Friday Question: Which RB Sees More Carries?

Who Should See More Carries?

• Robinson

Votes: 39 58.2%
  • Wegher

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • If it ain't broke, don't fix it

Votes: 27 40.3%

• Total voters

JonDMiller

Publisher/Founder
Adam Robinson and Brandon Wegher have been splitting reps and series all year. Do you feel that one of the running backs should see the majority of the carries at this point in the season, and if so, why?

For me, I think Robinson has gotten better as the game goes on. Many great running backs are that way, because they get a feel for the game, and/or their offensive line settles in and things open up late. I am thinking right now, A-Rob should be the bell cow in the late third and early fourth quarters, but I still think you give Wegher his spots early to see if he can break one...he is going to bust a long one before the year is over.

100% agree. I have been saying since the Penn State game that Robinson should be getting more carries. He is simply the better RB. Robinson has the ability to break tackles and get the extra yards whereas Wegher often goes down with first contact (See the PSU game where Robinson was a monster in the 4th quarter).

Wegher probably has more speed and a better receiver and should be given a couple of series in the first half as a chance of pace, but Robinson should be getting 75% of all carries and 100% of the carries in the 4th quarter.

Last edited:
I would like to see more of both of them lining up in the backfield and Wegher motioning to the slot. You can run a base play from this, a Wegher reverse much like Chaney was running, or you can run a Wegher slant or out pattern. Wegher seems to have great hands and he does better in the open field rather than screen passes to the middle of the field. I think that is why he is such a good kick returner.

I would like to see more of both of them lining up in the backfield and Wegher motioning to the slot. You can run a base play from this, a Wegher reverse much like Chaney was running, or you can run a Wegher slant or out pattern. Wegher seems to have great hands and he does better in the open field rather than screen passes to the middle of the field. I think that is why he is such a good kick returner.

I agree with this. I think Wegher is more of a receiving threat than Robinson. I would love to see a set where they both come out in the back field and then motion Wegher out.

A-Rob, and frankly, it's not even that close. He's earned more carries, and is a lot stronger than Brandon. BW's faster and has quicker hips, but he goes down awfully easy (TWSS?). Wegher probably has slightly better field vision too, but I'd still rather see him get the ball in space rather than out of the backfield at this point. At last for the majority of snaps, anyway - he does make a great change-of-pace back, but I think it should be closer to a 70-30 or 75-25 split as opposed to 50-50 or 60-40.

That said... Wegher is gonna be awesome after another year of Doylization.

Robinson is the better back right now. He should get 75% of the carries. In the last couple of games Wegher has been running too tentitively. Does he always run with two hands on the ball? It seems that he is more worried about not fumbling then trying to get yards. He could be a big play back and probably just needs more time. I think he will be much better once he gains some confidence.

I think Robinson SHOULD get a bulk of the carries, but I have a feeling that the staff will probably give both their opportunities again this weekend. I think Kirk made it a point to reference many of the 'dead' plays that BW had last week where he was being hit in the backfield before anything could get developed. That can't be on BW...but it is strange how that happens so much more often than when AR is on the game.

I read the question wrong. I thought it meant who was going to get more this weekend. I chose ARob.

I like the rotation now. Because they are both in their first season at the college level, they could get worn down through the 12 game season. Rotating them has been great.

One of these two is going to break a long TD this year. I think in some way-shape-form Iowa scores on a 50+ yard TD this game. After rewatching the Wisconsin game there really were a lot of "dead plays" the second Wegher touched the ball. Granted, he hasn't been able to shake off tacklers as much as Robinson. But he really hasn't had the lanes either. Start with the rotation again, and evaluate after a few series. Wegher is the better receiving threat, keep in mind.

I'd keep rotating them for a couple reasons: it seems to be working and more importantly, gives the other team more nuances to prepare for. I agree with the posters that have pointed out that using both out of the backfield with Wegher moving to the slot (particularly with Chaney out) would be a nice wrinkle.

Adam Robinson and Brandon Wegher have been splitting reps and series all year. Do you feel that one of the running backs should see the majority of the carries at this point in the season, and if so, why?

For me, I think Robinson has gotten better as the game goes on. Many great running backs are that way, because they get a feel for the game, and/or their offensive line settles in and things open up late. I am thinking right now, A-Rob should be the bell cow in the late third and early fourth quarters, but I still think you give Wegher his spots early to see if he can break one...he is going to bust a long one before the year is over.

I keep thinking that about Wegher too that he's bound to break one. I just don't know. I'd like to see him in the slot a little to see if we can get him the ball in space, but I know that's a pipe dream. :)
________
Park Beach Condo Pattaya

Last edited:

I really like the two headed monster. Robinson has showed he is probably a tougher runner inside and deserves more carries late in the game. I really feel that Wegher is trying to protect the ball so much that he is not running with the same wiggle as earlier in the year. I really like wegher out of the backfield in passing plays though. They both have their own skill set.

I would have to say ARob for sure! Tho I want both of them in the game, with Wegher being used mainly as a halfback. Running as much as receiving.

Jon or anyone know what the story is with Brinson? Is his ankle cast off yet?
What are the chances he gets to see the field this year? How was he in practice, when he was healthy?

Robinson sure looks better as the game progresses. However, can he handle, physically, more carries? I have no idea, but would hate to experiment at this point in the season.

My vote is for "If it ain't broke, don't fix it".

I thought that BW maybe was wearing down a bit. He was breaking more tackles earlier in the year. He is only a few months removed from high school and has done really well, but I was thinking before I even saw this thread that perhaps we would be better served using BW on one less series per half and keep using him on Kickoff Returns, where he is really excelling right now.

I think that A-Rob is definitely developing better than Wehger. I think that Wehger needs to put on another 10-15 lbs during off season to make a great speed back that can break some tackles. If he could just break 1 tackle and create a play, he would be dominant.

Sad thing is he gets hit once and goes down. With his speed one broken tackle and some open field, he would be amazing.

Jon,

I agree with your post, except for when to use Wegher. Wouldn't it be more beneficial to utilize his speed later in the game, when the defense is tired and lost a step?

Latest posts