Freshman RB 40 times.

No you didnt

You may think you did but I doubt it was legit

ha, funny. you dont know who I am or anything about me but yet you say that.interesting. I would expect no less than that from a cyclone. PS: Wasn't about me, it's about those times, many programs have players faster than that.

For the most part the correlation between success in football and 40 time isn't that strong. The 10 and 20 yard split are more tightly correlated than the 40 for most positions. As a RB you can run a 4.6 if you have above average 10 and 20 splits. A good 10 yard split is <=1.55s for a RB. The other drills you look at are vertical jump and broad jump. More or less what this means is explosiveness and short area quickness are probably more relevant than straight line speed. Also if a guy's film doesn't match up with his timed speed it's a big minus in most scouts view(mine included). Prime example: Taylor Mays. All world athlete, awful instincts and playing speed. He's been a disaster in the NFL despite being athletically superior to nearly everyone in the league.

Mark Ingram - 5'9 215
40: 4.62
10 yard spilt: 1.55
Vert: 32
Broad: 9'10

Shonne Greene - 5'11 226
10 yard split: 1.55
Vert: 37
Broad: 10'1

Ingram and Greene have similar workout numbers.Both are guys who have very good balance as well. Both projected well, but not instant super star based on these numbers.

For the most part the correlation between success in football and 40 time isn't that strong. The 10 and 20 yard split are more tightly correlated than the 40 for most positions. As a RB you can run a 4.6 if you have above average 10 and 20 splits. A good 10 yard split is <=1.55s for a RB. The other drills you look at are vertical jump and broad jump. More or less what this means is explosiveness and short area quickness are probably more relevant than straight line speed. Also if a guy's film doesn't match up with his timed speed it's a big minus in most scouts view(mine included). Prime example: Taylor Mays. All world athlete, awful instincts and playing speed. He's been a disaster in the NFL despite being athletically superior to nearly everyone in the league.

Mark Ingram - 5'9 215
10 yard spilt: 1.55
Vert: 32
Broad: 9'10

Shonne Greene - 5'11 226
10 yard split: 1.55
Vert: 37
Broad: 10'1

Ingram and Greene have similar workout numbers.Both are guys who have very good balance as well. Both projected well, but not instant super star based on these numbers.

Based on the 40 times and splits of these 2 players above, Coker is easily above 5 and his split isn't that low either. When Greene and Ingram got in the open they could take it to the house.

I don't care if McCall's 40 time is 4.9. It only took me watching him carry the ball about 5 times to realize that I want to see him play again soon. Coker hasn't looked to shabby either. We obviously don't want slow tailbacks but who cares about 40 times. Watch the game. It ain't hard to figure out whose got talent. Shonn Greene is a great example. Not the fastest guy in the world but a heck of a football player. If it was only about speed then every NFL team would be trying to sign Usain Bolt.

40 times . . . about as overblown a stat as the bench press. Although it's nice to have that speed, I agree with gamefilm, show me their 10 yard times. That tells me a lot more about how they hit the hole and get around the line.

I don't care if McCall's 40 time is 4.9. It only took me watching him carry the ball about 5 times to realize that I want to see him play again soon. Coker hasn't looked to shabby either. We obviously don't want slow tailbacks but who cares about 40 times. Watch the game. It ain't hard to figure out whose got talent. Shonn Greene is a great example. Not the fastest guy in the world but a heck of a football player. If it was only about speed then every NFL team would be trying to sign Usain Bolt.

He is on pace for 1300-1400 yards and 10-15 TDS... I agree...not to shabby.

You can run a 4.0, but if you can't find the hole and get through it and either have the ability to break a tackle or make someone miss... You are useless at the RB position.

4.4 is just pretty good, huh? What do you run, 4.3? Alabama and Florida have a bunch of 4.0 guys.
yeah d**k it is pretty good. Where did I say I could run a faster 40 time?

P.S. you made my point with this comment "Alabama and Florida have a bunch of 4.0 guys"....compared to the Alabama's and Florida's of the college football world 4.4 is pretty good but not great.

He was being sarcastic. There are probably only a handful of guys on the planet that run sub 4.3

Napoleon's uncle Rico ran something like a 3.87. But I heard he had the flu when he ran.
original.jpg

Last edited:
He was being sarcastic. There are probably only a handful of guys on the planet that run sub 4.3

I agree. Too many idiots out there who believe the self reported times of these HS recruits. Watch the NFL combine and you will see maybe a handful of guys truly even running a sub 4.40 and they typically your WRs and DBs. Any RBs under that are typically your smaller, speed backs like Chris Johnson.

If Canzeri is anywhere near a 4.40, color me impressed. Same for Johnson if he is in the 4.50 range. That is excellent speed if you ask me.

Latest posts