Fun while it lasted

Every game now is a clear toss up (maybe besides Illinois) now. I'm even questioning if we win can the West. The offense is regressing and Brohm gave the rest of the league a blue print on how to be effective against our defense.

2 weeks to come up with something better.
Really it was the CSU game that set this up, mobile QB with big offensive line and a couple of good receivers then spread out Iowa and make them have to pull a defender to shadow the QB. They just didn't have the D and horses to keep the lead.

Hopefully the Bye week has a major impact for Iowa!

Minn offense was down to 3rd string RB but coming off bye week, offense was crisp today and upset Neb.
Purdue was limping 2 weeks ago, bye week, get some health, fresh pass rush, play 3 QB's and all goes perfect.

Been grinding since end of July.
5 game season starting in 2 weeks.
Go Hawks!

Think about that, Brohm has confidence in 3 QB's !!!! Iowa only thinks one is capable of playing. Even when the one is struggling like a rookie.

I'm with you, we were playing with house money. #2 at the halfway point of the season, who saw that?

Excellent game plan for Purdue. O'Connell played out of his mind. A hungover Iowa team (I suspect).

It hurts, but onto Wisconsin.
I watched wusky army game last night. There struggles on O are obvious . It's there so always a problem for Iowa. I think we win a close one

Every game now is a clear toss up (maybe besides Illinois) now. I'm even questioning if we win can the West. The offense is regressing and Brohm gave the rest of the league a blue print on how to be effective against our defense.

2 weeks to come up with something better.
I posted in another thread. Brohm has resorted to this same blue print for five years yet no one else can seem to replicate it.

I'm with you, we were playing with house money. #2 at the halfway point of the season, who saw that?

Excellent game plan for Purdue. O'Connell played out of his mind. A hungover Iowa team (I suspect).

It hurts, but onto Wisconsin.
Hurts is a strong word.

Disappointing would probably be more appropriate.

In forty four years of watching Iowa athletics I can remember three losses that actually hurt.

1980 national semi final vs Louisville
1987 regional final vs UNLV
2015 BTT vs Michigan State

Defense exposed as weak against the sideline pass. We had the same problem last week but got fortunate that Penn States back up QB had a weak arm and couldn’t get it out to the outside

There isn’t a QB left who can make that throw at least

Perhaps we will win the West next year. Was really hoping it would have been this year.
I understand your frustration. Purdue has had our number even when we are/were the better team. Reminds me of how well we have done against Penn State when clearly they have the higher recruited players.

Take Bell out of the equation and they are just another average to below average offense. Case in point in that they weren’t exactly breaking records in their running game. Bell will be playing on Sundays for sure.

I would have doubled teamed him. One player in his jersey and the other playing a softer coverage to prevent the deep ball. Look at this way how could double teaming him have been worse, but what do I know.

I fully expect our defense to recover.

Offense??? Just shaking my head. I made a suggestion in another one of my comments to go to the spread and take snap and have ball out of hand within three seconds. The offensive receiver has the advantage in that he knows where the ball is going and should get to point B before the defender ever does. Snap the ball, throw or fake the throw and step back and hand it off to Goodson. Being in the spread prevents packing seven guys in the box and gives Goodson some running lanes. I also like the short passes just past the linebackers to Goodson. Get him out into the open and let him do the rest.

Unfortunately sometimes former offensive lineman don’t always make the best play callers. Not always the quickest thinkers, and most creative play developers……… UGH, UGH, go hit other player hard, UGH, UGH. Wait wasn’t Kirk a ………….. well maybe that explains it. Hey coach go hire someone with a dynamic offense and step aside and let them do their thing. Maybe it’s a mental thing like hoarding. The new term………. Offensive Hoarding, lol. Holding on to the old ways and never able to let go. I used to call it being a control freak.

Anyways back to my main point. I think our defense will be just good enough to pull us through the rest of the way………….. then comes Ohio State in the conference championship game………….. well that was fun while it lasted (redo Purdue). Unless Brian reaches out to some of his NFL associates and get some advice and changes things up enough to get some sort of offense going.

Just remember every minute that our offense is on the field, means the opponents offense isn’t. Also remember this, given the ass kicking Bell gave us they only score 24 points. IF ONLY Brian had figured out a way to get a few more first downs, that would have meant Purdue and Bell would have been on the field that much less.

Not to be mean but I really think Brian is more suited for tight end coach.

Last edited:
Think about that, Brohm has confidence in 3 QB's !!!! Iowa only thinks one is capable of playing. Even when the one is struggling like a rookie.
I may be crazy, but I think when you're bringing in QB's to be more than just game managers its probably easier to do. We're not expecting our QB (or offense) to win us games. They are and I think it's easier to have confidence or the comfort level to switch back and fourth when you're looking at that position to win games as opposed to making the smart decisions and not turning the ball over.