Freshman Nate Meier working at RB

Are there differences in field dimension(s) for "less-than-11-man" football? Just curious, never been to a game, so I don't know. Not that I WOULD know just by eyeballing the field, I am sure.

Am I right in guessing that 7-/8-/9-man football is around because of small school size(s)?

Yes and yes. School size is the factor. The field is only eighty yards long and is skinnier (I can't remember the yardage). You'd be able to tell by eye ball ;) Most of the lopsided scoring in 8 man has little to do with having less guys on the field. The size of the field compensates for the fewer players. The higher scores are usually the result of quality number of player. We're talking about schools that average around 30 kids out for football. So, some of these schools won't be able to field good teams. On the other hand, if you have 7-9 good players, you can do a lot of stuff and be successful. Whereas, if you would have 7-9 good players in 11 man, you probably won't be too successful.

This is so much crap. You guys that haven't ever been through both 11 and 8 (or 9) man don't have a clue. Are there differences? Yes, but to say it's not real football is just ignorant. The kids still have to develop the same skill sets as they would in 11 man. A lot of the time, the sets and formations are just derivatives of 11 man.

There are plenty of kids that come out of these small schools and are damn good. Athletes aren't just born and developed in big towns.

With that said, Nate has a lot of upside. Not sure if he'll be able to contribute (or if he'll move positions) this year. But he'll help Iowa on the field in some way shape or form by during his time there. He has the size, strength and ability.

If only Bob and Teddy weren't brain damaged they could "get it". But they are and they can't.

Say Meier plays a lot this year, even carries the ball some. Someone should ask him after the season what 8 man was like compared to the big 10. I am willing to bet he would say 'its a completely different game'

(smiley face)

I would venture to guess that all the freshmen that see the field would say that:p

I haven't seen people from small towns get this ****** off and defensive since Couric was asking Palin about the economy and which magazines she read.

Also, if Meier stops 10 yards short of the sideline on his first carry, then starts to walk slowly back to the huddle and gets blindsided by a linebacker, we'll know he isn't quite ready.

I haven't seen people from small towns get this ****** off and defensive since Couric was asking Palin about the economy and which magazines she read.

Also, if Meier stops 10 yards short of the sideline on his first carry, then starts to walk slowly back to the huddle and gets blindsided by a linebacker, we'll know he isn't quite ready.

:D He might just get winded and pulled up short of the endzone! :p

Get what, exactly? That the average kid from an 8 man team is equivalent to an average player on a 4A team? I don't get that, and I'm not brain damaged.

Just because you put your words into size 30 font and make it bold, doesn't mean you're right.

Look at CJF, he's from a small town of 5000. And he was really highly rated as a prospect. Also, he was very physically advanced as a HS kid. But he didn't contribute to the offense his freshman season (he played pretty well on specials). He didn't get time at TE his freshman year. He wasn't ready. To expect a kid to be ready from the 8 man is absurd.

This conversation never would have gotten very far if you didn't attempt to claim that he has never played "real football". Its different, but its football.

Maybe I shouldn't have said that.

I just wanted to stress that we are talking about him as a RB. In 8 man they have three offensive lineman. Three. Let alone the level of competition he faced. I know his tape is great, but people need to slow down with Barry Sanders comparisons and references to all time greats like Chad Greenway.

Imagine if Iowa signed a basketball prospect from some small town, and he was pretty big and athletic, and by all accounts a good player. But he came from a district that only played 3 on 3 basketball. And the people that grew up in that culture defended it passionately, talking about how great it is. They are probably right, it's probably really fun to play and watch, but how would the kid translate to the Big 10. Possibly, he would be really good in the Big 10, he could be great. And I think Meier will be great.

But I'm not wrong to be skeptical about his highlight tape. And, my original point was: 'I could argue it's not even real football', I don't think I'm wrong about that either.

You also haven't seen people (2 actually) this butthurt over the idea that the city you were born in doesn't determine how talented a football player you are. I'm sure if Meier's parents had chosen to raise their son in Miami this discussion would be different. Because he would not have been a bench warmer. I think he still would've been a star. I know Bob and Carol and Ted and Alice think he would've quit his sophomore year in sheer terror of the other kids. LOL

You also haven't seen people (2 actually) this butthurt over the idea that the city you were born in doesn't determine how talented a football player you are. I'm sure if Meier's parents had chosen to raise their son in Miami this discussion would be different. Because he would not have been a bench warmer. I think he still would've been a star. I know Bob and Carol and Ted and Alice think he would've quit his sophomore year in sheer terror of the other kids. LOL

Sorry, but that’s just wrong, and I transferred from a 3A program to 4A. Bigger schools have more kids which breeds higher competition which requires overachieving (much like academics). The good athletes are attracted by nice facilities, more people at the games, coaches w/ higher pedigree, better college connections, etc. A few exceptions like Ed Thomas of course.

I know you’re saying there’s talented players in every class, which there is, but they’re much higher per capita in the bigger schools.

Sorry, but that’s just wrong, and I transferred from a 3A program to 4A. Bigger schools have more kids which breeds higher competition which requires overachieving (much like academics). The good athletes are attracted by nice facilities, more people at the games, coaches w/ higher pedigree, better college connections, etc. A few exceptions like Ed Thomas of course.

I know you’re saying there’s talented players in every class, which there is, but they’re much higher per capita in the bigger schools.

He's not wrong, and your last statement agrees with him. There is talent in every class. Just not as many talented kids int he lower classes. That doesn't mean a kid in 8-man couldn't compete in 4-A.

Get what, exactly? That the average kid from an 8 man team is equivalent to an average player on a 4A team? I don't get that, and I'm not brain damaged.

Just because you put your words into size 30 font and make it bold, doesn't mean you're right.

Look at CJF, he's from a small town of 5000. And he was really highly rated as a prospect. Also, he was very physically advanced as a HS kid. But he didn't contribute to the offense his freshman season (he played pretty well on specials). He didn't get time at TE his freshman year. He wasn't ready. To expect a kid to be ready from the 8 man is absurd.

1. Nobody said the average 8-man player is as good as the average 4A player. They aren't. But that doesn't mean the best players in 8- man couldn't play as well or better than the best in 4A.

2. CJF and Ferentz both have said that CJF didn't work particularly hard for his first year and a half. That was a REALLY big factor in his lack of playing time, especially since he needed to work hard on his blocking. Meier may come in with less of a sense of entitlement and bust his *** right out of the gate, not unlike other unheralded recruits of years past.

This is so much crap. You guys that haven't ever been through both 11 and 8 (or 9) man don't have a clue. Are there differences? Yes, but to say it's not real football is just ignorant. The kids still have to develop the same skill sets as they would in 11 man. A lot of the time, the sets and formations are just derivatives of 11 man.

There are plenty of kids that come out of these small schools and are damn good. Athletes aren't just born and developed in big towns.

With that said, Nate has a lot of upside. Not sure if he'll be able to contribute (or if he'll move positions) this year. But he'll help Iowa on the field in some way shape or form by during his time there. He has the size, strength and ability.

I don't have anything against 8-man ball. My alma mater is making the switch to it this year, and I'm excited about it. But one of the posters said 8-man isn't real football. I was being sarcastic.

Maybe I shouldn't have said that. I just wanted to stress that we are talking about him as a RB. In 8 man they have three offensive lineman. Three. Let alone the level of competition he faced. I know his tape is great, but people need to slow down with Barry Sanders comparisons and references to all time greats like Chad Greenway.Imagine if Iowa signed a basketball prospect from some small town, and he was pretty big and athletic, and by all accounts a good player. But he came from a district that only played 3 on 3 basketball. And the people that grew up in that culture defended it passionately, talking about how great it is. They are probably right, it's probably really fun to play and watch, but how would the kid translate to the Big 10. Possibly, he would be really good in the Big 10, he could be great. And I think Meier will be great.But I'm not wrong to be skeptical about his highlight tape. And, my original point was: 'I could argue it's not even real football', I don't think I'm wrong about that either.

someone used Barry sanders as an example to try to prove a point but I'm pretty sure no one compared meier to him

I don't have anything against 8-man ball. My alma mater is making the switch to it this year, and I'm excited about it. But one of the posters said 8-man isn't real football. I was being sarcastic.

I saw the earlier one too. Missed your sarcasm :eek:

Wayne is going 8-man? Numbers really dropped the last few years or what?

Latest posts