Frontcourt depth

I would say 30 minutes of Kaminski and 10 minutes from some rando is better than 40 minutes of Woody and Olaseni. That is unless they improve a lot in the off season which could very well happen.

Nigel Hayes will be better than those two combined....They better improve a helluva lot in the off-season.....Woody - too slow, Gabe - too erratic...one game he's scoring, moving, dunking, the next he's turning the ball over, gets lost on defense....I think you will see the same this year out of those guys....that's why Whitey needs to step up huge and be way more of a factor...senior season, balls to the wall out of him....

Iowa had a lot of problems with spacing in the half court and that is why I think its funny that people want to see woody and gabe in at the same time. That would destroy the halfcourt offense. Not enough room for 2 big men to work.

We played 3 big men at the same time last year.

Two big men and 3 on the perimeter has been fairly standard in basketball for a long time. I don't see much difference in Gabe and Basabe other than height.

All Basabe was asked to do was rebound, set picks and contest shots, aka be a power forward. Gabe could do that fine. It's not like he's a back to the basket guy. He can hit a jumper to 15 feet.

Woodbury is also a capable passer and shooter from the high post if need be.

I think it would work fine for stretches.

You give up something with two bigs but you also gain something, rebounding.

Kentucky played two true bigs at all times and basically offensive rebounded their way to the title game.

exactly. also, atwood was being recruited as a 4 (one of the reasons he went asu is that they told him they saw him as a 3) -- that recruitment, plus white's all-conference season at the 3, suggests that fran may keep him there.

whether its a 4 problem or a 3 problem, its still a forward problem.

how many times did we see teams take advantage of weak interior defense and weak rebounding last year (yes, the team had great rebounding stats -- we also saw physical 4s push our kids around in march and april)? basabe and mccabe had some strength and some toughness, which we simply haven't seen from utoff (it's not just about being "strong with the ball" -- it's about holding position on the block and in the paint, which jarrod was not effective at against more muscular 4s last year).

it's going to be a problem, and dickerson/gesell/jok/oglesby will have to step up and make this a guard-oriented team next year, unless woody makes a major offensive jump.

I think this is part of the problem. The 3 should be more of a guard than a forward (or at least a forward with guard skills). That is the way the game has moved, and that is Iowa's issue. It worked great for Iowa, until teams slowed down our transition game, and forced us into a half court game with (2) PF and a C on the court all the time.

Your opinion is wrong. Kaminsky was all Big 10, and will be a pre-season AA. AJ Hammons will be a 1st round NBA pick. Woodbury and Olesani are decent, but they are not going to be a wrecking crew, and they certainly will not be elite, even if you consider them as a pair.

Sorry, but there is absolutely no way anyone would consider Iowa to have the best centers in the B1G, unless they were a huge homer. One Kaminsky is more valuable than Woodbury and Olesani together, and it's not even close.
I'm with WindsorHawk. Kaminsky emerged last year, but he's not that far removed from Woody and Gabe, and there are two of them.

We played 3 big men at the same time last year.

Two big men and 3 on the perimeter has been fairly standard in basketball for a long time. I don't see much difference in Gabe and Basabe other than height.

All Basabe was asked to do was rebound, set picks and contest shots, aka be a power forward. Gabe could do that fine. It's not like he's a back to the basket guy. He can hit a jumper to 15 feet.

Woodbury is also a capable passer and shooter from the high post if need be.

I think it would work fine for stretches.

You give up something with two bigs but you also gain something, rebounding.

Kentucky played two true bigs at all times and basically offensive rebounded their way to the title game.

Cauly-stein, Randle, Woodbury, Olaseni. 2 of these are not like the others.

I'm with WindsorHawk. Kaminsky emerged last year, but he's not that far removed from Woody and Gabe, and there are two of them.

Kaminsky has much better footwork and post moves than the two of the them combined. Not to mention he's a better 3pt shooter than anyone on our entire roster.

Your opinion is wrong.

It's always nice to have someone with a crystal ball on the boards.

Kaminsky - I think he peaked this year and may actually slip a bit next year.

Hammons - If you like unmotivated and lazy every other game then he's your guy.

Woodbury/Olaseni - Both should be better next year. They get 10 fouls rather than 5. One could get hurt and the other is still there.

I look at the big picture and form my own "opinion." It seems you go by what others say and make declarations.

Edit - Woodbury/Olaseni = 12.2 ppg and 8.8 rpg...Kaminsky = 13.9 and 6.3...Hammons = 10.8 and 7.4

Last edited:
LOL

Hayes = 7.7 ppg and 2.8 rpg...Of course this isn't relevant since he's a 4 and I clearly made reference to Woodbury and Olaseni at the 5

The fact of the matter is we are talking about "frontcourt depth", and we are weaker than some of the other teams imo, and Nigel is more athletic than Woody and Gabe imo...but I guess we'll see starting this fall....Both of these guys need to improve their prospective positions, and forwards like Uthoff and Whitey need to really improve....this is an area of concern that I have and it may not be the belief of others but it's mine....Woody averaged 5.7 ppg and 3.9 rpg & Gabe 6.5 ppg and 4.9 rpg...Is the best they can do? My answer is yes based on what we have seen this past season, and I see it happening again, that's all I was trying to say...

It's always nice to have someone with a crystal ball on the boards.

Kaminsky - I think he peaked this year and may actually slip a bit next year.

Hammons - If you like unmotivated and lazy every other game then he's your guy.

Woodbury/Olaseni - Both should be better next year. They get 10 fouls rather than 5. One could get hurt and the other is still there.

I look at the big picture and form my own "opinion." It seems you go by what others say and make declarations.

Edit - Woodbury/Olaseni = 12.2 ppg and 8.8 rpg...Kaminsky = 13.9 and 6.3...Hammons = 10.8 and 7.4

Why are you so butthurt every single time somebody disagrees with you? The bolded portion is extremely ironic coming from you.

In my opinion, Kaminsky>Woody/Gabe>Hammons.

The fact of the matter is we are talking about "frontcourt depth", and we are weaker than some of the other teams imo, and Nigel is more athletic than Woody and Gabe imo...but I guess we'll see starting this fall....Both of these guys need to improve their prospective positions, and forwards like Uthoff and Whitey need to really improve....this is an area of concern that I have and it may not be the belief of others but it's mine....Woody averaged 5.7 ppg and 3.9 rpg & Gabe 6.5 ppg and 4.9 rpg...Is the best they can do? My answer is yes based on what we have seen this past season, and I see it happening again, that's all I was trying to say...

Gabe is clearly more athletic than Hayes. It's not even close.

To have the opinion that their averages last year are as good as they can do flys in the face of all logic and basic common sense.

Why are you so butthurt every single time somebody disagrees with you? The bolded portion is extremely ironic coming from you.

In my opinion, Kaminsky>Woody/Gabe>Hammons.
I agree with Windsor and his stats help back him up. Furthermore, Woody/Gabe's minutes will go up next year, which will increase their productivity even if they don't develop, and they obviously will. You can see it happening. WI is maxing out Kaminski's minutes now. Hammons?- please. He'll have a decent pro career but I wouldn't want him as a key piece of my team. He's in it for the paycheck.

Irrelevant

What do you mean it's irrelevant? You used Kentucky as an example of how having 2 big guys on the floor at one time can work. You said specifically that doing so led Kentucky all the way to the finals. You didn't take into acct, or maybe chose to ignore, that those guys are on another planet athletically than Iowa's 2 bigs. Over course it works fine when you have two NBA 1st round draft picks on the floor at the same time. Woody and Olaseni give you nowhere near the scoring, defense, athleticism, etc.

Last edited:
Nigel Hayes is 6'7'' 250lbs as a frosh....and he is very athletic...and can shoot a 15fter...there was a reason why he was the FOY and 6th man of the year in the league...he is that good. We have no one that can counter him in the paint...same with kaminsky...remember how he put that bucket in with 30 second left to give Wis. the lead in Carver for good? His footwork earned that huge bucket, and Gabe could not guard him. Vito Brown was the frosh center who started playing more late in the year, and will be the backup to Kam at center...and he looks pretty good himself.

Makes it even more surprising that Meyer would transfer out after sitting out a year. He must have really had the impression that he wasn't going to get any playing time.

You think we're thin next year, wait til 15-16. It's panic-city. Woody, Uhl (who is still unproven)...and then?.... Uthoff is a 3..at best a small 4.

Fran better be looking for a power JUCO guy or we're gonna get killed on the boards in 2015-16.

What do you mean it's irrelevant? You used Kentucky as an example of how having 2 big guys on the floor at one time can work. You said specifically that doing so led Kentucky all the way to the finals. You didn't take into acct, or maybe chose to ignore, that those guys are on another planet athletically than Iowa's 2 bigs. Over course it works fine when you have two NBA 1st round draft picks on the floor at the same time. Woody and Olaseni give you nowhere near the scoring, defense, athleticism, etc.

Good lord, the majority of the history of basketball is an example of how having two big men on the court works.

I clearly made no comparison to the skill level of the players, just that height helps rebounding which helps scoring.

Why did I just have to explain that?

Latest posts