Future Football Schedules

rodthompson

Does anyone know if we had an opponent fall through scheduling wise the couple of years?

Otherwise it is hard to explain why our non-conference scheduling is so incredibly soft. I think it would do a lot for the program to schedule some tougher games to gain more national prominence. At the very least another BCS program outside of the Clones. And that is a no-win game for Iowa. We win and we were supposed to, we lose and it's a terrible loss.

Or is is just so much about the money now?

I know the Hawks had a two game series with UConn scheduled, but it was canceled - not sure why.

The weak schedules are due to a home and home with NIU rather than the usual home and home with a BCS school. It gives us an appearance in Chicago, which I think is a good thing.

To do the NIU HaH while also doing a BCS HaH would mean a year with only 6 home games.

I saw a stat a few years back that showed IA plays a lot more 'BCS' schools (Like Pitt, AZ, and always ISU) OOC than most Big Ten teams. Which is why we ALWAYS seem to lose 1 or 2 before the Big 10. Unlike WIS, who hasn't lost in OOC game in 10 years!! WHich is why they are averaging like 10 wins a year over the last 7 or 8 yrs. We also don't play 8 home games like IL is doing this yr and Mich and PSU like to do. I wish we would because, as you know those 6 or 7 home games 'finance' almost the entire athletic budget.

I have no problem with our OOC schedule being too 'light'.

We went through FBS schedules recently and Iowa has a stronger non-con schedule than most comparable B1G teams. ESPECIALLY Mich State and Wisco.. two of the schools that notoriously schedule weak non-con schedules.

Does anyone know if we had an opponent fall through scheduling wise the couple of years?

Otherwise it is hard to explain why our non-conference scheduling is so incredibly soft. I think it would do a lot for the program to schedule some tougher games to gain more national prominence. At the very least another BCS program outside of the Clones. And that is a no-win game for Iowa. We win and we were supposed to, we lose and it's a terrible loss.

Or is is just so much about the money now?

Hayden Fry was the originator of our OOC cupcake parade. His first few years in IC had teams like Nebraska, Oklahoma, Arizona, UCLA, Penn State and a few others. Plus, the annual game against ISU.

His reasoning, at the time, was pretty solid, IMO. He said we kept getting to the Big 10 part of the schedule with less-than-full rosters. Guys were getting beat up/injured, and it left us short-handed from the get-go.

While playing cupcakes doesn't "prevent injury", it at least gave the opportunity to pull starters for a good part of the second half.

Latest posts