From Kirk Herbstreit re: Iowa

Misery loves company. It's hard for them to watch big brother's success.

99% of Cryfans would rather see Iowa lose one of their last 5 games, than have Paw and the I'm so Pwoud team win one of their last 5 games. That is how much of a little brother they are.

He just tweeted this out, in retweeting the article I wrote last night:

"Great article. Angry? Yes. Frustrated? Yes. But, a really well written article. Makes a lot of strong points!"

Well done sir! I hope now if I watch him on Gameday he makes mention of some of your points you made in your article, such as Iowa's body of work up to this point, their recent years recruiting comparison, playing with young back up players, in particular on the line which doesn't happen much at Iowa, Iowa's Sagarrin rating, etc.. You provided a lot of facts that should be mentioned when analyzing.

I'm so glad he got to read it. It would be terrific if he admitted on air that he didn't take into account many aspects of this Iowa team.

Having all of those points in print made for a great read but respect is earned, not requested. I get that the Hawks have to campaign to some extent but it still felt whiny. Maybe if it had come out in a few weeks, it would have felt differently.

Jon, I listened to your podcast with NU's CJ Bacher. Wow, that guy was almost insufferable. You are to be commended for your poise and good nature in the face of such arrogance. I thoroughly enjoyed listening to the NU pregame Huddlecast podcast while driving home from the game.

Herbstreit is definitely a blue blood program homer on ESPN, but in my opinion is still one of the most fair minded commentators on any network.

Historically has been positive on Iowa almost to a fault.

Nailed it.

I think the original article was great.
Jon nailed the bit about all the schlubs lining up to parrot what they hear from the 3-4 people who are filling time.
It's just like when CNN/etc. came along. At 7-0, they have to talk about the Hawks. They can't roundly ignore them. There's so much TV time to fill on ESPN1, ESPN3, ESPN3, ESPNU, FoxSports and soooo many bits and bytes to take up on the interwebz that there has to be a story. An angle. A narrative. That's all they got.

I'm OK with "we just don't know".
After Illinois State, we just didn't know. Good team, for sure. But, it is still FCS/FBS.
Even after the Pitt game, we just didn't know. Because Pitt's never been bad. Pitt's also always played us well and they're style of football matches up well with Iowa.
After Iowa State, we didn't know. Because it was a weird game, and that game has not been any kind of yardstick in the last 15 years
After Wisconsin, we still didn't know, but we have some ideas.
After Illinois, we had some ideas too as Illinois didn't seem like the recent Illinois.
After Northwestern, it's hard to ignore what we might be starting to know.

There's still plenty of losable games on the schedule. They'll be crushing if we lose them. But, clearly, the number of pushovers in the Big 10 now is at an historic low point.

Even if they go 12-0, we'll know that they're really good. Special, even. It's that 13th game that will tell us if this is a historic Iowa team on a level we've never seen (fluke or no fluke). This Saturday will be good for my blood pressure, but it's going to suck.

I don't care what anybody says, that article was not whiny. People who can't argue with your facts/figures/numbers always have to rely on attacking your presentation. Solid piece, solidly presented. Angry? Yes! Frustrated? Yes! Defiant and Righteous? Hell yes!

My dad, the king of crapping on other people's favorite teams, called me after the game just to say "Nate, Iowa looked incredible against NW, and I was wrong about the win at Pitt, that was a solid win in hindsight." He never admits to being wrong. And no, my dad is not Kirk Herbstreit, but it kinda sounded like it in the moment.

I don't care what anybody says, that article was not whiny. People who can't argue with your facts/figures/numbers always have to rely on attacking your presentation. Solid piece, solidly presented. Angry? Yes! Frustrated? Yes! Defiant and Righteous? Hell yes!

My dad, the king of crapping on other people's favorite teams, called me after the game just to say "Nate, Iowa looked incredible against NW, and I was wrong about the win at Pitt, that was a solid win in hindsight." He never admits to being wrong. And no, my dad is not Kirk Herbstreit, but it kinda sounded like it in the moment.

This. The article was loaded with facts - and that's what made it legit.

Nice work, Jon. You deserve the national attention that piece is going to bring.