Fuller still not heard from?

Re: You really would have a hard time comprehending...

Fuller leaving? It's a new coach. That in and of itself is a big reason. I would disagree on how bad/good this would be for McCaffery. It would be bad from the standpoint of losing one of our most talented players. But it would pale in comparison to the Peterson, Kelly and to a lesser extent Freeman transfers had on the Lickliter program. Those guys all decided to stay (or in Peterson's case, come to Iowa). After time in Lickliter's program, they couldn't wait to get out. Peterson was facing two years of starting and playing 30+ minutes a game and said "no thanks." Same for Kelly. Yes, Kelly's mother died, but he played for a whole year at Iowa after she died and before going to Indiana State. How many transfers do you see of guys who are getting major minutes at a power conference school leave for middling Mo Valley teams? You just don't. Yet Iowa had it happen twice.
I don't hold Smith against Lickliter, due to the coaching change. If he was considering leaving even while Alford was there (I believe he was), then a coaching change provided the natural out.

My hunch with Fuller is that he was 99% sure he was leaving if Lickliter was here, probably had even determined where he was going, or had narrowed it down to a couple of schools. Then Iowa gets a new coach, and now he's re-assessing what's going on. If McCaffery convinces a guy from the West Coast--who had already made up his mind to leave--to buy in and stay for two more years here, then he will have shown some serious recruiting chops right away.

Agreed. I hope Fuller stays. But it is hardly on McCaffery if he leaves (which I think he does.) That will give McCaffery the opportunity to begin brining in more talent to a program crying out for it.

That's funny because all everyone had said when Lick was coach, was "We don't have the players". Now, all of a sudden we have a new coach and we have the talent?????

To be honest, I think Lick's style actually WON us more games this last year than lost, given our roster.

For myself I thought we had some talent just not deep enough and lacking at PG and Center. Two key positions when you are trying to play a grind it out style. PG especially frustrated me as I didn't see any urgence to identify a true PG.

If everybody would have stayed I was willing to give Lick another year because I thought the recruiting class did have some talent and younger players did look good in moments. However if players were leaving again I was glad the change was made.

Lick's main problem didn't appear to be identifying talent to at least field a competitive team...it was keeping those guys hear long enough to gel.

I thought all along with another ball-handler that next year's team could at least make the NIT. Obviously if Fuller leaves that won't be the case. It won't damn Caff in my eyes (I would think it has more to do with the situation Iowa basketball was in) it will just make his job much tougher. I really hope Fuller stays.

To be honest, I think Lick's style actually WON us more games this last year than lost, given our roster.
Sorry to disagree, but I think Lick's style cost us quite a few games over the 3-year period. I believe many coaches would have won more games with the players that were here.

If Fuller leaves it's not a bad check mark for coach. However, if he stays, it's a "good" check mark.

Fuller may have had his mind made up. It would have very little reflection on coach Fran. Everytime a new coach comes to a program there is going to be some turnover. Fuller may be sick of Iowa City, Iowa's fans or just want a change. I have seen starters on Divison 1 teams just simply quit playing because they do not enjoy it anymore. Either way the new coach will probably have the best chance of anyone to convince him that Iowa is where it is best for him to be.

That's funny because all everyone had said when Lick was coach, was "We don't have the players". Now, all of a sudden we have a new coach and we have the talent?????

Bull. One look at the final game against Michigan will tell you we'd have won 10-15 more games during his tenure if he would have tried mixing things up a little.
Stubborn as a mule doesn't even fit here.

Latest posts