has won the last two. Go back and check the last 10 years, they may have won more games but they were far from dominating Iowa.
I think the two years we didn't play them after losing the heartbreaker in 2010 helps set up the notion of Wisconsin "domination". They've had our number recently, for sure, but all of them minus last year and '13 were tight games.

Being originally from NW Iowa I guess I'd prefer sticking with playing Nebraska. But I feel playing on Black Friday is a given. Who we play isn't as big of a deal. I won't be bent out of shape if they change it to Wisky. Just keep it on that Friday

I have an absolutely great reason to hope we don't play on Black Friday. When we do, especially when we are on the road to Lincoln, I miss Thanksgiving dinner prepared by my daughter and grand daughters and have to eat leftovers at their house on Saturday. Sucks.

I have an absolutely great reason to hope we don't play on Black Friday. When we do, especially when we are on the road to Lincoln, I miss Thanksgiving dinner prepared by my daughter and grand daughters and have to eat leftovers at their house on Saturday. Sucks.

You skip that for Iowa football? Dude...

Didn't want to start a new thread to say this.

Black Friday just isn't special anymore. It used to be a game without other games on TV... this year there are 16 other games

1637797999667.png

Didn't want to start a new thread to say this.

Black Friday just isn't special anymore. It used to be a game without other games on TV... this year there are 16 other games

View attachment 8353

Looks like Cincinnati vs. East Carolina and San Diego State vs. Boise State are the big Black Friday games with something on the line.

At least the Boise State game is away, so they can avoid any smurf-turf induced nausea the day after Thanksgiving.

It’s just like bowl games. They used to mean something and be “special,” but now they’re dumb.

Same thing with Thanksgiving NFL games. Took away the tradition of only being Detroit and Dallas and added a third. NFL must have needed more money…that’s why the NCAA teams did it. Money.

Personally I like it, more variety and I enjoy having games to watch. This year doesn’t matter much as I’ll be taking my son to Carver and watching the basketball game.