Freshman Nate Meier working at RB

Greenway would agree with you. He never played REAL FOOTBALL and he never earned a PRO BOWL berth or became the Vikings DEFENSIVE MVP. He was just too weak and talentless because of his days playing 9-man football.

My god you people and your creepy defensiveness. Greenway would be the first to tell you that HE WAS NOT READY TO COMPETE AS A FRESHMAN. If you watch the big 10 network special called the next level (something like that), he says that very same thing. And that's why he didn't play until he was a third year.

Dallas Clark did, and said, nearly the exact same thing. He didn't really see the field until his third year. Both had position changes, as I expect with meier. If anything, small town guys work harder and play with a chip on their shoulder. And we've seen that.

Stop labeling me as some jerk. I think Meier will be a great hawk. 4 years from now I think we will all realize that he deserved the first scholarship offer instead of the last one.

I'm just saying that we shouldn't discount the transition! It's incomparable: iowa 8 man v big10

Last edited:
And my point about watching the 8 man is that anyone can clearly see it is very different from 11 man. If you played 8 man or something and you are so offended, please don't be.

I don't see how anyone can really argue with this point. However, of all positions, do you think it's fair to say that running back might be one of the easiest to make the transition from 8-man to 11-man? It seems to me that everything that happens between the handoff and the first level of the defense is pretty similar. Of course, when Meier gets through that first level, there's no one else to tackle him, and that inflates a lot of his stats. But to my untrained eye, he looks pretty good in terms of reading the hole, being patient, and following his blockers.

As a blocker, the obvious challenge is that he's going to have to deal with blitzes from positions that don't even exist in 8-man defenses. But how many 11-man freshman running backs come in knowing how to pick up a corner blitz anyway?

I could be totally wrong about this. I think it's a more interesting discussion, though, than just going back and forth between the speculation that either A) Meier will NEVER play RB for Iowa or B) he's will definitely play RB THIS YEAR.

I think Meier's destiny may be at defensive tackle, but...

With football the way it is now you ideally need a power back that can take a lot of hits in addition to some smaller agile guys. It's pretty rare to have one do-it-all back anymore (Shonn Green the last time that happened and he wasn't a great pass catcher. Coker I think could have been better in tandem with another runner). I think Barkley Hill could be that power back or Brad Rogers, but Meier could serve a role here, too. Iowa has plenty of the shiftier guys they can sprinkle in with Bullock, Garmon, and eventually Canzeri. And with depth the way it is now, I wouldn't be surprised if Meier stayed at RB for his first year.

This kid really looks like he has the ability to fit in at multiple positions. His running reminds me of A-Rob, not speedy but balanced and is able to just run through or bounce off contact. I think he would also fit in well at the Mike position. Has enough speed to cover receivers when needed, but has that tough nosed, loves contact kind of attitude to blow things up in the middle. I could also see him bulking up more and playing DE as long as he can keep his speed and of course learn everything there is about playing in the trenches. I'll be shocked if we don't see this kid playing somewhere regularly, but I'm going to say it won't be for a couple years and I think it will be on defense.

Anyone who wants to pigeon-hole Nate is fooling themselves. He's an "athlete" and its already been said that with a couple of years of development he could end up at any number of positions on offense or defense.
KF has always said that they try to recruit the best football players. Not specific positions. I think Meier is the poster boy for exactly that type of "player."
RB, LB, TE, DE or FB are the most likely positions and starting him at RB gives him a better overall view of the offense than any other position at this early stage in his development. To get one's grunders bunched over where any one individual will end up playing is as beneficial as beating your head into a wall. By all means continue.

Ok I will preface this with I have seen Nate play for the last 4 years as I live in the area and coach in the corner conference. Nate simply put is a beast. There were no big time offers because of grades and ACT test scores, somehow he pulled out a good score and then Iowa swoops in. Nate in my opinion is a MLB and could possibly be one of the best at that position. I know the Iowa coaches talked about giving him a shot at RB but kept talking about MLB as a destination. I would have concerns with Nate at RB, there is a lot more to the position at the D1 level. By the way he did play 11 man football in his younger years. They switched to 8 man I believe his sophomore year. He truly has great speed, power and a great football sense. For those doubters the Makovika boys from Nebraska were great fullbacks for Nebraska both as freshman....they played 8 man football too.

I don't see how anyone can really argue with this point. However, of all positions, do you think it's fair to say that running back might be one of the easiest to make the transition from 8-man to 11-man? It seems to me that everything that happens between the handoff and the first level of the defense is pretty similar. Of course, when Meier gets through that first level, there's no one else to tackle him, and that inflates a lot of his stats. But to my untrained eye, he looks pretty good in terms of reading the hole, being patient, and following his blockers.

As a blocker, the obvious challenge is that he's going to have to deal with blitzes from positions that don't even exist in 8-man defenses. But how many 11-man freshman running backs come in knowing how to pick up a corner blitz anyway?

I could be totally wrong about this. I think it's a more interesting discussion, though, than just going back and forth between the speculation that either A) Meier will NEVER play RB for Iowa or B) he's will definitely play RB THIS YEAR.

Yeah I think RB might be the easiest. It's not like the transition for a QB or something. This is a big cliche, but I think it's very true: RB transition is not that hard.

And about his blocking... We all hear that pass blocking pickup is what keeps many young backs off the field. But this kid isnt Fred Russel as a freshman, he's somewhere near 235 lbs and HE LOVES CONTACT. We all think of this topic as a pure skill thing that the freshman need time to learn. But from a football perspective, we're talking about stepping up around the pocket and keeping a big nasty defender off the QB. I have to think he's ahead of the curve! He probably doesn't have the reps doing this, or even the savy on how to block. But this guy is physical. We're not talking about ability to catch swing passes, we're talking about colliding an OLB. I think he could immediately be good at this. He needs to learn he scheme though

Let me ask you a simple question. If Barry Sanders played 8 man football versus 11 man football, would that mean he wasn't talented? If you have talent and by pure chance you end up playing at a lower level of football, that doesn't mean your talent doesn't exist. It means you had the bad luck to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. But Kirk thrives on finding kids who fit into this paradigm.

Talent is talent, regardless of the competition. Thank goodness some coaches think that the only gifted athletes in America play in talent-rich states at the very highest level. That thinking has allowed KF to earn a winning record against the SEC.

Nate in my opinion is a MLB and could possibly be one of the best at that position. I know the Iowa coaches talked about giving him a shot at RB but kept talking about MLB as a destination.

Seems pretty sensible to me. He looks like a MLB or DE prospect to me. I think in the old days of the B1G he'd be an easy fit at MLB but the way spread offenses are evolving he'd likely fit best at DE in the long run. Time well tell though.

...It appears that a Barry Sanders comparison was just made. JK

Look, no one is saying that he lacks talent. No one in their right mind is thinking that. And if anyone (across the country) would want to bash the 8 man kids and the small town kids from Nowheresville, it's not me. I respect the heck out of guys like this.

I'm just saying, I don't want to hear about his highlight tape. Its completely worthless analysis to me. I get it, he is a beast and no one could tackle him.

People think that by looking into this kids background and thinking about him as a young player, I'm somehow disrespecting Ferentz. How dare you question this kids ability! We have every right to.

You're not the only one that understands Iowa's history of finding small town guys and turning them into stars. We are all aware if it, and proud of it. The list of walk on or 1 star recruit type players that end up in the NFL is outstanding.

But the key to those stories and careers is that they spend 5 years at Iowa, develop under Doyle and three years later, they're great college players. They don't just show up in the big ten and carry the ball as an 18 year old. Your open denial that typically, guys like him never contribute right away is delusional. Meier may contribute right away, giving us reason to be skeptical. And the Sanders thing is just ridiculous.

My bad. Still not "real" football.

And Greenway wasn't a feature player as a true freshman, no. But he also wasn't as physically mature as Meier is, and needed to bulk up to play defense. It wasn't because the game of football was somehow foreign to him.

This is so much crap. You guys that haven't ever been through both 11 and 8 (or 9) man don't have a clue. Are there differences? Yes, but to say it's not real football is just ignorant. The kids still have to develop the same skill sets as they would in 11 man. A lot of the time, the sets and formations are just derivatives of 11 man.

There are plenty of kids that come out of these small schools and are damn good. Athletes aren't just born and developed in big towns.

With that said, Nate has a lot of upside. Not sure if he'll be able to contribute (or if he'll move positions) this year. But he'll help Iowa on the field in some way shape or form by during his time there. He has the size, strength and ability.

...It appears that a Barry Sanders comparison was just made. JK

Look, no one is saying that he lacks talent. No one in their right mind is thinking that. And if anyone (across the country) would want to bash the 8 man kids and the small town kids from Nowheresville, it's not me. I respect the heck out of guys like this.

I'm just saying, I don't want to hear about his highlight tape. Its completely worthless analysis to me. I get it, he is a beast and no one could tackle him.

People think that by looking into this kids background and thinking about him as a young player, I'm somehow disrespecting Ferentz. How dare you question this kids ability! We have every right to.

You're not the only one that understands Iowa's history of finding small town guys and turning them into stars. We are all aware if it, and proud of it. The list of walk on or 1 star recruit type players that end up in the NFL is outstanding.

But the key to those stories and careers is that they spend 5 years at Iowa, develop under Doyle and three years later, they're great college players. They don't just show up in the big ten and carry the ball as an 18 year old. Your open denial that typically, guys like him never contribute right away is delusional. Meier may contribute right away, giving us reason to be skeptical. And the Sanders thing is just ridiculous.

<<And the Sanders thing is just ridiculous>>

Really? You mean comparing a freshman in his first full week of fall camp to (arguably) the best college RB of the last 30 years is ridiculous? :)

Anyone who wants to pigeon-hole Nate is fooling themselves. He's an "athlete" and its already been said that with a couple of years of development he could end up at any number of positions on offense or defense.
KF has always said that they try to recruit the best football players. Not specific positions. I think Meier is the poster boy for exactly that type of "player."
RB, LB, TE, DE or FB are the most likely positions and starting him at RB gives him a better overall view of the offense than any other position at this early stage in his development. To get one's grunders bunched over where any one individual will end up playing is as beneficial as beating your head into a wall. By all means continue.

I was merely offering a comparison to a past player and other positions I thought would fit him better. No grunders in a bunch here. I could give 2 sh!ts where he finally ends up sticking. The coaches have a proven track record of finding the proper spots for players when there isn't a need somewhere else. I have full trust in them. I'm well aware of the type of recruiting that has gone on since Kirk arrived. I'll go back to beating my head into a wall though.

This is so much crap. You guys that haven't ever been through both 11 and 8 (or 9) man don't have a clue. Are there differences? Yes, but to say it's not real football is just ignorant. The kids still have to develop the same skill sets as they would in 11 man. A lot of the time, the sets and formations are just derivatives of 11 man.

There are plenty of kids that come out of these small schools and are damn good. Athletes aren't just born and developed in big towns.

With that said, Nate has a lot of upside. Not sure if he'll be able to contribute (or if he'll move positions) this year. But he'll help Iowa on the field in some way shape or form by during his time there. He has the size, strength and ability.

Are there differences in field dimension(s) for "less-than-11-man" football? Just curious, never been to a game, so I don't know. Not that I WOULD know just by eyeballing the field, I am sure.

Am I right in guessing that 7-/8-/9-man football is around because of small school size(s)?

I was merely offering a comparison to a past player and other positions I thought would fit him better. No grunders in a bunch here. I could give 2 sh!ts where he finally ends up sticking. The coaches have a proven track record of finding the proper spots for players when there isn't a need somewhere else. I have full trust in them. I'm well aware of the type of recruiting that has gone on since Kirk arrived. I'll go back to beating my head into a wall though.

<<I'll go back to beating my head into a wall though>>

Don't. It hurts like he&&.

My god you people and your creepy defensiveness. Greenway would be the first to tell you that HE WAS NOT READY TO COMPETE AS A FRESHMAN. If you watch the big 10 network special called the next level (something like that), he says that very same thing. And that's why he didn't play until he was a third year.

Dallas Clark did, and said, nearly the exact same thing. He didn't really see the field until his third year. Both had position changes, as I expect with meier. If anything, small town guys work harder and play with a chip on their shoulder. And we've seen that.

Stop labeling me as some jerk. I think Meier will be a great hawk. 4 years from now I think we will all realize that he deserved the first scholarship offer instead of the last one.

I'm just saying that we shouldn't discount the transition! It's incomparable: iowa 8 man v big10
I think maybe the defensiveness might be coming from the "real football" comment.........just a guess.:D

I think maybe the defensiveness might be coming from the "real football" comment.........just a guess.:D

Say Meier plays a lot this year, even carries the ball some. Someone should ask him after the season what 8 man was like compared to the big 10. I am willing to bet he would say 'its a completely different game'

(smiley face)

Say Meier plays a lot this year, even carries the ball some. Someone should ask him after the season what 8 man was like compared to the big 10. I am willing to bet he would say 'its a completely different game'

Only because 11 men SHOULD be able to tackle him easier than eight (smirk).

My guess is that he is playing RB during camp. Maybe they want to work him in at FB, in case Rogers moves to RB? He could become a Champ Davis-type H-Back, too, who knows?

I think we tend to take each day's camp "report" and read a whole season of projections into it.

He may work at RB the rest of the year, or we could have injuries elsewhere (I fervently pray we don't) that could precipitate a move.

At least he seems to have enough athleticism to warrant the discussion.

Latest posts