Funny anecdote about interaction between Ferentz and Rhoads....

Mesaclone

Banned
at a fundraiser in Des Moines recently.

Apparently, Ferentz was auctioning off free access to an Iowa football practice along with a football autographed by himself...all the money going for charity of course. Well, from the midst of the crowd, Coach Rhoads stands up and asks if he can "pick which practice he gets to come to" if he's the high bidder.:D

Hilarious...and nice to see they're both doing some nice charity work as well. A couple of very high class coaches...and the state is lucky to have 'em.

It's not like Rhodes would learn much. If you ask the "experts" on this board, most coaches already know exactly what we are going to run.

seems like both have a good sense of humor but like to play their cards close to their vest.

rhoads is a significant upgrade from the last guy. but i really liked coach mac, and this is coming from an iowa guy. getting rid of him is comparable to how Mr. Davis went out. hopefully better things are in store for the clones.

seems like both have a good sense of humor but like to play their cards close to their vest.

rhoads is a significant upgrade from the last guy. but i really liked coach mac, and this is coming from an iowa guy. getting rid of him is comparable to how Mr. Davis went out. hopefully better things are in store for the clones.

Don't get me wrong, Chizek seemed like a slime bag but he did just win the national championship. I think it might be a stretch at this point to call rhodes a significant upgrade over a national championship winner.

Last edited:
Don't get me wrong, Chizek seemed like a slime bag but he did just win the national championship. I think it might be a stretch at this point to call rhodes a significant upgrade over a national championship winner.

Oh please. Chizik couldn't do s*it when he wasn't allowed to cheat. He's an average coach who can only win when boosters' pocketbooks give him a recruiting edge. There's a reason that he wanted a team priest or whatever: "men of the cloth" make for EXCELLENT middle men.

Rhoads is a MUCH better fit for ISU, therefore he is a significant upgrade.

That took place last night at the Character Counts banquet. The punchline to the story is that after Rhoads made that statement, Mr. Willis, the autioneer, said that Ferentz said that Rhoads wouldn't be able to understand what they were doing even if he did come to the practice.

Much like all things I’d guess the truth lies somewhere in between……….I’m no Chiz fan but he is a better coach than ISU fans think he is and probably not as good as Cam Newton made him look.

I will tell you the Mr. Davis analogy is a good one. Like Mr. Davis, Mac had gone about as far as he was going to go at ISU and most if not 90% of the fan base were ready for him to move on (though for the record lots and lots of Iowa fans deny that now, but we know the truth) in which case they segued to a seemingly pompous arse, Chiz/Alford who was likely a better coach and less of an arse than the fans were willing to admit. To a Lickliter (maybe Rhoads time will tell) who is also undoubtedly a better coach than he appeared to look like………..

One thing about ISU they are not overly talented and I’m not sure Rhoads is really upgrading said talent all that much……In fact they were never as talented as they were back around 2002 to 2005. They have some pockets of talent, but they are a long ways away on that front. And honestly some of their players actually digressed last year, while some (Knott/Klein) did obviously improve…………

Wr play did not however…

Nor did O-line play………

Nor did QB play……….

Nor did DB play………..

Chad

Last edited:
That took place last night at the Character Counts banquet. The punchline to the story is that after Rhoads made that statement, Mr. Willis, the autioneer, said that Ferentz said that Rhoads wouldn't be able to understand what they were doing even if he did come to the practice.

Now that is funny.

Considering the Hawks have outscored his team 70-10 in two games, Rhoads would probably do well to attend an Iowa practice.

And we still win BCS games.

time for some new signature quotes, chappy
maybe something to do with turning the other cheek, or exercising tolerance for those with opinions that differ from your own

People forget/don't mention that Chizik dumped 90% of his ISU coaching staff when he went to Auburn. Seems like he had to clean up his own messes within the staff and start over.

Auburn most likely won't have another heisman trophy winner this fall, and probably won't have one of the top 2 or 3 most disruptive interior defensive linemen in the nation this fall. At the college level, having 2 completely elite players on a national scale will do wonders for your team...especially at such critical positions. Haven't checked AU's OOC schedule, but wouldn't be surprised of they go 6-6. They return what may be the fewest returning starters from the championship team.

We'll see just how good Chizik and his staff are this year as 75% of the starters turn over.

I have a hard time believing Chizik will fail at this point. He won a championship for a team that really doesnt have much trouble recruiting. Maybe if his coaching staff left him, he may struggle a bit. Drives me crazy how lucky he got.

One thing about ISU they are not overly talented and I’m not sure Rhoads is really upgrading said talent all that much……In fact they were never as talented as they were back around 2002 to 2005. They have some pockets of talent, but they are a long ways away on that front. And honestly some of their players actually digressed last year, while some (Knott/Klein) did obviously improve…………
Wr play did not however…
Nor did O-line play………
Nor did QB play……….
Nor did DB play………..

In Chizik's last year(08) and Rhoads 1st year they both had a good deal of McCarney's upperclassmen on the roster. Not only did Rhoads win more games against virtually the same schedule(OOC opponents were comparable), he did so while ISU allowed nearly 13 less points per game in 08. 13 is a HUGE number of improvement. Jesse Smith also came out of nowhere to be named Big 12 1st team LB. Simms was Big 12 defensive newcomer of the year. Chizik had no one close to getting such accolades.
Rhoads better understands how to win at ISU by running the ball and eating clock/shortening the game instead of trying to win shoot-outs in the Big 12 like Chizik did. Tackling also dramatically improved under Rhoads. Rhoads used the word "disgusted" to characterise his thoughts on ISU's tackling ability when he got the job.

You can debate who is a better coach all you want, but Rhoads has a better schematic plan to compete at ISU. Chizik may very well is better suited elsewhere than Rhoads, but not at ISU. Rhoads also got 2,000+ yards from Robinson the last 2 seasons. He's gotten some legit production from a key position...Chizik had no such excellence anywhere on the field.

based on your 2010 assessments.
WR play remained the same, but theres been plenty of nagging injuries within that unit. Collin Franklins(TE) 54 catches still gave them a go to guy in the passing game. Rhoads personally addressed the WR situation and replaced the WR position coach this spring.

OL play was not as good in 2010. Clones lost an NFL draft pick, and other starter late due to academic issues on that unit. They played poorly in the 1st 3-4 games for sure, before getting better. in 09, ISU did run for 2300+ yards. A number which even Iowa rarely has approached during the last 6-7 years. Only Greene's big 08 season(1800 yds) has eclipsed that total ISU flat out had a huge rushing year in 09, and only gave up something like 16-18 sacks that year. That's a pretty high bar that Rhoads guys set in year 1.

Arnauds QB play actually improved in Rhoads system in 2010 as the year went on. Austen began the season throwing 1 TD and 5 picks vs Northern Illinois and Iowa. After that he threw 12 TD's to 5 INTs to finish the season. Arnaud wasn't a lofty yardage total guy in Rhoads system, but he was a major reason they managed to beat Tech and Texas by throwing 6 TDs in those games. There was a stretch in the middle of the season where ISU scored TDs on 15 of 17 redzone possessions. Arnaud played a huge role in all those successful trips.

DB's struggled some last year, but until Lattimer emerged the Clones has NO pass rush. Can't expect much when the team had less than 10 sacks all year, and put virtually no pressure on most QBs. Clones losing Lyle and Frere to graduation meant they lost their best 2 DL from 09.

Rhoads has had very little attrition with his classes since 09. Bottom line, he's got a much wider base of options to choose from going forward for competition at practically every position. Something Mac didn't have late in his career, and something Chizik didn't have time to build up because he had to pull in far to many JUCOs just to fill holes across the board.

Latest posts