Funny anecdote about interaction between Ferentz and Rhoads....

To stay on track with the OP poster's message: Thanks for sharing. That was actually pretty funny! It is nice to see the coaches have a good sense of humor. Yes, they are competitors but at the end of the day they are just regular guys, too.

In Chizik's last year(08) and Rhoads 1st year they both had a good deal of McCarney's upperclassmen on the roster. Not only did Rhoads win more games against virtually the same schedule(OOC opponents were comparable), he did so while ISU allowed nearly 13 less points per game in 08. 13 is a HUGE number of improvement. Jesse Smith also came out of nowhere to be named Big 12 1st team LB. Simms was Big 12 defensive newcomer of the year. Chizik had no one close to getting such accolades.
Rhoads better understands how to win at ISU by running the ball and eating clock/shortening the game instead of trying to win shoot-outs in the Big 12 like Chizik did. Tackling also dramatically improved under Rhoads. Rhoads used the word "disgusted" to characterise his thoughts on ISU's tackling ability when he got the job.

You can debate who is a better coach all you want, but Rhoads has a better schematic plan to compete at ISU. Chizik may very well is better suited elsewhere than Rhoads, but not at ISU. Rhoads also got 2,000+ yards from Robinson the last 2 seasons. He's gotten some legit production from a key position...Chizik had no such excellence anywhere on the field.

based on your 2010 assessments.
WR play remained the same, but theres been plenty of nagging injuries within that unit. Collin Franklins(TE) 54 catches still gave them a go to guy in the passing game. Rhoads personally addressed the WR situation and replaced the WR position coach this spring.

OL play was not as good in 2010. Clones lost an NFL draft pick, and other starter late due to academic issues on that unit. They played poorly in the 1st 3-4 games for sure, before getting better. in 09, ISU did run for 2300+ yards. A number which even Iowa rarely has approached during the last 6-7 years. Only Greene's big 08 season(1800 yds) has eclipsed that total ISU flat out had a huge rushing year in 09, and only gave up something like 16-18 sacks that year. That's a pretty high bar that Rhoads guys set in year 1.

Arnauds QB play actually improved in Rhoads system in 2010 as the year went on. Austen began the season throwing 1 TD and 5 picks vs Northern Illinois and Iowa. After that he threw 12 TD's to 5 INTs to finish the season. Arnaud wasn't a lofty yardage total guy in Rhoads system, but he was a major reason they managed to beat Tech and Texas by throwing 6 TDs in those games. There was a stretch in the middle of the season where ISU scored TDs on 15 of 17 redzone possessions. Arnaud played a huge role in all those successful trips.

DB's struggled some last year, but until Lattimer emerged the Clones has NO pass rush. Can't expect much when the team had less than 10 sacks all year, and put virtually no pressure on most QBs. Clones losing Lyle and Frere to graduation meant they lost their best 2 DL from 09.

Rhoads has had very little attrition with his classes since 09. Bottom line, he's got a much wider base of options to choose from going forward for competition at practically every position. Something Mac didn't have late in his career, and something Chizik didn't have time to build up because he had to pull in far to many JUCOs just to fill holes across the board.

Best post I have ever read on this site. I believe the biggest issue Rhoads has had to deal with in his first two years is a lack of bodies. Just not enough players that fit their role. So many players leaving the program and not enough depth at key positions. He has certainly changed this. And while I can't guarantee ISU will beat Iowa this year I certainly think our talent levels are the closest they have been in three years and I look for ISU to pull out a close one in September.

Latest posts