Freshman RB 40 times.

I agree. Too many idiots out there who believe the self reported times of these HS recruits. Watch the NFL combine and you will see maybe a handful of guys truly even running a sub 4.40 and they typically your WRs and DBs. Any RBs under that are typically your smaller, speed backs like Chris Johnson.

Or Bo Jackson, who was claimed to have run in the 4.1's (fully hand timed). Also the greatest Techmo Bowl player of all time.

Since the NFL combine went to fully automatic starts in 1999, the fastest time is held by Chris Johnson (4.24). Of all of the guys who have run 4.3 or faster since 1999 (15 in total), only 2 are studs (Chris Johnson and Champ Bailey), and only 1 other has been a regular starter (Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie).

Although a smokin' 40-time doesn't guarantee success, a really bad 40 time is a red-flag for NFL teams. This is because there is a lot of technique to running the 40, and there are now hundreds of people around the country who specialize in teaching you the tricks to running a better 40.

This wasn't true several decades ago when draft prep meant only trying to improve your football skills, not your combine skills. Back then a person could run a poor 40 due to poor test technique, but still be a very fast FB player. Anymore, with every potential draftee having ample opportunity to train specifically for the tests, a slow 40 either indicates you are really slow, or you are too lazy to put in the necessary work to train the technique. Either way it does not bode well for your professional future.

As many have said, HS 40 times are much less predictive, and I can guarantee you that coaches care much more about game film than HS combine results.

Or Bo Jackson, who was claimed to have run in the 4.1's (fully hand timed). Also the greatest Techmo Bowl player of all time.

Since the NFL combine went to fully automatic starts in 1999, the fastest time is held by Chris Johnson (4.24). Of all of the guys who have run 4.3 or faster since 1999 (15 in total), only 2 are studs (Chris Johnson and Champ Bailey), and only 1 other has been a regular starter (Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie).

Although a smokin' 40-time doesn't guarantee success, a really bad 40 time is a red-flag for NFL teams. This is because there is a lot of technique to running the 40, and there are now hundreds of people around the country who specialize in teaching you the tricks to running a better 40.

This wasn't true several decades ago when draft prep meant only trying to improve your football skills, not your combine skills. Back then a person could run a poor 40 due to poor test technique, but still be a very fast FB player. Anymore, with every potential draftee having ample opportunity to train specifically for the tests, a slow 40 either indicates you are really slow, or you are too lazy to put in the necessary work to train the technique. Either way it does not bode well for your professional future.

As many have said, HS 40 times are much less predictive, and I can guarantee you that coaches care much more about game film than HS combine results.

Truth.

Based on the 40 times and splits of these 2 players above, Coker is easily above 5 and his split isn't that low either. When Greene and Ingram got in the open they could take it to the house.

This is just silly. Coker is not a blazer but he's not putting up 5.0+ in the 40. Defensive lineman run better than that. 4.7 is a completely realistic 40 time for Coker.

To give you an idea Klug, Clayborn, and Ballard all ran a low 40 time around 4.7.

Last edited:
The 10 yard split is usually a better indicator of game speed than the 40.

It's largely about identifying(a combination of instincts and practice/film study) and getting to the whole quickly(reaction time and explosiveness). That said, hopefully, Canzeri gives a little more break away speed than we've had recently and that translates to some big plays.

yeah d**k it is pretty good. Where did I say I could run a faster 40 time?

P.S. you made my point with this comment "Alabama and Florida have a bunch of 4.0 guys"....compared to the Alabama's and Florida's of the college football world 4.4 is pretty good but not great.
Sorry, but 4.4 is real good speed and you seemed unimpressed. As already pointed out, nobody can run a flat 4.

Top 40 times at the 2011 NFL combine:
D. Scott (Maryland) - 4.34
M. Fannin (Auburn) - 4.38
D. Locke (Kentucky) - 4.40
J. Todman (UConn) - 4.40
D. Murray (Oklahoma) - 4.41
R. Helu (Nebraska) - 4.42
B. Saine (OSU) - 4.43
S. Vereen (Cal) - 4.50
A. Green (Hawaii) - 4.53
K. Hunter (Okie St) - 4.53

I would say if any of our RBs are in the 4.40's and 4.50's they are doing good. Coker's time could probably get down into the 4.60's which is not great but his style is not built on speed anyway.

Latest posts